Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,950 times

Advertisements

We are empty nesters, ready to flee the high costs of living, ever increasing tax burdens and government over reaches of California.
My husband has an an opportunity to transfer to Florida, in either the Tampa area or the Pensacola area. We are retired military and I'm a caregiver for a marine with sever brain injuries who we have "adopted" and will take with us to live nearby.
We all enjoy outdoor activities, especially our marine. He is very social, even though he can't always communicate well, and can't stay inside for very long! So, after noting the difference in weather, crime, and housing between the two areas, I think the deciding factor comes down to figuring out which area has better amenities and over-all quality of life. How does one even factor that?
For us, we would ideally live in a community that is either very well established (homes from that are 50+ years old with lots of character and well maintained yards) or a newer master planned community, so my vet can walk the neighborhood safely and get to know people. I notice respondents often ask what price range people are looking at for housing. I'd say $450-650k. Then, not too far of a drive from our "sanctuary" would be easy access to all sorts of activities to do on both land and water. In the boonies of CA we have to drive 45 minutes to get to "civilization", shopping, dining, and either mountain or city activities/events; 20 minutes or so would be much better. I appreciate feedback from any of you who have experienced both areas. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM

27,221 posts, read 43,942,133 times
The Tampa Bay area would win hands down for amenities as it's the 16th largest metro area in the country. Given your budget I think you might find Old Northeast in St Petersburg a good option as it's historic, beautifully kept up in general, very walkable and close to Downtown St Pete's shops, restaurants, parks and the bike/walk trail along Tampa Bay.

https://honna.org/2-uncategorised/34-home
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/re.../11havens.html (an old article but it summarizes well)

Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,950 times
St Petersburg sounds very nice!! I will check it out.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:55 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama67 View Post
St Petersburg sounds very nice!! I will check it out.
We love to vacation in downtown St Pete a couple of times a year. We love it! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida