Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 11:58 AM

161 posts, read 214,746 times

Advertisements

Can anyone name cities or parts of cities that have some character but are still close to jobs/amenities/restaurants. I'm trying to avoid living near Orlando though as I want more coastal. When I think of the places I like near Orlando I think winter park or mount Dora. Any ideas outside of central Florida? I don't particularly think I'm interested in the panhandlers as it feels too southern (culturally) to me. I like St Pete but seems like the schools are not too great.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM

17,294 posts, read 15,491,542 times
Sarasota, maybe?

Old 05-12-2016, 01:17 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf123 View Post
Can anyone name cities or parts of cities that have some character but are still close to jobs/amenities/restaurants. I'm trying to avoid living near Orlando though as I want more coastal. When I think of the places I like near Orlando I think winter park or mount Dora. Any ideas outside of central Florida? I don't particularly think I'm interested in the panhandlers as it feels too southern (culturally) to me. I like St Pete but seems like the schools are not too great. Thanks
If you want character and good schools near the coast as well as job possibility/amenities I would recommend towns like Delray Beach, Safety Harbor or Melbourne Beach.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,695,381 times
As character goes, there isn't a place with much more anywhere than St Augustine, and that's right on the water. Also, there are varied reports on this, but Jacksonville area/St Augustine doesn't feel any more southern than places lower in the state. If anything, St. Augustine feels less so, and is also somewhat affordable. I don't know about the schools there though. Also check Riverside/Avondale in Jax.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:56 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,915,282 times
Gulfport is 12 minutes from downtown St. Pete and 25 minutes from Tampa International Airport.

It's a funky town, lots of fun, brick streets and a restaurant destination for Greater Tampa Bay.

Very artsy, walkable, livable.

Here are some links:

Gulfport Merchants Association

Gulfport is Quirky, Quaint and Open to All (PHOTOS)

Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 10,635 times
Delray use to be nice and quaint...not anymore!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:38 PM

501 posts, read 1,884,556 times
I moved to downtown Daytona Beach area for the specific reasons you stated in your OP.
It's also a walkable and bikable city. I need a car for grocery/hardware/healthcare trips outside downtown area. I eat healthy & well that is MOSTLY walkable from my front door! Today I had conch fritters overlooking the Halifax River!

http://stpauldaytonabeach.org/
http://myvolusiaschools.org/school/O...s/default.aspx
http://seabreezehigh.org/

Other options would be:
  • New Smyrna Beach (Flagler Ave neighborhoods)
  • St. Petersburg (downtown/bayfront Arts District)
  • St. Augustine (downtown/Flagler College neighborhood)
  • Fernandina Beach
  • Anna Maria Island (Bradenton Beach)
  • Lake Worth (College Park Neighborhood)
  • Miami Beach (Normandy Isle/71st ST)
  • Key West
Florida Trust For Historic Preservation | About The Trust | Overview
ARTDISTRICTS Magazine » ART GUIDE » ART GUIDE

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 05-22-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-22-2016, 09:01 PM

428 posts, read 417,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf123 View Post
Can anyone name cities or parts of cities that have some character but are still close to jobs/amenities/restaurants. I'm trying to avoid living near Orlando though as I want more coastal. When I think of the places I like near Orlando I think winter park or mount Dora. Any ideas outside of central Florida? I don't particularly think I'm interested in the panhandlers as it feels too southern (culturally) to me. I like St Pete but seems like the schools are not too great.

Thanks
Dunedin and Safety Harbor.

We are heading to Tampa and going to foot the bill for private. Not cheap with two kids, paying for uniforms and special shoes and tech fees, etc, etc, etc. But in our searching, what neighborhoods have good reviews for Elementary do not for Middle, or High school for Elementary, or Middle for High... and that type of thing. We will be pinching pennies a little more for a couple of years until I go back to work, and will be living until then as a one income family, but I can think of many things that are worth taking a backseat to my kids' education. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:16 PM

24,411 posts, read 27,025,921 times
Around Orlando:

Winter Park
Thornton Park
Windermere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida