Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 11:31 AM

7 posts, read 9,942 times

Advertisements

I have read some post on another site about staying away from Hernando County..but they didn't give any reasons why..does anyone have any info on the county and the city of Spring Hill ..found a lot of nice houses with low crime..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 12:37 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
Spring Hill is like many/most places in Florida, IMO. There are really nice newer neighborhoods, older neighborhoods, really nice people, and some bad eggs.

There's no shortage of stores, restaurants, etc. Approaching four years in Spring Hill, my wife and I love it here - our home, neighborhood, etc. It's a nice place to live, as far as I am concerned.

They'll bust the occasional grow house, etc. I think I don't have to worry about that kind of thing too much as I live in the middle of a golf course with mostly older folks.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
There is a somewhat active sinkhole issue with that area. Spring Hill home’s dangerous sinkhole secret: How could this happen? | WFLA.com

Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeaci View Post
I have read some post on another site about staying away from Hernando County..but they didn't give any reasons why..does anyone have any info on the county and the city of Spring Hill ..found a lot of nice houses with low crime..
I've lived in Spring hill for 10 years. It's a nice place with everything you could need in the immediate area. Most of the national retail and restaurant chains are here along with a lot of small businesses.

There is a ton of housing in all price ranges. Crime exists. Mostly minor day to day stuff but the Sheriff has been very busy busting drug sites. They have gotten a couple of meth labs and several dealers. Overall, the Sheriff's office does a great job here. The place has grown significantly over the years. There are more than 98,000 people in Spring Hill. Jobs are not in abundance. The major job field is in health care, all phases.
Retail, all phases, is also a major employment avenue.

Tampa is about an hour away via the Suncoast expressway (toll road). Clearwater Beach is about 90 mins using US 19 and 19A.

Spring Hill is a place that was developed in the late 1960's and early 70's. There was nothing but sand dunes and scrub land here before. It used to be very rural and the areas to the north and east still are but south into Pasco county and further down is mostly highly developed.

If you search SPRING HILL in the Tampa forum you will find several threads. Some of the commentary is total trash but you can pick out some good info.

Here are some helpful sites:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SpringHillFlorida/

Join the group and see what the locals are chatting about.

Hernando County Sheriff's Office Internet Portal

The Sheriff's office home page

https://hernandosun.com/spring_hill_history

A little history.

You can check out crime reports, arrests, jail inmates and more.

Welcome to Hernando County, Florida

The county website has everything you want to know.

If you have other questions, fire away. There are a few CD posters here in Spring Hill

Old 09-29-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
There is a somewhat active sinkhole issue with that area. Spring Hill home’s dangerous sinkhole secret: How could this happen? | WFLA.com

There aren't so many new sinkhole claims since the insurance companies made comprehensive sink hole coverage optional and expensive. It used to be 'call a sinkhole repair company and they will find you a sinkhole.' Those days are over.

Research is always necessary.

Disclosure regarding sink hole repair and known activity is the law. There of course are unscrupulous sellers and real estate people out there but the public records will have information regarding sink hole reports and repairs. It can be difficult to get homeowner insurance if your property is near a house with reported repairs or activity. A lot of people feel that sink hole repaired homes are better investments. I'm not one of them.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:03 PM

Spring Hillian Thank You for all the info just what I was looking for..Who is your electric company in Spring Hill and how are the rates ?? Looking at a 1500 or less sq ft pool home..it's just my husband & I ..we plan on visiting for a month my son lives in Plant City so we plan on exploring Spring Hill,Brooksville & Inverness to get an idea of the different areas..

Old 09-29-2016, 03:05 PM

HWTech Guy..Thank You

Old 09-30-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeaci View Post
Spring Hillian Thank You for all the info just what I was looking for..Who is your electric company in Spring Hill and how are the rates ?? Looking at a 1500 or less sq ft pool home..it's just my husband & I ..we plan on visiting for a month my son lives in Plant City so we plan on exploring Spring Hill,Brooksville & Inverness to get an idea of the different areas..
My local provider is Withlacoochee River Electric Co. I dont know the per KWH rate but you may find it at their website WREC.NET or give them a call.

I can tell you it is a cooperative so each member is an owner in the company. Its a non-profit.

I have 1600 sq ft, AC and heat system, electric water heater, washer and dryer. I keep 2 pond filter pumps going 24/7 and an aquarium with 2 power filters and An air pump. I use the "average billing program" where they figure the average on last years usage and break that down into 12 months (it prevents wide billing swings) and its $150 a month.

Inverness and the area is very nice. A lot more rural than Spring Hill. It may depend on your needs for distance to hospitals (Spring Hill has 3) and shopping. There is a whole lot to explore up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida