Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2006, 10:13 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Odessa within the next 2 years. I am desperate for some knowledge from people who really know Florida...please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
What kind of help do you need?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Odessa bound

The info I am mainly looking for is what it is like to live in Odessa? I read so much about unsafe areas in Florida. How is this one? Is it family oriented as opposed to retirees? What about the schools? That type of thing. Whatever information from real Floridians (even the pessimists) would be appreciated. I'd rather know the truth up front. Thanks

Old 12-10-2006, 04:45 AM

6 posts, read 32,563 times
Default Truth About Florida

I am a 3rd generation native of Tampa, hope I can shed some light on the "Sunshine State" for you.

My first suggestion is try to clear your mind of any pre-conceived notions you may have of Florida...either positive or negative. Like anywhere else, your experience here will depend on many factors, some of which you can control, and others which you cannot. Florida seems to be the subject of alot of "stereotyping", so try to avoid that. Also, try not to have any unrealistic expectations of life here. Many people first experience Florida as vacationers, decide they like it and then move here (at the rate of about 1,800 people per day). Living somewhere is rarely the same as visiting. Some "transplants" are disappointed and others are very pleased with their move.

Florida is a very large geographical area and encompasses very diverse areas, in terms of culture, weather, etc. My comments are my observations of the Tampa/Odessa area.

Odessa is a suburb of Tampa, which is a very large city based not on tourism or theme parks, but on industry. Odessa used to be the land of citrus groves and dairy farms but is growing rapidly. There are many fresh-water lakes in the area. It appears to be more family-oriented, rather than retiree-oriented. However, as real estate values near the coast have skyrocketed, many retirees are now moving more inland. Odessa has the reputation of being safe, with a low crime rate. I do not have children, but the schools in Hillsborough County, as in most areas of Florida, seem to have difficulty keeping up with the pace of growth. The climate will be very hot and humid in the summer, with strong but brief thunderstorms in the late afternoon..winters are very nice, with many days of low humidity and mild temperatures. You may be surprised to discover that you will have several mornings of temperatures near or below freezing in Odessa.....tropical plants may have difficulty thriving there.

If you enjoy city amenities, Tampa is known for older, historic neighborhoods with many ethnic restaurants..especially Cuban and Spanish food, and more recently Colombian and Mexican food as well. Like many large cities, there are some inner-city neighborhoods in Tampa that may not be safe at night. Tampa's crime rate has dropped significantly over the last several years, and many older neighborhoods are being gentrified and are improving quickly.

Traffic is heavy in the Tampa area, so try to work near home if possible. The beaches are about a 40 minute drive from Odessa..Tampa city central is about 25-30 minutes, depending on time of day.

Good luck!!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:59 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default NY--->Fl----> halfway back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
The info I am mainly looking for is what it is like to live in Odessa? I read so much about unsafe areas in Florida. How is this one? Is it family oriented as opposed to retirees? What about the schools? That type of thing. Whatever information from real Floridians (even the pessimists) would be appreciated. I'd rather know the truth up front. Thanks
Avoid Broward County then. See other posts regarding schools. West Palm also; you will get a shack for 300k. There are nice areas/beautiful beaches in the NW parts of FL. If you have children avoid South Florida at ALL costs. Also, from what I have read Ft Myers is bad also.

sunny

Old 12-10-2006, 04:27 PM

628 posts, read 1,833,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Relocating to Odessa within the next 2 years. I am desperate for some knowledge from people who really know Florida...please help.
Lived in the Westchase Waterchase area just south of Odessa for a time and still own a home there. Odessa's very nice and overall a safe area – don’t have kids in school but hear from our friends in the area the schools are good. A little less suburban more rural but that’s changing quick. Commute to down town is acceptable but that subjective.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
You have two years, no reason to be desperate Take this time and do your research and homework.

On a side note,
Funny how fast you can get a real estate agents attention these days.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Thanks to all who replied...agents and all. Some good and useful information here, and thankfully all positive about Odessa. Whew!!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:50 PM

75 posts, read 334,853 times
I have to agree. Odessa is not so bad these days compared to other parts of the Tampa Bay area. Good luck with that move.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM

15 posts, read 61,256 times
buy in fl now while prices are low low low!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: