Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:45 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have been in FL in the Summer. Mind you I know what humidity does when you exert yourself. But many stories I hear sound like you would break out in sweat if you walk from your parked car to a Publix. This freaks my wife out. I figure maybe if I was strolling through my neighborhood after 30 minutes or so I might be sweating some, but not dripping wet.

This is why I keep asking. It isn't; is FL hot and humid, yes it is most of the year, it is; in July and Aug do you break into a dripping sweat within a few minutes. Are kids soaked after a few minutes outside playing?

I suspect I am being given exaggerations to make a point about heat and humidity, not reality.
It is really like that. Maybe some exaggerate, but they aren't far off. Walk outside for even a few minutes and yes you do break into a dripping sweat. It won't be drastic to the point of sweating hardcore if you're just walking from Publix to your car, it's more of a "OMG it's hot! Must get to my car that has A/C" kind of moment. But stay outside and you will start sweating. It feels like a workout.

Only way you can truly know is by moving here or coming to FL in mid-July or something. Most people go from their A/C house, to their A/C car, to their A/C office. There are retired people who will say it isn't that bad, but most of the time they will be doing things that most of us residents can't do on a daily basis...going to the beach, playing golf, fishing, etc. And then they are inside most of the time. They also don't have to shovel snow, so that's paradise to them.

I wore shirt, tie, and pants when I worked in FL. Imagine walking to your car in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:12 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
There is really no "right" answer to this question. The truth is - from a purely physiological standpoint - there are many factors that influence the way heat & humidity are perceived and tolerated. What might feel comfortable to one person may be intolerable to another. Again, there are many factors that contribute to this, such as age, weight, hydration status, (diet, salt/electrolyte intake), fluid-regulatory hormone responses, cardiovascular function, kidney function, medications, activity level, the presence of certain medical conditions (diabetes, thyroid imbalances, heart conditions, etc). The young and the old tend to be more tolerant of heat than middle aged adults, (which is both good and bad, as they can become overheated and/or dehydrated and not be aware of it). And some people seem to sweat more than others. I used to be one of those people that simply did not sweat much at all. For over 40 years of my life, I never soaked through a shirt or had "pit stains" or anything. A pregnancy and subsequent weight gain totally changed that though

There is a physiologic response to hot weather known as heat acclimatization

Heat Acclimatization

Basically, an average healthy person will simply "get used to it" after awhile - especially if you spend some time outdoors, rather than staying inside with the air on 24/7.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:43 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Most people go from their A/C house, to their A/C car, to their A/C office. There are retired people who will say it isn't that bad, but most of the time they will be doing things that most of us residents can't do on a daily basis...going to the beach, playing golf, fishing, etc. And then they are inside most of the time.
Last time I checked, going to the beach, playing golf, and going fishing are all outdoor activities. If you're working and going from your AC house to your AC car to your AC office, aren't you spending less time outside than the retired folks you speak of?

Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Last time I checked, going to the beach, playing golf, and going fishing are all outdoor activities. If you're working and going from your AC house to your AC car to your AC office, aren't you spending less time outside than the retired folks you speak of?
Yes but the retired folks that move down here do so for the weather. Walking around like a zombie really isn't that fun if you are running your everyday errands. Most people would rather live somewhere with milder weather if that's going to be the lifestyle.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:25 AM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Summer weather is best for the beach and or boating. If you're in a suit you will probably sweat, if you're in flip flops/shorts/tank top you will probably be fine, if not a little bit warm. Here in Miami Beach, it's seldom more than 1-2 degrees above 90, even in the summer. The big issue is that it never cools off, so you're always warm.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
it feels so hot down here because the sun is actually only 4.8 miles above your head in Florida. everywhere else it is 92.96 million miles away from us.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:40 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes but the retired folks that move down here do so for the weather. Walking around like a zombie really isn't that fun if you are running your everyday errands. Most people would rather live somewhere with milder weather if that's going to be the lifestyle.
Perhaps you can explain why 20 million people live in FL instead of somewhere with milder weather?

Keep in mind 3 million are over 65, 2 million are under 18.

I wore a shirt and tie 5 days a week for 20 years. Drove an un-air conditioned car (1965 Ford Falcon) and never had any major difficulty. Went to the supermarket, bank and post office. Never felt like a zombie.

I guess some people just arent able to adjust to the weather. Living in NYC in the winter was no joy either, summer or winter. I could not survive ion Maine where they have 2 seasons. July and winter.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Summer weather is best for the beach and or boating. If you're in a suit you will probably sweat, if you're in flip flops/shorts/tank top you will probably be fine, if not a little bit warm. Here in Miami Beach, it's seldom more than 1-2 degrees above 90, even in the summer. The big issue is that it never cools off, so you're always warm.
I dont think its a problem. Your body doesnt need to make huge changes in weather tolerance. Ever.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:57 AM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Perhaps you can explain why 20 million people live in FL instead of somewhere with milder weather?

I wore a shirt and tie 5 days a week for 20 years. Drove an un-air conditioned car (1965 Ford Falcon) and never had any major difficulty. Went to the supermarket, bank and post office. Never felt like a zombie.

I guess some people just arent able to adjust to the weather. Living in NYC in the winter was no joy either, summer or winter. I could not survive ion Maine where they have 2 seasons. July and winter.

Good points! Hate to point out the obvious, but what do you think people did before air-conditioning? They still lived here and in other warm climates, and continued to work (in factories no less), play, cook dinner, etc. When I was a kid, my dad -who is in his late 60's - used to always tell us how he grew up with no air conditioning (also walked to school everyday, uphill there and back, worked 10 hour days in his uncle's store for a nickel, etc ) I remember when A/C was an "option" in a car. I owned a 1995 Jeep Wrangler that had no A/C. Granted, I lived up-nawth but summers can be pretty brutal, sometimes for weeks on end. Bottom line, you get used to it.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:40 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Took the point right from my keyboard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida