Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
They believe you will eventually miss Snow? LOLOLOLOL

I'm in Wisconsin and once I get out of here----the only snow I want to see is on a post card LOLOLOL

It's true that if everyone liked the same place it would be wayyyyy to crowded so "to each his own" I say
Well in FL you may not see snow but you will still see ice. In your drink and the refrigerator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 03:16 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Well in FL you may not see snow but you will still see ice. In your drink and the refrigerator.
Exactly!!

and I won't have to see road salt anymore either....... Just salt on the rim of my margarita glass

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Exactly!!

and I won't have to see road salt anymore either....... Just salt on the rim of my margarita glass
That is if you can see anything with the sweat dripping in your eyes while you are swatting the mosquitos.
Sorry, just a little reality check.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
That is if you can see anything with the sweat dripping in your eyes while you are swatting the mosquitos.
I hear you but since I live in Wisconsin and it gets Very Humid and Hot in the summer--I can deal with it

Old 04-06-2017, 02:11 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I do wonder how much the current trend of warming temperatures will affect what places people consider ideal, weather-wise. Consider this (average temps historically vs. this year)
October November April
Cleveland: (62/68) (51/60) (59/61)

Bradenton: (84/89) (78/83) (81/83)

Obviously, it won't necessarily always be that warm in Florida, or Ohio, necessarily. But, it isn't just a one year trend that weather in these fringe months (which are somewhat close calls anyway) are moving more towards northern cities than in years past, for those who crave the ideal of a Mediterranean (55-81 range) climate as ideal (as evidenced by where people set their A/C, and the way the weather in places like Southern California and the French Riviera is thought of). Of course, for those who move down, and either don't realize how hot it is, or have noticed an increase in heat overtime, the idea of being a "Half-Back" is quite popular, also:
More Retirees Find the Mid-South an Alternative to Florida - The New York Times

Old 04-07-2017, 02:18 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Well, here's the reality. I've been in Florida for almost 41 yrs, and have spent very little of that time dripping sweat into my eyes, or swatting mosquitos. Can't honestly say that never happens, but it's nothing unique to Florida.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:50 PM

686 posts, read 622,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
This is where most people want to be.
That's one of the main reasons I'm getting out.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I moved from the Midwest to south Florida in 1973. I was beginning my career after graduating from college. I worked at a non profit company for 40+ years. This was in Miami Dade County. Through the years, I became more sensitive to the relentless heat and humidity. High COL was a factor - especially insurance costs. In recent years, my homeowners insurance was over $4,000.00. My automobile insurance (the last few years in Florida) was $2,000.00 annually - no tickets or accidents or claims of any kind. As a single person, I felt like I was trapped down here. I hated it. I felt like I was living in a foreign country. Crime, omg, so bad. My house was broken into 3 times with 5 other times attempted break-ins, but thwarted when the alarm came on. I'm an outdoors person, loved hiking, etc. and found it difficult to find others who shared my interests. I had 1/2 acre lot and planted it heavily. The upkeep on it was overwhelming. So, I moved back to Indiana this past fall. COL is so much lower here! Even food is cheaper - a lot cheaper! I pay $625.00/year homeowners' insurance and $465.00 per year for automobile insurance - State Farm. People are so friendly here and I have found others who share my interests and have developed some friendships. There is so much to do here - so many parks, history events, festivals, etc. Driving is a pleasure once again. I had developed anxiety over driving anywhere in south Florida due to the rude, aggressive drivers there. Ahhhh, now I can relax. People here are polite, friendly, like to chat and are considerate. It is a totally different world outside of south Florida. Florida is not for everyone. I hope that those folks who are planning to move to Florida can find their happiness and love it.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I moved from the Midwest to south Florida in 1973. I was beginning my career after graduating from college. I worked at a non profit company for 40+ years. This was in Miami Dade County. Through the years, I became more sensitive to the relentless heat and humidity. High COL was a factor - especially insurance costs. In recent years, my homeowners insurance was over $4,000.00. My automobile insurance (the last few years in Florida) was $2,000.00 annually - no tickets or accidents or claims of any kind. As a single person, I felt like I was trapped down here. I hated it. I felt like I was living in a foreign country. Crime, omg, so bad. My house was broken into 3 times with 5 other times attempted break-ins, but thwarted when the alarm came on. I'm an outdoors person, loved hiking, etc. and found it difficult to find others who shared my interests. I had 1/2 acre lot and planted it heavily. The upkeep on it was overwhelming. So, I moved back to Indiana this past fall. COL is so much lower here! Even food is cheaper - a lot cheaper! I pay $625.00/year homeowners' insurance and $465.00 per year for automobile insurance - State Farm. People are so friendly here and I have found others who share my interests and have developed some friendships. There is so much to do here - so many parks, history events, festivals, etc. Driving is a pleasure once again. I had developed anxiety over driving anywhere in south Florida due to the rude, aggressive drivers there. Ahhhh, now I can relax. People here are polite, friendly, like to chat and are considerate. It is a totally different world outside of south Florida. Florida is not for everyone. I hope that those folks who are planning to move to Florida can find their happiness and love it.
Great detailed, thought out post.
Best of luck to you!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
But now, you have to suffer with long winters, snow and cold. Maybe you like winters. Most people in Minnesota don't like winters. Most people simply resign to the fact that they have to put up with winters. A tiny fraction of the population actually like winters in Minnesota.

I agree with you that the drivers in the Miami area are reckless. The drivers are drastically better in SW Florida. To me, Florida isn't the place for me while I'm still working, because the wages are way too low. The snowbelt is an area to make more money, so save more money for retirement. Then you're retirement income stream can be about the same as it was during the working years.

It sounds like you lived in a bad area to be victimized so many times. Maybe the area you lived in was all you could afford due to your career choice and working for the non-profit. I agree with you that auto and home insurance is much higher than the Midwest. But the Florida state income tax is zero, which is huge if you have a large retirement income stream and a lot of money in pretax retirement accounts that needs to be pulled out and taxed. I didn't find food prices to be much different than Minnesota. In Hawaii, $100 will buy you only 2/3rd of one paper bag of groceries, plus you have to pay for the bag!

It sounds like life is much better for you in Indiana, so moving to Indiana was the right move for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida