Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM

24 posts, read 70,638 times

Advertisements

I(homeowner) will be buying a metal roof. It will be permanently attached to my home. This is a real properly improvement. I will be getting a permit for the installation. Some quotes that I have received include FL sales tax, others dont. These written quotes are parts only from FL manufacturers. Does the law require me to pay FL sales tax? If it does, is there a legal way to perform this transaction to avoid paying this tax?

What is the law on this?

thanks,
paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I upgrade to a metal roof and paid tax on it. I am not aware of any exemption that would apply, but you can add it to the cost basis of the house which will help with taxes if and when you sell. Also you may be able to deduct it through a sales tax deduction depending on whether that makes more sense than the default amount for Florida residents.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
You are the end user, you are responsible for paying sales tax. Now if you are buying off of the Internet, you run into whether the company you are buying from has to charge sales tax (laws vary-does the company have a presence in Florida or an agreement to pay Florida sales tax).

This would be a major purchase, like a car, so you should be able to deduct the sales tax on your tax return, but all of that stuff depends on your individual tax situation. As to recovery (tax basis) when you sell, depends again on the price of the home, tax laws at time of disposition, etc.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
If you are installing the metal roof yourself, then yes, you have to pay sales tax. If you have a contractor that quoted you one quote for materials and labor, then you would NOT be considered the end user and the contractor has to pay the sales tax not you. If the contractor quotes you for labor and materials separately, then you are the end user and would have to pay the tax. I hope that makes sense.

[url]http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_library/current/gt800067.pdf[/url]

Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark10nina View Post
If you are installing the metal roof yourself, then yes, you have to pay sales tax. If you have a contractor that quoted you one quote for materials and labor, then you would NOT be considered the end user and the contractor has to pay the sales tax not you. If the contractor quotes you for labor and materials separately, then you are the end user and would have to pay the tax. I hope that makes sense.

http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_libr...t/gt800067.pdf
Yes because if the contractor bought it, he normally would pay sales tax on it at the time he bought it and simply include it in the cost to you, which is best as contractors get discounts on what they buy and charge you the regular price.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:47 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
You are the end user, you are responsible for paying sales tax. Now if you are buying off of the Internet, you run into whether the company you are buying from has to charge sales tax (laws vary-does the company have a presence in Florida or an agreement to pay Florida sales tax).

This would be a major purchase, like a car, so you should be able to deduct the sales tax on your tax return, but all of that stuff depends on your individual tax situation. As to recovery (tax basis) when you sell, depends again on the price of the home, tax laws at time of disposition, etc.
Just to be clear, even things you buy on the internet from out of State, you are supposed to pay sales tax on it. That burden is up to you and obviously nobody ever does. It's a bigger deal for businesses that deal with sales tax audits. It's called a "use tax".

To the homeowner, if you want to get out of sales tax, you could purchase online from out of State. It's not legal to avoid the tax, but that's a decision you can make on your own.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:06 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I would ask the roofer for a 6% discount or rebate

Old 03-09-2017, 07:44 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Just to be clear, even things you buy on the internet from out of State, you are supposed to pay sales tax on it. That burden is up to you and obviously nobody ever does. It's a bigger deal for businesses that deal with sales tax audits. It's called a "use tax".

To the homeowner, if you want to get out of sales tax, you could purchase online from out of State. It's not legal to avoid the tax, but that's a decision you can make on your own.
With a metal roof it would be pretty tough to buy on the web to avoid taxes. Companies that regularly do business in Florida would collect the state tax. If a company didn't regularly do business in Florida, it would be pretty hard to get a permit and show the roofing materials meet wind code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida