Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,268 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, i have recently been looking to purchase a sinkhole property in the Bay area, but am now having second thoughts. Looking in either Clearwater, Tarpon, or New Port Richey. Curious which area would be best to avoid these. One of the repaired sinkhole homes i had look at had a really lumpy yard with a couple of holes in the front yard that were almost a 1ft deep and maybe 5-6 inches in diameter. From what i understand they only repair underneath the house and pool (if there is one). Has anyone here had any experience with either purchasing or owning one, and also what might your advice be for someone like myself who is currently in the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Best advice I can give is to read the following articles carefully:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/longfo...epair-industry

Seventh home condemned after massive Land O'Lakes sinkhole

One of the two original sinkhole homes in this case had previous sinkhole repair work done.....

Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
IMO, most sinkholes are like icebergs with the bulk of the hole underground. They tend to grow as the surface level collapses into the underlying hole (which also expands). It doesn't sound like your sinkholes are that large, but, unless you are getting a really amazing deal, why take the risk?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:53 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Plus sinkhole damage may not be covered by your homeowner's insurance policy because the law defines sinkhole damage differently from catastrophic ground cover collapse. Actual sinkhole coverage is now more likely a rider to your policy and the coverage very limited.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:09 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Sounds like buying used tires.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 AM

6,385 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Here is my take on sinkholes:

I advise anyone looking to move to Florida watch this PBS show Nova called Sinkholes - Buried Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6tOug5ZFAw

They gave an example that if you had 50 acres you wanted to sell, you don't want to know if there are sinkholes because then you couldn't sell it. If a developer bought it they don't want to know because they put in all that infrastructure for nothing. The local government doesn't want to know because then they wouldn't get tax revenue. So in the end it falls on the homeowner.

I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one. I asked what would happen if one opened up within a mile of an existing development, would they cancel everyone's insurance? He had no answer for me.

The insurance is expensive and only covers "a catastrophic ground collapse" that destroys your home, if its only partly destroyed you may not be covered plus there is a huge deductible.

When you sell the house you will have to disclose its on a sinkhole and no one will touch it.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:42 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one.
That's 100% false.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:47 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I would never touch one for free. Once a hole always a chance it will reopen. With us going months with no rain and then having under ground water pumped away like crazy it's no wonder we don't have more.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:22 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I would never touch one for free. Once a hole always a chance it will reopen. With us going months with no rain and then having under ground water pumped away like crazy it's no wonder we don't have more.
Yup, just need to add fracking and we'll be set lol

Old 02-24-2018, 08:35 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Here is my take on sinkholes:

I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one. I asked what would happen if one opened up within a mile of an existing development, would they cancel everyone's insurance? He had no answer for me.

The insurance is expensive and only covers "a catastrophic ground collapse" that destroys your home, if its only partly destroyed you may not be covered plus there is a huge deductible.
Of course, if one was really interested in insurance facts, one would ask an Insurance agent, not a Realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida