Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times

Advertisements

Just curious...How far north can the Burmese Python (that were recently introduced to Florida) migrate to? I understand that they are close to Tampa now. Can they colonize all of Florida? Could they spread even further north? How far will they eventually go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

284 posts, read 985,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Just curious...How far north can the Burmese Python (that were recently introduced to Florida) migrate to? I understand that they are close to Tampa now. Can they colonize all of Florida? Could they spread even further north? How far will they eventually go?
I was watching a show the other night and they said they can live as far north as South Carolina , i'm considering moving to fla and this kinda scares me

Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
Default No Pictures, Please!!!!

I'm curious, too, but research always involves pictures of the dreadful things.

What is their normal habitat, their diet, what would make them migrate, etc.?

Are there any herpetologists out there?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 PM

284 posts, read 985,941 times
The Nature Conservancy in Florida - Stopping a Burmese Python Invasion

Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
The latest cold snap has killed a lot, so they are thinking maybe they won't spread as far north as the y originally thought. But who knows? I do know that they have found some in Okeechobee and at least one in Stuart.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
They've got them as far north as The Villages.Thats where that big one got the little girl. I'm pretty sure that's what got them going on that Python hunting craze.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
I'm curious, too, but research always involves pictures of the dreadful things.

What is their normal habitat, their diet, what would make them migrate, etc.?

Are there any herpetologists out there?
Snakes don't migrate, they don't go hardly anywhere. They are only around because they get away from owners or were let go. To human they are pretty much harmless. They are just interested in rats and small rodents. Snakes are very timid. They can give you a nasty bite but it will be a defensive thing and they will be looking to escape. I have owned big snakes and there is nothing to be afraid of unless you are a small animal they may want to eat.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Snakes don't migrate, they don't go hardly anywhere. They are only around because they get away from owners or were let go. To human they are pretty much harmless. They are just interested in rats and small rodents. Snakes are very timid. They can give you a nasty bite but it will be a defensive thing and they will be looking to escape. I have owned big snakes and there is nothing to be afraid of unless you are a small animal they may want to eat.
These Burmese pythons are eating other everglades species out of their natural habitat. It is not just "rats and small rodents" try large birds, bobcat, deer & alligators too.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...9976?p=1&tc=pg

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-11-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
There's someone in Volusia or Brevard County with one living under their house--and it had babies! It was on the news the other day, they don't have the $350 that the pest guy wants to remove it.

Last edited by annerk; 02-12-2010 at 04:08 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
These Burmese pythons are eating other everglades species out of their natural habitat. It is not just "rats and small rodents" try large birds, bobcat, deer & alligators too.

Expert to study snakes’ northward migration | TuscaloosaNews.com
That was a good article. It also answers how they are moving around so much. As I said they don't migrate. I can see how a shake taking a nice soak in a river can find it's self miles from where it went in and as a result their area expands. My real point was, the fear of them is what they do to the natural balance of nature in Florida. Creating some panic like they will be chasing people down the street is just silly. Venomous snakes ARE a real danger, but these pose little real danger to humans. They will never get rid of them now that they have a foothold. They have no real enemies and can go 6 months without eating, They are here to stay so people better get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida