Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:50 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,082 times

Advertisements

May be a crazy question...but if you don't like FL, why are you here??? I just don't understand all of the people who complain about Florida, who seem to loathe the state, yet don't leave!

I lived in PA, didn't like the weather, the job opportunities weren't there, so I moved. I may have complained about PA for a few months before leaving...but finally we just picked up and left. The real estate market wasn't that great but we wanted better things for our lives, so we put our home up for sale...and LEFT. Yes, it was hard financially for a while, but it was well worth it.

I came to FL 8 years ago and LOVE it, my family LOVES it, and I was followed down by my parents, brother & fam, sister & fam, aunt & uncle, and grandmother, and my in-laws and my wife's cousin just bought a second home and will snow bird here. Our kids are in great schools, our taxes are still reasonable, and my HOI hasn't gone up in a couple of years. I make a good living, as do my brother/sister/parents, the weather is beautiful, the kids love the amusement parks, the beaches are great... on and on.

I don't personally know ANY of my neighbors that dosn't like living in Wesley Chapel (where I am). Yes there are some complaints about the increased traffic etc. But nothing like the people on this board who seem to dedicate a large portion of their time and energy to discouraging people from moving to FL.

I'm getting redundant now, so I'll just stop here...but if someone understands, I'd love to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM

60 posts, read 285,050 times
I agree with you, Scamutz. There is too much negativity about Florida on this forum. I want to move down next year but now I am scared. I have a place to live but I'll need a job. But reading how everyone is so down about living there I might as well stay in NY. Everyone should be incouraging people to come to beautiful Florida and be thankful we are not illegal ones.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:27 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,750 times
Default Here's why

Some of us have spouses that do not want to move. Why does my spouse not want to move? It is complicated. My H doesn't see alot of what I see; he's in denial. He has 20+ years at his company and is close to retirement, so he has to stick it out. Life isn't always simple. If I were single and had no children, I wouldn't be here. Believe me, it's been a sticking point in my marriage, but it makes me feel better that the issues I see are seen by other folks, too. In a weird way, that makes it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
May be a crazy question...but if you don't like FL, why are you here??? I just don't understand all of the people who complain about Florida, who seem to loathe the state, yet don't leave!

I lived in PA, didn't like the weather, the job opportunities weren't there, so I moved. I may have complained about PA for a few months before leaving...but finally we just picked up and left. The real estate market wasn't that great but we wanted better things for our lives, so we put our home up for sale...and LEFT. Yes, it was hard financially for a while, but it was well worth it.

I came to FL 8 years ago and LOVE it, my family LOVES it, and I was followed down by my parents, brother & fam, sister & fam, aunt & uncle, and grandmother, and my in-laws and my wife's cousin just bought a second home and will snow bird here. Our kids are in great schools, our taxes are still reasonable, and my HOI hasn't gone up in a couple of years. I make a good living, as do my brother/sister/parents, the weather is beautiful, the kids love the amusement parks, the beaches are great... on and on.

I don't personally know ANY of my neighbors that dosn't like living in Wesley Chapel (where I am). Yes there are some complaints about the increased traffic etc. But nothing like the people on this board who seem to dedicate a large portion of their time and energy to discouraging people from moving to FL.

I'm getting redundant now, so I'll just stop here...but if someone understands, I'd love to hear it.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:19 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,610 times
Some of us have elderly parents here who are in their twilight years... not so easy to just pack up and leave.

scamutz - you said the magic words: "I make a good living..." "taxes are still reasonable, and my HOI hasn't gone up in a couple of years". This is not the case for many. If you had to make double mortgage payments on a lesser income, you would likely be complaining as well.

jannie - "Everyone should be incouraging people to come to beautiful Florida..."
We could certainly tell you anything you want to believe but don't you want to know the truth before moving hundreds of miles? If you are going to be working in the service industry, you should be concerned. Hey, if you are young and without kids and could handle an "adventure", then go for it. Just be sure to have enough money saved to get you back home if things don't work out. Sorry we sound negative, but that is our experience living here right now. I've been here over 20 years and encouraged many people to move down here as it was a great place to live... up until the last 2 years that is. Now we are getting squeezed hard with no end in sight and our neighborhoods are changing very rapidly, not for the better. Sorry that's not what you wanted to hear... what can I say *shrugs shoulders*

Old 12-03-2006, 03:05 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Because, scamutz, many people had become used to a certain lifestyle under a certain set of circumstances and level of effort, but all of a sudden, in the space of about ten years, the environment around them changed, for the worse from their perspective, and the alternatives that they perceive are not necessarily better.

Last edited by bale002; 12-03-2006 at 03:14 AM..

Old 12-03-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Because, scamutz, many people had become used to a certain lifestyle under a certain set of circumstances and level of effort, but all of a sudden, in the space of about ten years, the environment around them changed, for the worse from their perspective, and the alternatives that they perceive are not necessarily better.

So, the only option is to stay and be unhappy? There's got to be SOMEPLACE where you can find that combination of lifestyle, circumstance, and effort. Unless you're just talking about a changing world/economy whatever...in which case I guess your only options are to adapt, or sit around and complain and tell, "Back in the good old days...." stories.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
My H doesn't see alot of what I see; he's in denial.

Maybe there are just a whole lot of us in denial. We think we're happy and love it, but in reality we're living in the Matrix.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
10 years? No, more like 2 years. Since the hurricane season of 2004 to be exact...

Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,216 times
I would have moved sooner but it no longer takes three days to sell a house in Florida.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:33 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,055 times
My house is sold and we are moving out of Florida. I did love it here but too many things have happened that changed my mind. Hurricanes aren't fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida