Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:27 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,529,014 times

Advertisements

Dear Florida,

Moving here in 2011 we had such high hopes, beautiful beaches and lush green landscapes with pretty good weather. Well after almost five years the bloom has faded....drastically....and it is time to face facts. This is not working and it is time to break up. I will admit that some of it is me but mostly...it's you:

- Out biggest complaint is quite honestly the people, we have met some amazing people we will never forget but as a whole the population here is quite rough around the edges. A lot of anger right below the surface and a whole lot of redneck white trash. Now by white trash I do not refer to any kind of socioeconomic status, someone can have a lot of money and still be white trash. Mod Edit It is a matter of behavior. There is a tremendous amount of stupidity here and while that cannot be helped sometimes it is as if people are proud of being willfully ignorant. I have worked in two dozen states and lived in five and I have to say the Florida population is the absolute worst I have had to deal with. It's like a melting pot of the worst character traits of men.

- There is a pervasive sense of mediocrity here. People just simply do not demand better. This was even a topic on an article last year in the Washington Post written by someone who could not understand why Floridians were putting up with such nonsense from the state government. The only conclusion they could draw was that Floridians are so used to mediocrity that nothing fazes them anymore. Natives get upset when newcomers complain about Florida and that is understandable but the natives have no concept of how much better things could be. Coming to Florida and dealing with state licensing agencies and utilities felt like going back in time.

- Florida has done an extremely poor job at traffic management. Yes there are cities that are worse however given the population here it should not be nearly as bad as it is. Poor planning and oversight have made the Tampa Bay area miserable. Developers should be paying for road improvements that should be completed BEFORE the new housing community or shopping mall are built. It's just way to hard to get around Tampa and we are at the point where we just don't want to anymore.

Hopefully you will get the help you need (competent leadership...etc.) We wish you the best and hope you can overcome your issues but we will not be here to watch.
we
are
done.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 02-13-2016 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Edited to keep national politics out of the thread.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
I think the message is that Rick Scott is a bad governor. And this native Floridian agrees with you.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:58 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
buh bye,.......

CN.......

Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 AM

473 posts, read 544,206 times
See ya !!!!!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:08 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I agree with the people part. And a lot of ppl feel the same way as you. I'm a native but the number of ppl that have moved to this state over the yrs......it's like FL attracts more scum than most states. Where are you headed? If you like Fl but want a better brand of ppl, I would look into NC. It's where most Floridians move to but you get the 4 seasons and mountains or beaches. The people are friendlier and seem genuinely happy to be there.

I was at the gas station last night just picking something up. I had to interact with one of these idiots, all I wanted to do was buy something and go home. A group of ppl were so loud and obnoxious in there. Standing in ppl way, not moving, basically just being complete dicks. I asked the guy in my way if he was buying something bc he was just standing there, literally sideways. Looking off into space. He goes "yea" with a really rude attitude. I said ok. After he pulled out of the parking lot I pulled up behind him both leaving and turning right out of the parking lot. This guy was like in his late 40s. He was texting or playing with his phone. I waited patiently. He kept doing it. So I drove around him and exited the gas station. I didn't honk bc he literally was giving off the vibe that he may get a baseball bat or gun if you tick him off. By the way, NY Yankees license plate bracket. Dude looked like he was from Spanish Harlem or something. So I just drove around him rather than risk an altercation.

But my point is, damn man. I just want to pick up something and go home. Do I really have to deal with idiots and or *******s that are just looking for trouble? I'm 2 miles from my home, I just wanna go home and not be bothered by just..... Idiots with nothing better to do than to act like a moron. And it just seems that FL has waaaaaaaaay more of these ppl than other places.

It's not the natives for the most part, believe me. Most natives are just regular working people.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:55 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Dear Florida,

Moving here in 2011 we had such high hopes, beautiful beaches and lush green landscapes with pretty good weather. Well after almost five years the bloom has faded....drastically....and it is time to face facts. This is not working and it is time to break up. I will admit that some of it is me but mostly...it's you:

- Out biggest complaint is quite honestly the people, we have met some amazing people we will never forget but as a whole the population here is quite rough around the edges. A lot of anger right below the surface and a whole lot of redneck white trash. Now by white trash I do not refer to any kind of socioeconomic status, someone can have a lot of money and still be white trash. (See Trump, Donald) It is a matter of behavior. There is a tremendous amount of stupidity here and while that cannot be helped sometimes it is as if people are proud of being willfully ignorant. I have worked in two dozen states and lived in five and I have to say the Florida population is the absolute worst I have had to deal with. It's like a melting pot of the worst character traits of men.

- There is a pervasive sense of mediocrity here. People just simply do not demand better. This was even a topic on an article last year in the Washington Post written by someone who could not understand why Floridians were putting up with such nonsense from the state government. The only conclusion they could draw was that Floridians are so used to mediocrity that nothing fazes them anymore. Natives get upset when newcomers complain about Florida and that is understandable but the natives have no concept of how much better things could be. Coming to Florida and dealing with state licensing agencies and utilities felt like going back in time.

- Florida has done an extremely poor job at traffic management. Yes there are cities that are worse however given the population here it should not be nearly as bad as it is. Poor planning and oversight have made the Tampa Bay area miserable. Developers should be paying for road improvements that should be completed BEFORE the new housing community or shopping mall are built. It's just way to hard to get around Tampa and we are at the point where we just don't want to anymore.

Hopefully you will get the help you need (competent leadership...etc.) We wish you the best and hope you can overcome your issues but we will not be here to watch.
we
are
done.
You really hit the nail on the head with that post. Good luck with your move. There really is life after living in Florida.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:09 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
The OP is right. This has become a bad state with all the low lifes.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Dear Florida,

- Out biggest complaint is quite honestly the people, we have met some amazing people we will never forget but as a whole the population here is quite rough around the edges. A lot of anger right below the surface and a whole lot of redneck white trash. Now by white trash I do not refer to any kind of socioeconomic status, someone can have a lot of money and still be white trash. Mod Edit It is a matter of behavior. There is a tremendous amount of stupidity here and while that cannot be helped sometimes it is as if people are proud of being willfully ignorant. I have worked in two dozen states and lived in five and I have to say the Florida population is the absolute worst I have had to deal with. It's like a melting pot of the worst character traits of men.

we
are
done.
I think examples of what you are saying would be helpful. Such generalizations are pretty vague.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:51 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
I realized the same thing and left. Life is better post-Florida.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:05 PM

120 posts, read 118,163 times
Quote:
Dear Florida,

we
are
done.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. You are absolutely right in every point you made. I was born/raised here but I have traveled extensively all over the country and lived outside of Floriduh. I've been back here for years but I'm planning to move this summer. I just can't take it anymore. Most of the people here are either outright rude or passive/aggressive. The majority of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis are ignorant, rude, arrogant, or otherwise negative and complacent being so. There are alot of good people here, unfortunately just enough to outweigh the bad and persuade me to stay. I'm a people person, I have friends from all walks of life and many nationalities. I don't have a problem with people, I have a problem with Floriduh people. And before everyone jumps on me with the old "there's no natives in Florida, they're all from NY/OH", let me just say there are ALOT of natives here. Alot of people born/raised here and OK with the way things are. Good for them. I've spent alot of time in both NY and OH and for the most part, people are alot better in general. It seems like they move down here with a sense of entitlement and it changes them. I was born and raised here and I have watched the quality of life decline over the years. We are cramming more and more people into this state and it's getting crazy. If you go anywhere outside of the major metro areas (Tampa Bay, Miami, Orlando) you better be white/straight/republican if you expect to fit in. Don't get me wrong - Floriduh is a GREAT place to vacation, especially if you come from a cold climate. The beaches are beautiful, food/shopping is cheap, and there's lots to do - as a tourist. The tourist areas of Floriduh are great. If you live here and avoid those areas (as alot of us do) it's not that great. The traffic is terrible - law enforcement has been lax for one reason or another in enforcing traffic laws and they have lost control. The pill and drug epidemic is still out of control, you see it on a daily basis. The local and state governments operate on the premise they won't push any laws or regulations very hard if doing so will endanger our tourist income. Great for the tourist, terrible for the resident. The whitetrash/redneck 'movement' is getting out of hand - it's glamorous to be part of this fad and it's increasing. You can't drive for 10 minutes without witnessing some jacka$$ in a huge pickup truck blowing thick black diesel smoke because it's "cool".
Enough with my rant, I'm moving away for all of these reasons and more. Floriduh is not what it used to be and not in a good way.

Last edited by GoodBeer; 02-13-2016 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida