Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times

Advertisements

Florida: thousands of miles of beautiful coastline... pristine lakes, rivers, islands, nature, flora & fauna, wildlife, and history... all relatively cheap - and yet, the masses flock to the theme park equivalent of Wal*Mart.

The world is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Florida: thousands of miles of beautiful coastline... pristine lakes, rivers, islands, nature, flora & fauna, wildlife, and history... all relatively cheap - and yet, the masses flock to the theme park equivalent of Wal*Mart.

The world is awesome.
And that is your opinion, you know what they say about opinions...

Not everyone wants to look at flowers, play in the alligator dwelling lakes, I'm not Steve Darwin. I didn't say I'm running off to Disney... I said that's the only reason to come back here when I leave, AGAIN, for good. To bring my 9 year old DAUGHTER, I think kids like to see theme parks once in a while, not just flowers, wildlife, and rivers... unless you are 75 and want to look at flowers all day.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Sorry, but you probably won't be able to afford it Have you seen what it cost for a family of four to go to Disney for ONE day (to include parking, food & gifts)? And besides that, it is so overcrowded since every European can afford it now since the dollar is down the toilet. We went there last August & I was ready to leave before we even got into the park it was so crowded with people pushing to get onto the ferry as if the park was going to be gone if they didn't swarm the ferry like unfeed wild animals. Not a fun time. And Shamu isn't much cheaper. It's just wrong but business is business & parents will sell the family jewels so their kids can see Mickey & corporate Disney knows that all to well.

That was the same line I gave my dh though It's a nice place to visit when you have little kids & don't have to deal with excessive crowds.

FL isn't the place to move to without a job or anywhere for that matter..
Ya, you are right, it does cost way too much to go to any park. $60+ for tickets, food is rediculous, then hotel. We are talking $1000+ for a weekend.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
Yes, anything remotely educational - glass bottom boat tours, prehistoric geological wonders, shelling, visiting historical sites, learning about endangered animals, etc is only for the geriatrics... I forgot.

My point is similar to 121's. For a symbol that is so universally accessible to children - i.e. "the mouse", the movies, the "MAGIC" - to literally cost half of a families annual salary is a shame - and disgusting - and people eat it up like candy.

But FL needs Disney I suppose. Though, there are plenty of state parks that are in desperate need of visitors. Sad. Note to self - never let future children get their cultural education from the Epcot Center.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Well here it is nearly 2 months later... I have been working at my parents new restaurant. As busy as it was before the snowbirds left, it's dropped off as to where they may just close it up and file bankruptcy. It won't survive another month or 2. People really like it, good food and all, but the economy and Florida alone are not working in thier favor. We can't keep it open at $600 a day income. Just to pay his employees is about that. It really sucks. My parents home is at the verge of foreclosure trying to save the house or restaurant is not easy, the restaurant goes first, I know that. my wife and I offered to move in with them just to help save the house. I work there 45-50 hours and tell them to pay me 30 hours just to help. Not a good deal here in wonderful Florida.

I see myself returning to Massachusetts by September. Maybe even the parents? When I leave this time, I will NEVER come back here unless it's to see Mickey or Shamu.

In every experience, there's a valuable lesson. At least I hope you were able to take something away from this. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM

23 posts, read 229,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Is it as bad all over Florida, as it is in SW Florida? Everyone wants to hire you part time so they can get out of giving you benefits. 3 years ago in my career type(property management/maintenance) there were positions all the time in the papers, careerbuilder, etc. Now there is about NOTHING. I hope something breaks soon, I don't feel like working at Taco Bell. i can see the changes in the past 3 years.
Florida is a right to work state, so all the employers have to do is give you a job and can fire you without reason. I believe this is because Fl is a transient state, people come and go so quickly.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:03 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
States with Right to work:

DOL WHD: State Labor Laws: State Right-to-work Laws (http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/righttowork.htm - broken link)

Inf on fair pay:

DOL's FairPay Overtime Initiative

Old 06-17-2008, 03:03 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
States with Right to work:

DOL WHD: State Labor Laws: State Right-to-work Laws (http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/righttowork.htm - broken link)

Inf on fair pay:

DOL's FairPay Overtime Initiative

DOL WHD: FairPay (http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/fairpay/main.htm - broken link)

Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,196 times
I worked in Florida selling real estate in 2002-2004. The weather is the obvious lure to move to the state. I quickly learned, if you don't have the $ to enjoy the Fl. life style it is time to get out. The best way to leave Florida with a small fortune is to go down with a big one. Good luck to all.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:25 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
When will people learn that Disney is a shopping mall that you pay to get in to?

As long as you know that it will cost a lot of money, it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida