Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:26 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

There's a few hours in the morning where it isn't hot, but usually be 8-9am...walk outside and you'll be sweating. Same thing for at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
You folks sure can split hairs.

The summer dew points between Charlotte NC and Orlando FL are within a few degrees of each other.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
The further inland you are the worse it is. I live in Jax about 10 miles inland and the difference at my house versus the beach is amazing. The heat and humidity alone is not what is intolerable for most people, its the length of time the heat and humidity stay around. Months on end of 90-95 degree days with horrible humidity start to wear on you. A day here and there is nothing, but 90-120 days in a row (minimum and this is north Florida) of it is not easy on some people.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

The summer dew points between Charlotte NC and Orlando FL are within a few degrees of each other.

It doesn't feel as hot that's for sure. I've been in Raleigh at times when it felt almost as hot, but you can still tell a difference. And it doesn't last for nearly as long.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:

Having lived in NC that is true. I hear about "you will sweat the minute you go outside" type remarks and it seems a bit unreal. I know humidity and high dew points are bad, but I have checked several States against Central FL and see no real difference. Longer yes, but worse, no.I am still trying to see if it is as bad or is being exaggerated to make a point. Where I live now if i work hard in the yard, OK I sweat, but not if I just walk the neighborhood.

I have been to al parts of FL, from the Keys to Pensacola to Amelia Island and virtually everywhere in between at all times of the year and have not felt it being that bad. Yet I have friends from FL who use it as an explanation for staying away now that they have moved.

If for instance, I lived in Melbourne or say Tarpon Springs and want to walk around the block in the AM, say between 9AM and Noon, not fast, just a stroll, will I really be dripping wet almost immediately? This seems unreal, but again I have not been in any one area for more than a week, and maybe I hit at a nice time?

Old 03-04-2016, 06:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
It doesn't feel as hot that's for sure. I've been in Raleigh at times when it felt almost as hot, but you can still tell a difference. And it doesn't last for nearly as long.
Of course it doesnt last as long there. NC is 600 miles north of here. Upper NY State's winter lasts longer than NYC's winter, they get a whole lot of snow - about 6 feet - a year. It is only 300 or so miles from NYC to the Canadian border.

The key is - The further you go south in the northern hemisphere the closer you get to the equator thus the warmer the temperatures and the warmer the year round climate.

For MOST of us who relocated to Florida that news did not come as a surprise. MOST of us who relocated to Florida prefer the sub-tropical environment and do not have major difficulty with the weather. I am sure there are many people who may have thought otherwise and did find it a surprise and many more people who under estimated the length of time where temperatures exceed 80f. Humidity is prominent throughout the eastern seaboard. I find it easier to deal with high humidity on a regular basis over having "hazy, hot and humid" conditions sporadically.

Lots of people like vanilla ice cream and lots like chocolate while some dont like either.

I lived in a place where summers were hazy, hot and humid (June to September) and progressively colder from September to March leaving 2 months of enjoyable weather. For many that is great. For me it was very uncomfortable and miserable from late September through March.

The bottom line is when you relocate you really should understand what the weather is like throughout the year and if a place historically has weather you wouldnt like make sure to cross that place off your list because it wont magically change to suit you.

Those who constantly complain about the weather here, or anywhere, need to take immediate action to locate a place where the weather is more to their liking. Its not difficult to figure out.

The "it's hot in Florida" thing needs to be retired and those who complain that "it's hot in Florida" need to stay away from the southern part of the country coast to coast with very few exceptions.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Having lived in NC that is true. I hear about "you will sweat the minute you go outside" type remarks and it seems a bit unreal. I know humidity and high dew points are bad, but I have checked several States against Central FL and see no real difference. Longer yes, but worse, no.I am still trying to see if it is as bad or is being exaggerated to make a point. Where I live now if i work hard in the yard, OK I sweat, but not if I just walk the neighborhood.

I have been to al parts of FL, from the Keys to Pensacola to Amelia Island and virtually everywhere in between at all times of the year and have not felt it being that bad. Yet I have friends from FL who use it as an explanation for staying away now that they have moved.

If for instance, I lived in Melbourne or say Tarpon Springs and want to walk around the block in the AM, say between 9AM and Noon, not fast, just a stroll, will I really be dripping wet almost immediately? This seems unreal, but again I have not been in any one area for more than a week, and maybe I hit at a nice time?
You will be sweating pretty quickly. Maybe not immediately. But probably quicker than you will expect, if you haven't felt Fla in the summer, it's pretty ruthless.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:30 AM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Quote:
The bottom line is when you relocate you really should understand what the weather is like throughout the year and if a place historically has weather you wouldnt like make sure to cross that place off your list because it wont magically change to suit you.

Those who constantly complain about the weather here, or anywhere, need to take immediate action to locate a place where the weather is more to their liking. Its not difficult to figure out.

The "it's hot in Florida" thing needs to be retired and those who complain that "it's hot in Florida" need to stay away from the southern part of the country coast to coast with very few exceptions.
AMEN to that ^^^^^^^^^^
Seems like common sense to just go where you'd be happy, yet so many people stay where they're miserable and constantly complain about it. Of course its hot in Florida and that is precisely why millions of people live here and LOVE it

Old 03-05-2016, 06:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
You will be sweating pretty quickly. Maybe not immediately. But probably quicker than you will expect, if you haven't felt Fla in the summer, it's pretty ruthless.
I have been in FL in the Summer. Mind you I know what humidity does when you exert yourself. But many stories I hear sound like you would break out in sweat if you walk from your parked car to a Publix. This freaks my wife out. I figure maybe if I was strolling through my neighborhood after 30 minutes or so I might be sweating some, but not dripping wet.

This is why I keep asking. It isn't; is FL hot and humid, yes it is most of the year, it is; in July and Aug do you break into a dripping sweat within a few minutes. Are kids soaked after a few minutes outside playing?

I suspect I am being given exaggerations to make a point about heat and humidity, not reality.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:37 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
AMEN to that ^^^^^^^^^^
Seems like common sense to just go where you'd be happy, yet so many people stay where they're miserable and constantly complain about it. Of course its hot in Florida and that is precisely why millions of people live here and LOVE it
Exactly. And one more thing I want to point out, it is only very, very rarely that anywhere in Florida gets that thick hazy stagnant look. Being surrounded by water and breezes keeps the air clean here even when hot and humid. I remember changing planes in St. Louis several years back and the air was literally BLACK and it was 100 degrees! I couldn't take even a few days of that nonsense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida