Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 AM

374 posts, read 1,629,343 times

Advertisements

Weight that is! Just wondering how many of you are trying to lose weight and how is it going? I've struggled with my weight most of my life. Sometimes I win and sometimes not. My Cholesterol was quite high when tested last week. I'm 53 and don't want to croak yet!! I have to get back on track. I want to lose it and not find it again.. Share your stories please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I have to lose the "cabin fever" weight I gained from being up north stuck inside from Nov. until Feb., so I am buying a treadmill and off the weight goes. I have been fighting with my weight all my life too. I'm only 38, and the older you get the harder it is to lose it, OR KEEP IT OFF...lol...

Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I have to lose the "cabin fever" weight I gained from being up north stuck inside from Nov. until Feb., so I am buying a treadmill and off the weight goes. I have been fighting with my weight all my life too. I'm only 38, and the older you get the harder it is to lose it, OR KEEP IT OFF...lol...
I have the same problem except for me its from April - November

Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
The stress of living here causes weight gain. Ever since I have to deal with rising property taxes, business issues and Team Metro my six-pack abs are long gone. The hot weather does not encourage excersise either.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:59 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I agree the hot weather does not encourage people to exercise. Many Floridians have "Cabin Fever" From May-November, but this year its been more like year round cabin fever in South Florida we are suppose to hit mid 80s today, not the type of temp that you want to go outside and exercise in, IMO.

Close to record breaking heat expected this weekend, they are forecasting High 80's.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
In a northern climate I would think that you would be more motivated to excercise, even in a home gym. As for recreation, I still feel that a basement rec room or home bowling would be fun on those winter days.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 AM

250 posts, read 1,469,925 times
I have been here since Oct 2005 from the UK and I have struggled with my weight at times (after my 2 kids, and after I gave up smoking)...I am currently dieting right now as I have put on about I guess about 15-20lb since moving here....I have up to date after 8 weeks lost 13lb but it is slow going.....portions sizes here are so large compared to what I am used to.....and sometimes if you are out and you pay for the food you feel you have to eat it all...lol (anyone else feel like that??!!!)
Sugar free Jello has been my best friend lately for a sweet tasting fix....

Old 03-14-2008, 10:19 AM

126 posts, read 341,405 times
Get yourself to the gym .Hit the treadmill do some swimming .There's no easy answer .Change is the answer you can do it Take baby steps and let yourself be number 1 Good Luck keep us posted

Old 03-14-2008, 10:52 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
I have found that keeping a 3 lb ceiling on weight gain has helped me maintain my body size over the years. As soon as I see the scale go up 3 lbs I really cut back for a few days.
The only time I have gained weight is when I stopped watching my three pound ceiling and started eating out every day at work. I managed to gain 30 lbs and hated myself for it. I have since lost all of that by eating smaller portions and using some meal replacement bars.
I keep fit by riding my horse every day ( hard work and great cardio when you ride with a lot of leg)
I pretty much eat what ever I want in MODERATION always.
If I have a burger and fries, (gotta love Checkers fries) that is my meal for the entire day.
The portion sizes in the USA are certainly generous and as tempting as it is to finish what is on your plate, I have the food removed as soon as I feel satisfied.

I really think when we stuff ourselves to feel "full" we tend to put on the pounds easy.
Best of luck to everyone trying to weight. It is hard but when you get started and see the results it certainly feels good and keeps you on track.

I am a size 4 and I am 44, I feel pretty good about that!!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 AM

374 posts, read 1,629,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueilp View Post
I have been here since Oct 2005 from the UK and I have struggled with my weight at times (after my 2 kids, and after I gave up smoking)...I am currently dieting right now as I have put on about I guess about 15-20lb since moving here....I have up to date after 8 weeks lost 13lb but it is slow going.....portions sizes here are so large compared to what I am used to.....and sometimes if you are out and you pay for the food you feel you have to eat it all...lol (anyone else feel like that??!!!)
Sugar free Jello has been my best friend lately for a sweet tasting fix....
Good job!!! What diet are you on???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: