Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Duh! There's a reason FL is growing faster than NC, but what in the world does that have to do with what I said? Majority of the people moving to FL aren't coming from NC. Maybe you need to do some research on NC culture. Florida growing faster than NC has nothing to do with my statement.
Well having lived in NC I can see reasons why more people move to FL than NC. You spoke of FL and NC and I spoke of ... FL and NC, I did not say how many from one went to the other, just that FL is growing faster which means it is more desired as a place to live than NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 06:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Well having lived in NC I can see reasons why more people move to FL than NC. You spoke of FL and NC and I spoke of ... FL and NC, I did not say how many from one went to the other, just that FL is growing faster which means it is more desired as a place to live than NC.
OK, then that has nothing to do with how many people move from NC to FL...which is the point I was making.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:32 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Well he moved from NC to FL. So the reverse happens too.
It's almost always the other way around.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
FL attracts a lot more undesirables. FL is far more transient. FL is like a rental car. Ive lived in NC and I totally get why so many People from FL move there and love it.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:04 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
if it were planned growth, high density, and good high paying corporate jobs relocating here and didn't destroy the beauty of natural florida than that might be desirable. most of the growth in florida doesnt seem to be raising the income of most of our residents, our major metros all are at the very bottom of the wage scale for most major metros . attracting retirees isnt going to bring high paying jobs. this was from an article in the sentinel last year

"Central Florida had the lowest median wage of any major metro in America.

Lower than Detroit, Miami, Milwaukee, you name it.

We were the only community in America where the majority of jobs — yes, the majority — paid less than $30,000 a year.

Nearly 40 percent paid less than $25,000."

Old 04-23-2016, 10:05 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
if it were planned growth, high density, and good high paying corporate jobs relocating here and didn't destroy the beauty of natural florida than that might be desirable. most of the growth in florida doesnt seem to be raising the income of most of our residents, our major metros all are at the very bottom of the wage scale for most major metros . attracting retirees isnt going to bring high paying jobs. this was from an article in the sentinel last year

"Central Florida had the lowest median wage of any major metro in America.

Lower than Detroit, Miami, Milwaukee, you name it.

We were the only community in America where the majority of jobs — yes, the majority — paid less than $30,000 a year.

Nearly 40 percent paid less than $25,000."
And the city's population grows every day. I guess they are all coming for a $14 an hour job.

Getting bigger: metro Orlando grows to 2.3 million - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
And the city's population grows every day. I guess they are all coming for a $14 an hour job.
Getting bigger: metro Orlando grows to 2.3 million - Orlando Sentinel
Sarcasm aside, for once your rainbows and unicorns version of the reality of growth in Central Florida is spot on.

Orlando's booming – but much growth comes from low-wage jobs and government spending - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-23-2016, 10:57 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
Wow a 300% increase is this 2008 again? Doubt you can show me those gains in the housing market right now. Maybe we are n another bubble have you ever thought of that? LOL people like you think you are so smart until you lose your a$$ then we never hear about it.
Our personal experience, so it's anecdotal, but we bought our last house in Miami in 1985, for $119, 500. Sold it ( to local folks who wanted to live in the neighborhood, and loved the layout of the house), in January 2013 for 465,000. That's closer to a 400% increase, if I did the math right.

But on topic, I'm a long time Floridian (moved to Miami in 1976 after completing a graduate degree). I'm not crazy at all about the sheer numbers of folks who have moved to the state, and the consequences of these numbers, such as increased traffic, gridlock, straining of resources, and loss of habitat and the effects all these have on Florida's natural resources, flora and fauna. I do recognize that this growth seems inevitable, I just wish there were a way to slow it down.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sarcasm aside, for once your rainbows and unicorns version of the reality of growth in Central Florida is spot on.

Orlando's booming – but much growth comes from low-wage jobs and government spending - Orlando Sentinel
Think of it this way: You are in your early 20's. You have your 4 year degree but there arent any jobs where you can use it. Or your in your early 20's with a high school diploma (hopefully) and the only jobs available for you in your town is fast food, laborer or maybe you can land a job as a parking attendant.

Then you realize that you could work in a place where your lack of skills or your degree will get you a job. Instead of shoveling dirt, moving heavy building supplies around, bustin' it in a fast food joint or at least you can get a job where it is possible to start at the bottom and work your way up. That place? The tourist mecca of the world. Orlando.

You could be a part of the rest of the unskilled living in a house shared with others and get by in the world while pushing the start button on a ride, handing out soda and ice cream to the crowds, sit in an air conditioned booth selling tickets, work in a large variety of retail stores, tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants. At least you're working, not breaking your back and working towards a higher goal in one of those occupations.

I dont see any tent cities popping up in the Orlando area, I dont see people building shacks on open lots. I do see heavy vehicular traffic, crowded bars and restaurants and a thriving economy overall.

If you are skilled or have experience in a in demand field you can do very well and be one of the people who earn a decent job.

Maybe you can explain why the Orlando metro population has continued to climb year after year for the past 20-30 years?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Think of it this way: You are in your early 20's. You have your 4 year degree but there arent any jobs where you can use it. Or your in your early 20's with a high school diploma (hopefully) and the only jobs available for you in your town is fast food, laborer or maybe you can land a job as a parking attendant.

Then you realize that you could work in a place where your lack of skills or your degree will get you a job. Instead of shoveling dirt, moving heavy building supplies around, bustin' it in a fast food joint or at least you can get a job where it is possible to start at the bottom and work your way up. That place? The tourist mecca of the world. Orlando.

You could be a part of the rest of the unskilled living in a house shared with others and get by in the world while pushing the start button on a ride, handing out soda and ice cream to the crowds, sit in an air conditioned booth selling tickets, work in a large variety of retail stores, tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants. At least you're working, not breaking your back and working towards a higher goal in one of those occupations.

I dont see any tent cities popping up in the Orlando area, I dont see people building shacks on open lots. I do see heavy vehicular traffic, crowded bars and restaurants and a thriving economy overall.

If you are skilled or have experience in a in demand field you can do very well and be one of the people who earn a decent job.

Maybe you can explain why the Orlando metro population has continued to climb year after year for the past 20-30 years?
You pretty much explained it already. Many of those lacking in the skills and education to make it in other cities move to Orlando under the assumption that it's a cheap place to live with plenty of low skill jobs available. While partially true it's proving to be not that affordable for a place where the majority of jobs pay less than 30K a year and many aren't full time and/or provide health insurance. Perhaps one day you'll (and others) catch on to the fact that it's unsustainable population growth due to rising costs and skills/wages unable to compensate. Orlando's median one bedroom rent value sits just below $1000 a month in a city where the average median salary (not household income) is 25K a year. Do the math on that one and see where that stands. Additionally your continued weird assertion of availability of some higher paying jobs (roughly a quarter of the job market) as if it compensates for the entire population, will not hold heads above water for the remaining 75% as time goes by. That ladies and gentleman is called economic sustainability, which does not exist here currently...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida