Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times

Advertisements

I posted awhile back and since then decided to expand our search to all of FL. First, about us. Mid/late 20s, no kids, self employed. Will pay cash for the house, max is $120,000. Would consider fixer upper also. Need 3 bedroom, decent area, my husband wants country and I prefer nice neighborhood (this were still debating). We enjoy dining, beaches, lakes, hiking, museums, attractions, flea markets, antique malls. For a town, we prefer smaller-medium sized (current town is 27k pop) a nice downtown, outdoor options like trails and parks. Amenities like restaurants, grocery stores, movie theater, target ect. We do not want a "party" town or anywhere thats known for wild spring breakers. We are also fine with an older demographic or family friendly areas.

Also, we need to be in or near a good rental market. We like to buy forclosures/fixer uppers and fix them up/rent out. Also have been looking into the idea of vacation rentals but not sure yet about it. Another side job we do is lawncare. Mowing, muching, ect. We will not be looking for jobs, though if we ever do want part time jobs would be retail, bank teller, entry level jobs.

So far our search has led us to north port, englewood, vero beach, sabastian and port st lucie. This was concentrating more southern florida. We are open to suggestions elsewhere. We considered lakeland, but ruled it out. I have been looking more northern but not much has caught my eye. St augustine sounds fairly nice, close to major cities. I am not sure what we would like more, northern or southern. from what iv read, the north sounds like a lot of rednecks.. which is why i hadnt looked much into it. Is that really true? We wouldnt want to be around that so much.

We visited last year for 2 months in july and august (around sarasota, which we loved) but this year were coming down in middle of December to see what it is like in winter vs summer. Plus, heard traffic is much worse at that time. we plan to visit any towns on our list.

If you have any good suggestions of towns for us to look into it would be much appreciated. We are hoping to move late next year if were able to sell by them. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post

So far our search has led us to north port, englewood, vero beach, sabastian and port st lucie. This was concentrating more southern florida. We are open to suggestions elsewhere. We considered lakeland, but ruled it out. I have been looking more northern but not much has caught my eye. St augustine sounds fairly nice, close to major cities. I am not sure what we would like more, northern or southern. from what iv read, the north sounds like a lot of rednecks.. which is why i hadnt looked much into it. Is that really true? We wouldnt want to be around that so much.

We visited last year for 2 months in july and august (around sarasota, which we loved) but this year were coming down in middle of December to see what it is like in winter vs summer. Plus, heard traffic is much worse at that time. we plan to visit any towns on our list.

If you have any good suggestions of towns for us to look into it would be much appreciated. We are hoping to move late next year if were able to sell by them. Thanks
Rednecks are indeed in much of North FL/Panhandle.
You really won't have to worry about that in St-Augustine or St-John's county as a whole.
Seems to be that any town in St-John's county would be a good fit for you.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Rednecks are indeed in much of North FL/Panhandle.
You really won't have to worry about that in St-Augustine or St-John's county as a whole.
Seems to be that any town in St-John's county would be a good fit for you.
Yes, st johns county sounds very nice and there are many outdoor activities within an hour radius. Are there any other similar counties/towns like that, gulf or atlantic side either central or northern we should consider?

I will certainly keep st johns county on our radar. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:47 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Since you are already going to look at North Port and Englewood you may want to also look at Punta Gorda. You mention lawn mowing and landscaping and there is a large deed restricted section there called Punta Gorda Isles. People aren't allowed sheds so most hire landscapers. It also has a very good rental market.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:23 PM

Thanks vacoder, I will check into it for sure!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
I posted awhile back and since then decided to expand our search to all of FL. First, about us. Mid/late 20s, no kids, self employed. Will pay cash for the house, max is $120,000. Would consider fixer upper also. Need 3 bedroom, decent area, my husband wants country and I prefer nice neighborhood (this were still debating). We enjoy dining, beaches, lakes, hiking, museums, attractions, flea markets, antique malls. For a town, we prefer smaller-medium sized (current town is 27k pop) a nice downtown, outdoor options like trails and parks. Amenities like restaurants, grocery stores, movie theater, target ect. We do not want a "party" town or anywhere thats known for wild spring breakers. We are also fine with an older demographic or family friendly areas.

Also, we need to be in or near a good rental market. We like to buy forclosures/fixer uppers and fix them up/rent out. Also have been looking into the idea of vacation rentals but not sure yet about it. Another side job we do is lawncare. Mowing, muching, ect. We will not be looking for jobs, though if we ever do want part time jobs would be retail, bank teller, entry level jobs.

Yep avoid the northern areas, doing the red necks a favor as they like to be around friendly non judgmental people who make good neighbors.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:25 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep avoid the northern areas, doing the red necks a favor as they like to be around friendly non judgmental people who make good neighbors.
I didn't think OP was being judgmental at all. Simply stated that living in redneck's paradise isn't their cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that. Rednecks live a certain lifestyle, and not everyone wants to be a part of it.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Also, we need to be in or near a good rental market. We like to buy forclosures/fixer uppers and fix them up/rent out. Also have been looking into the idea of vacation rentals but not sure yet about it.
You didn't get this idea from one of those TV "flipper" shows, did you? I always figured that if they were doing so well, they wouldn't have time to do a TV show.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
I don't think in this market you would have much of an inventory at $125K, even to fix up, in the areas you're describing, especially not the St Johns/St Augustine area.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:48 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,989,141 times
I think Palm Coast could be a great fit for you. It's halfway between Daytona Beach and St Augustine and also halfway between Orlando and Jacksonville. Lots of parks and preserves, flea markets, farmers' markets. Definitely not a party town, pretty quiet, but we always find lots to do here or in the surrounding areas. Palm Coast isn't trying to attract a rowdy crowd of tourists, in fact, they've been very successful in promoting their sport complex and bringing in softball and lacrosse type tournaments, so lots of families. Housing is still reasonable. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida