Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 33,331 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Poinciana, Florida. I am also leaving Poinciana because of the high crime in our area.

Last Year the Osceola County Sheriff's office caught people connected with major drug operations in small little Poinciana. In 6 months time, I had to deal with 1. A scam artist 2. A Marijuana Grow house across from me 3. Neighbors who buy homes from Columbia but never upkeep them---but sure do send up lots of family members for business (this house was going up for trade to another Columbian) after the house across the court was confiscated by police. And untold crimes in the neighborhood of pedifiles, kids selling drugs on streets and of course untold murders (usually involving gangs and drugs. Oh---and on tip from the FBI last year a gang member from Chicago was caught in Poincina---Celeleste Melendez.

For a while, we all turned off our TV sets and walked outside to watch Osceola County Helicopters go over the neighborhood. ICE (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) are seen regularyly throughout our area and other Central Florida neighborhoods. Mostly, the helicopters going over morning, noon and night become more than interesting----especially when you hear gun fire in the night, and see policeman with a dog, by your house at 1 AM in the morning---running through and around other houses, with patrol cars wandering the area.

Lots of houses for sale in Poinciana. For sale signs everyplace---but no buyers. I can't sell my house in what was once a very quiet, wonderful place to live. I can't leave, and I can't sell my house for a good price.

Check police reports in Kissimmee with Osceola County Sheriff's office. Look under News Releases---or better yet. Visit Poinciana, and talk to some of the neighbors that have lived there over 10 years.

I don't recommend Poinciana to single women----tooooooo scary!
And if your Catholic----we have a little church here that never seems to grow, but is always asking for money. It is known as "The little Hispanic Church" of Poinciana.

I have to travel far distances to go to any good church that is highly educuated with a variety of people, who you know are legally here in America. I have never seen such a poorly placed Catholic Church, with backward attitudes in growth for the 21st Century. Reversed Prejudice is quite real here----I feel it everyday in Poinciana. Doesn't feel like an American Home Town here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 33,191 times
ok. that's it. every one everywhere is making Poinciana sounds like its norhint but helicopters and shoot outs. Yeah, people are leaving, but its because this once quiet community is full of people now, not because of any police activity. I've never been asked to donate to any church here. Our community is not scary, its not! I feel safe here when there is no one else home. I've lived here for over 10 years and almost completly disagree with Light4U. But what am I but a single white female in Poinciana?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 52,848 times
Hi I just moved to Poinciana from New Jersey. We did this site unseen which was the biggest mistake I have ever made. How I pulled up this site was I was actually looking for a Catholic Church in Poinciana. I usually go to St. Ann's in Haines City which is nice but you are right kind of far. So far things around here are pretty quite, but I can see what you mean about the crime. I'm afraid to get gas near Walmart. Good luck in your move. We are just renting thank god until March 1st.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 32,834 times
Talking You People Are Nuts

You think crime is bad in poinciana? Your Insane. There is close to if not over 60K People in poinciana with another 500-1000 moving in each month and only 2 murders this year. Try finding another city of this size with that low a murder rate. In comparison Camdon, NJ is the same size as poinciana and has now had 78 murders this year. There are only 2 sex offenders in poinciana WAY below the state average. The Theft rate is also WAY below state averages.

Yes there are a few drug dealers, but thats a fact of life. No matter were you go your going to find drug dealers. Dont like it call the cops if you see something fishy or change the laws and legalize the soft drugs like marijuana then you wouldnt have to worry about drug dealers anymore, Walmart would sell it. I moved down from the North East were there was REAL crime rates. Poinciana is as safe a small town as your going to find. Is there crime. YES. Is it as bad as people on here make it sound. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Are there a lot of houses for sale YES. But that has NOTHING to do with people leaving town. It has to do with investors who built houses during the boom trying to sell before the prices drop too much. Poinciana continues to grow in a rapid pace. There are just not enough people moving in to keep up with the consturction of new houses and the investors trying to sell the houses they have.

Also if your biggest compaint is there isnt a ENGLISH speaking catholic church then your in the wrong state. The South has 2 religous groups. English speaking Baptists and SPANISH speaking Catholics. There are at least 2 Catholic Churches in Poinciana. Yes there Spanish. SOOOO Either start going to baptist church, learn spanish or grow up and stop believing in imaginary beings like the Easter Bunny, Santa, Jesus or God.

Last edited by Poinciana4Life; 11-11-2007 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinciana4Life View Post
Poinciana is as safe a small town as your going to find.
That is one of the funniest quotes ever.

Now I know where this guy moved to.....

Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
I moved down from the North East were there was REAL crime rates.

Compare all the states crime rates and i bet there are higher rates in tha southeast...i think some people have too much northern pride sometimes to admit the facts

Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
You think crime is bad in poinciana? Your Insane. There is close to if not over 60K People in poinciana with another 500-1000 moving in each month and only 2 murders this year. Try finding another city of this size with that low a murder rate. In comparison Camdon, NJ is the same size as poinciana and has now had 78 murders this year. There are only 2 sex offenders in poinciana WAY below the state average. The Theft rate is also WAY below state averages.

Yes there are a few drug dealers, but thats a fact of life. No matter were you go your going to find drug dealers. Dont like it call the cops if you see something fishy or change the laws and legalize the soft drugs like marijuana then you wouldnt have to worry about drug dealers anymore, Walmart would sell it. I moved down from the North East were there was REAL crime rates. Poinciana is as safe a small town as your going to find. Is there crime. YES. Is it as bad as people on here make it sound. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Are there a lot of houses for sale YES. But that has NOTHING to do with people leaving town. It has to do with investors who built houses during the boom trying to sell before the prices drop too much. Poinciana continues to grow in a rapid pace. There are just not enough people moving in to keep up with the consturction of new houses and the investors trying to sell the houses they have.

Also if your biggest compaint is there isnt a ENGLISH speaking catholic church then your in the wrong state. The South has 2 religous groups. English speaking Baptists and SPANISH speaking Catholics. There are at least 2 Catholic Churches in Poinciana. Yes there Spanish. SOOOO Either start going to baptist church, learn spanish or grow up and stop believing in imaginary beings like the Easter Bunny, Santa, Jesus or God.
I am not going to comment much on this because I don't know the area but when you say ONLY 2 murders for a town of 60,000 I took notice.
Hernando County has about 180,000 residents and we had a I think a total of 3 murders over the last 3 years.
To me 2 murders a year for 60,000 people is alot.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:

THIS LAST PARAGRAPH IS VERY FUNNY!!!!No beating around the bush. Are you sure you are not from NYC?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:08 PM

762 posts, read 1,595,778 times
Question Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I am not going to comment much on this because I don't know the area but when you say ONLY 2 murders for a town of 60,000 I took notice.
Hernando County has about 180,000 residents and we had a I think a total of 3 murders over the last 3 years.
To me 2 murders a year for 60,000 people is alot.
I've never been in florida but ummm 2 murders per 60,000 people is as good as you can get for the amount of people. EVERY city is going to have at least a little bit of crime. Have you ever lived in a real city??

Old 12-10-2007, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 39,245 times
Our West Texas cities have much lower crime rates and much higher population. Don't include El Paso in that, it's in a class by itself. I'm talking about our regular small cities of 100K+. You need a better sheriff. Our sheriffs are what make our towns safe here. You can tell which towns have a strong sherrif (such as Midland) and which have a bad one (Odessa). But whenever you get a lot of people from other cultures pouring in, you are going to see your quality of life go right in the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida