Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:38 AM

4 posts, read 10,859 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of you out there in City Data Land. I am hoping someone can help me with their opinions and/or experiences with Lake Placid, Florida. I am retiring and looking to leave South Florida and move somewhere peaceful and calm, with a low crime rate, light traffic, and away from the coasts. All the info I have been able to find on Lake Placid or Sebring has been from years ago. I would like to hear about how Lake Placid is in 2018. Thank you very much for any info you can pass my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 10:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBee74 View Post
Hello to all of you out there in City Data Land. I am hoping someone can help me with their opinions and/or experiences with Lake Placid, Florida. I am retiring and looking to leave South Florida and move somewhere peaceful and calm, with a low crime rate, light traffic, and away from the coasts. All the info I have been able to find on Lake Placid or Sebring has been from years ago. I would like to hear about how Lake Placid is in 2018. Thank you very much for any info you can pass my way.
I am sorry I can't help you, but by coincidence I was watching "House Hunters" on HGTV last night and it was about people looking for a home in Lake Placid! It looked pretty nice there, but really I know nothing. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,402 times
It's a very pretty little town. Very low crime. Peaceful, affordable, plenty of stores and whatnot nearby for convenience.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:49 AM

617 posts, read 832,461 times
Very quiet and slow paced, pretty much zero traffic after 9pm. Lots of lakes in the area so if you don't get a lakehouse, chances are you'll eventually meet someone with a house on the lake with a boat.

There's not a lot to do there, and even Sebring doesn't have a whole lot of options for dining or shopping. There's one large retail plaza with some of your more familiar big box stores, a small mall, and a small quaint downtown area with local shops. There's a couple of chain restaurants and maybe some average local restaurants between Sebring and Lake Placid, but that's about it. You'll have to drive 2 hours to Orlando, 2 hours to Ft. Lauderdale, and 2 hours to Tampa.

If you're looking for quiet and laid back and don't want to be near the coast, then Lake Placid might be a good option for you.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 AM

50,357 posts, read 63,939,201 times
My sister in law and hubby had a winter home in a very nicely maintained mobile home park there. Sorry I can’t remamber the name, but it was on a body of water. They enjoyed the first few years, but then sold it, because it was sooo boring there.

They are not party people, but they didn’t make any lasting friendships and there is absolutely nothing to do, aside from a few tourist attractions.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:23 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBee74 View Post
I get your wanting to move out of South Florida for calm but as already alluded to it could be 180 degrees from where you are now and perhaps too quiet. Have you considered a more vibrant yet quieter place like Gainesville? Despite the fact it's a college town there are many quiet, low crime neighborhoods in town or just on the outskirts that'll give you easy access to plenty to do and something else worth considering in retirement, quality healthcare in close proximity at UF-Shands.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:12 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times
Very small town, like a thousand people. People are friendly, and will wave to you when out driving or walking on the streets. Lots of lakes everywhere and landscape is pretty hilly for a FL location. Fishing, boating, outdoor activities are pretty common. The cost of living is relatively low. The area is pretty dead after 8 pm and most local owned businesses are closed on Sunday which is nice. A lot of folks travel up to Sebring for shopping. Sure is a stark difference from South FL. The churches there would be a good way to meet people.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 PM

164 posts, read 227,643 times
My mother in law lives in Placid Lakes, just outside Lake Placid. I prefer that to the actual city itself of Lake Placid. It is indeed quiet, but peaceful and there are plenty of outdoor activities, such as fishing, golf, boating, biking, hiking, birding, nature, etc. Sebring is just about 20 to 30 minutes north and has the usual chain restaurants and big box stores. I was born and raised in South Florida and I left last year to of all places, Boise Idaho. Have family here and never lived outside of Florida. Now that I got that out of my system, my wife and I are probably going to return to Florida, and Placid Lakes/Sebring is our current target area. It is about 2 hours or so from: South Florida, Orlando, Tampa, Naples, Fort Myers, etc. So really a good strategic location. Nice 3/2 homes go between $130,000 and $200,000. Of course, big houses on the lake go for much more.

Placid Lakes/Lake Placid is a serious retirement area, with many people from the NE and Mid-west living there. About 5,000 people. Sebring has about 10,000.

Warning - Highlands County got-hit hard by the hurricane last year, so check over any homes you are looking at very carefully.

Best of luck, let me know if you need more info, my wife is visiting Placid Lakes right now.

Dart Humeston

Old 04-29-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Thank You All!

Thank you, everyone, for your responses to my post. They were all very helpful and had good information. Lake Placid is sounding more and more like what I am looking for.

I like outdoor activities, like birding and hiking and just generally enjoying nature. Although, at my age, I'm much slower and my old knees keep me from long hiking :-), but I would enjoy some light nature watching.

In my research, I saw that Lake Placid has Florida Hospital - Lake Placid. Does anyone know how the medical care is there? I know it would not compare to Gainesville's medical centers.

I like the idea of light traffic!

I would be interested in any details about crime and safety. Although, coming from Miami, if there is only 1 murder a week, it would sound great to me :-).

If anyone thinks of any other information that might help in my relocation decision, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
My mother in law lives in Placid Lakes, just outside Lake Placid. I prefer that to the actual city itself of Lake Placid. It is indeed quiet, but peaceful and there are plenty of outdoor activities, such as fishing, golf, boating, biking, hiking, birding, nature, etc. Sebring is just about 20 to 30 minutes north and has the usual chain restaurants and big box stores. I was born and raised in South Florida and I left last year to of all places, Boise Idaho. Have family here and never lived outside of Florida. Now that I got that out of my system, my wife and I are probably going to return to Florida, and Placid Lakes/Sebring is our current target area. It is about 2 hours or so from: South Florida, Orlando, Tampa, Naples, Fort Myers, etc. So really a good strategic location. Nice 3/2 homes go between $130,000 and $200,000. Of course, big houses on the lake go for much more.

Placid Lakes/Lake Placid is a serious retirement area, with many people from the NE and Mid-west living there. About 5,000 people. Sebring has about 10,000.

Warning - Highlands County got-hit hard by the hurricane last year, so check over any homes you are looking at very carefully.

Best of luck, let me know if you need more info, my wife is visiting Placid Lakes right now.

Dart Humeston
Hello Mr. Humeston,

How was your wife's visit to Lake Placid? Did she like it? What did she think?

I can't believe you relocated to Boise! What a weather shock that must have been. :-)

Thank you for your post, it had great info in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida