Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

Doggie, It isnt....living there 2 years I can tell you its a very nice place...Union County has the best schools if you are looking for a good education. House Break Ins are a big problem not just in charlotte but in surrounding areas as well...I met alot of floridians beleive it or not even from the development im in now here in Boca and as well as alot of people from Weston...and well mixed reactions some of them thought the grass is greener on the other side and learned that it isnt greener just different and they their expectations were alot different after living there for a while and are wanting to come back to Florida, and those that are very happy...We were very happy with the education but it wasnt a fit for our family after living there for 2 years...We are very happy here in S Florida life is good and no complaints...What people need to understand is u can run and run but the fact that Charlotte wont be that cheap of a place to live with them raising taxes and property taxes and utilites, it will be like any other places..The roads in charlotte are terrible but the drivers here are awful...so it really depends on why one is looking to leave their current state, as there is NO PERFECT place....We fit in alot better here than we did in Anywhere else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 AM

24 posts, read 63,682 times
Familiar with both: In my opinion, this is a very fair and balanced breakdown... (as I see it of course)...

Entertainment - S FL - probably more entertanining than just about anywhere.
Schools - Charlotte, as BerryJuice mentioned. I would agree, although they have bad ones too.
Crime - S FL probably has more crime, although Charlotte is a BIG city with big city problems.
Housing - Charlotte - more for you money.
People - Charlotte. That's easy. Although there are a lot of newbies changing Charlotte everyday.
Drivers - Charlotte. NO QUESTION. Far better than S FL. Driving in S FL is NOT FUN.
Diversity - S FL. Although the true definition of diversity might suggest otherise.
Weather - Charlotte for someone who likes 4 seasons. If you dont, S FL.
Taxes - Tough to say. FL has no state income tax, NC is 7%. But S FL peoperty taxes are no joke!
Jobs/Economy - In normal times, Charlotte easily wins this one. As easy of a choice as who was the better drivers. But in these current conditions, due to Charlotte's direct tie to NYC and banking, I'd say S FL probably has the lower unemployment rate. A lot of competition for these high dollar jobs invaded Charlotte over the years. Being 2nd in banking only to NYC, a lot (and I mean a lot) of people from NY and NJ moved to Charlotte for more sunshine and cheaper cost of living. Can't blame 'em.

Last edited by Gators2009; 09-27-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 10:55 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Remember crime happens now a days pretty much everywhere, in the good neighborhoods and bad ones.
Certainly wasn't like that in the 80s .

Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 AM

^^^ Sure it was. It just didnt (most likely) dominate the headlines like it does now. But in some places , it's uncommon too see sporadic crime in nice neighborhoods, whether it be break-ins, stolen vehicles, etc... but I wouldnt consider many parts of FL to be one of those places.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators2009 View Post
Familiar with both: In my opinion, this is a very fair and balanced breakdown... (as I see it of course)...

Entertainment - S FL - probably more entertanining than just about anywhere.
Schools - Charlotte, as BerryJuice mentioned. I would agree, although they have bad ones too.
Crime - S FL probably has more crime, although Charlotte is a BIG city with big city problems.
Housing - Charlotte - more for you money.
People - Charlotte. That's easy. Although there are a lot of newbies changing Charlotte everyday.
Drivers - Charlotte. NO QUESTION. Far better than S FL. Driving in S FL is NOT FUN.
Diversity - S FL. Although the true definition of diversity might suggest otherise.
Weather - Charlotte for someone who likes 4 seasons. If you dont, S FL.
Taxes - Tough to say. FL has no state income tax, NC is 7%. But S FL peoperty taxes are no joke!
Jobs/Economy - In normal times, Charlotte easily wins this one. As easy of a choice as who was the better drivers. But in these current conditions, due to Charlotte's direct tie to NYC and banking, I'd say S FL probably has the lower unemployment rate. A lot of competition for these high dollar jobs invaded Charlotte over the years. Being 2nd in banking only to NYC, a lot (and I mean a lot) of people from NY and NJ moved to Charlotte for more sunshine and cheaper cost of living. Can't blame 'em.
Agree with most...Although people think that people are nice in charlotte....
Taxes well the property taxes are going up in Charlotte and for a home in the 300's u will still be paying about 5000k and that is without an increase...

Weather I agree, although we dont mind the Florida weather so it works..
Charlotte Jobs: well their unemployment is higher than Florida, and depending on what industry your in my dh's co workers are still out of work from May...all in Banking, IT and financial....

and as far as cheaper: u do pay for what u get...that goes for anywhere....
Groceries in Charlotte are higher than here, their sales tax is going up etc..so again eventually PEOPLE will find that the cost of living will equal itself out, except, yes you are getting more of a house in Charlotte than u would here but its all irrelevant if your the type of person that the Home doesnt matter....You can still get a very nice house here in South Florida as the prices have decreased. however here where we live they are creeping up a bit, and homes are selling in less than 21 days...

Overall, One thing that most people who leave their current state and go to another one that is now populated with all the people that left cause they were so unhappy, or cost of living etc, they can all feel comfortable about discussing HOW horrible things were where they lived.. and at least have that one thing in common...

Old 09-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Agree with most...Although people think that people are nice in charlotte....
Taxes well the property taxes are going up in Charlotte and for a home in the 300's u will still be paying about 5000k and that is without an increase...

Weather I agree, although we dont mind the Florida weather so it works..
Charlotte Jobs: well their unemployment is higher than Florida, and depending on what industry your in my dh's co workers are still out of work from May...all in Banking, IT and financial....

and as far as cheaper: u do pay for what u get...that goes for anywhere....
Groceries in Charlotte are higher than here, their sales tax is going up etc..so again eventually PEOPLE will find that the cost of living will equal itself out, except, yes you are getting more of a house in Charlotte than u would here but its all irrelevant if your the type of person that the Home doesnt matter....You can still get a very nice house here in South Florida as the prices have decreased. however here where we live they are creeping up a bit, and homes are selling in less than 21 days...

Overall, One thing that most people who leave their current state and go to another one that is now populated with all the people that left cause they were so unhappy, or cost of living etc, they can all feel comfortable about discussing HOW horrible things were where they lived.. and at least have that one thing in common...

I agree - Charlotte and S FL definitely have one thing in common. Both places (for whatever reason) have attracted a lot of the same people. And once a place like S FL or Charlotte attracts so many of those folks, the places becomes what they left. It's sad, in fact we were talking to our YMCA fitness instructor about that this afternoon. She completely agreed. Places like S FL and Charlotte have changed a lot.

I know some folks in Charlotte arent the friendliest, but you have to remember it's like S FL, they both attract the same people. But I still find Charlotte to have kept a little more of the "friendliness" feature.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
^^^ Sure it was. It just didnt (most likely) dominate the headlines like it does now. But in some places , it's uncommon too see sporadic crime in nice neighborhoods, whether it be break-ins, stolen vehicles, etc... but I wouldnt consider many parts of FL to be one of those places.
North Carolina isn't one of those places either . That's mostly reserved for rural areas and high dollar suburbs in some of your favorites, like many parts of New Jeresy, NY, Mass, etc...as well as some of the Midwest.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
North Carolina isn't one of those places either . That's mostly reserved for rural areas and high dollar suburbs in some of your favorites, like many parts of New Jeresy, NY, Mass, etc...as well as some of the Midwest.
It's pretty uncommon where I lived. You never lived in NC so it's not really your call to suggest what NC is/isnt, (so how would you know)? You should do yourself a favor and visit a place like Asheville (or go visit the forum - ask around - see if there really is no difference between the two) and find out for yourself without resorting to guesses. It's funny everytime you suggest something, like Charlotte is more dangerous than S FL, or the drivers are worse in Atlanta than they are in S FL, or the people are friendlier in S FL than they are in NC, I have set up a poll everytime, usually on the 'city vs city' forum. And what I has said was the clear winner, every single time. Not even close. How do you explain that, and how can you back up what you say if you've never even lived in NC?

Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It's pretty uncommon where I lived. You never lived in NC so it's not really your call to suggest what NC is/isnt, (so how would you know)? You should do yourself a favor and visit a place like Asheville (or go visit the forum - ask around - see if there really is no difference between the two) and find out for yourself without resorting to guesses.
It's pretty uncommon where I live too, yet I see you making comments all the time for the ENTIRE Florida region and it's residents of certain origin . Remember, I have toured the entire state several times for both business and leisure, enough to have my car burglarized in that state . Something else happened to me there too (crime related), but that story is borderline embarrassing.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It's pretty uncommon where I live too, yet I see you making comments all the time for the ENTIRE Florida region and it's residents of certain origin . Remember, I have toured the entire state several times for both business and leisure, enough to have my car burglarized in that state . Something else happened to me there too (crime related), but that story is borderline embarrassing.

You got your car burglarized at a motel off the interstate in Huntersville NC. I'm sorry that happened to you. I live in a neighborhood where homes are $300k and $400k and a guy got murdered a few subdivisions down. 2nd one in a year and a half. Another shooting occured in the same neighborhood in 2008, but he lived. We worry about what kind of ghetto element is creeping into our subdivision (it's already here), only burglaries and an assault that I know of so far. Sorry you got your car broken into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida