Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:32 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times

Advertisements

AS I STATED EARLIER......

We live in Wesley Chapel and really like that area.

Walking the hood at night - seriously?

The roads and freeways here are awful, construction takes forever and then the finished product is not even a nice smooth road but a patchwork bumpy mess. How many years did it take to build ONE lane on I75? And why was the freeway only two lanes outside of Tampa anyway - in 2011!!
Tampa is just an ugly dirty city. Some cute older neighborhoods surrounded by trash. Some of the supposed 'nice' areas are just gross. There is just no reason to go there other than maybe the Straz on occasion. We were soo disappointed the first time we went to St Pete...other than downtown..i just do not get it.
Clearwater....a beautiful beach surrounded by sleaze and grossness,,,and again some cute neighborhoods.
Tampa/St Pete isn't awful - it's just mediocre.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:34 PM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
Where are the natives? Just hard working mind your own business keep the peace kind of thing...
I found Appalachiola to be hard working oystermen. Very respectful and just wanting a 6 pack and go home and do it all the next day. (Could never spell Apalachiola)

Old 02-14-2016, 03:37 PM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
Default Florida

I all my experiences in FL vacationing there for 45 years off and on I have never had a confrontation and the people like you said are friendly at the store. Just depends where you go I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
This is a very stupid and very naive topic/post.

Florida is massive, and unless you have lived in every area and even every suburb, you have no idea. Florida has everything, every type of neighborhood and all sorts of different people in different areas. Where I live, people are very friendly, intelligent, well off, etc.

How easy you could spend time in a certain part of Seattle or wherever, that isn't quite so friendly. Then swear Washington is full of stupid people. I have no problem surrounding myself with highly educated, friendly people in Florida. And when I'm at the store, the cashier smiles and says hello. Neighbors wave as they drive by.

I've also been in very unfriendly areas and stupid areas in the most progressive countries in the world. But I don't judge the entire country that way.

Quite frankly, maybe it's YOU. Clearly you are attention starved. Maybe people just don't like you? Good bye, good riddance.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I all my experiences in FL vacationing there for 45 years off and on I have never had a confrontation and the people like you said are friendly at the store. Just depends where you go I guess.
It really depends on your perception of what is happening around you. Ive never had, nor seen, any confrontations taking place in any place Ive been unless you count a customer advising a cashier that the item rang up at the wrong price.

Seems certain people find themselves involved in confrontations on a regular basis.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
This is a very stupid and very naive topic/post.

Florida is massive, and unless you have lived in every area and even every suburb, you have no idea. Florida has everything, every type of neighborhood and all sorts of different people in different areas. Where I live, people are very friendly, intelligent, well off, etc.

How easy you could spend time in a certain part of Seattle or wherever, that isn't quite so friendly. Then swear Washington is full of stupid people. I have no problem surrounding myself with highly educated, friendly people in Florida. And when I'm at the store, the cashier smiles and says hello. Neighbors wave as they drive by.

I've also been in very unfriendly areas and stupid areas in the most progressive countries in the world. But I don't judge the entire country that way.

Quite frankly, maybe it's YOU. Clearly you are attention starved. Maybe people just don't like you? Good bye, good riddance.
I don't think it's the OP. Typical response though. He's entitled to his opinion as many others have also agreed and noted some of the very same thing. Probably something to it, don'tcha think?

Old 02-14-2016, 04:33 PM

PDF just made the move from FL to Raleigh. Maybe he will chime in but I bet 100$ that he will say the deterioration of the place is not near the degree of how bad FL has changed.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
PDF just made the move from FL to Raleigh. Maybe he will chime in but I bet 100$ that he will say the deterioration of the place is not near the degree of how bad FL has changed.
Do you believe that the entire state of FL has changed? I will attest that Orlando is not the same as it was 25, even 20 years ago. For 12-13 years my office was in Winter Park and I had no reason to go downtown. I had to attend a meeting near Lake Eola and I could not grasp the transition. That transition spread east on Colonial Drive. The mall that Dillards was in was demolished and a more modern development took its place as did the Winter Park mall on 17-92. Little Saigon (Mills/50) popped up in what seemed ro be overnight. Going further east on 50 towards Christmas got developed as well. Same thing happened in the Winter Springs/Oviedo area, i.e. Chapman Rd/434.

Then you visit a town like Ft. Lonesome, 35 miles SE of Tampa and its another world. Try Spring Lake in Pasco County, try Milton up by Pensacola, Gulfport or any one of hundreds of communities where you don't see anything that is like the Orlando metro area. No, the entire state has not changed but certainly the urban centers have.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:16 PM

No I don't believe the entire state has changed, most of it though, yes.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:17 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post

I have lived in FL for close to 40 yrs, worked and raised a family here, and I never had such a confrontation either. Some folks I have met along the way kept to themselves, maintained a professional demeanor, or were very friendly, just human nature, I think.
Perhaps one's own attitude influences how others react to him/ her.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
6 months now. While I know that NC is experiencing major growth and no place that goes through that will remain the same, NC has been able to retain its culture and the things that make it nice. Florida was just a mess to begin with. I don't think NC or any other newly popular place will become as bad as FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida