Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:09 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,857,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Exactly.

Online shopping may be cheaper and more convenient for general merchandise like books (hands down the best), electronics, and some clothes (especially if stores are always out of your size). Also, it has given people access to things they may not be physically available in their areas. However, at this point in time, grocery delivery is a premium service. I know of people who are barely getting by with the prices at Aldi and Walmart. They won't be using InstaCart with its mark ups, delivery fees, and expected tips anytime soon. Financially struggling or "I'm doing okay but I'm one emergency away from a disaster" people don't see spending an extra $15 per bill to have groceries delivered as them saving time. They just think about the extra $15.

Tell me again why this is a "premium" service?

Here is what I have in my Amazon Prime Now shopping cart right at this moment. The total comes to under $36 and it will be delivered to my house in less than 2 hours. NO FEES. (I am a Prime member of course.) There is nothing on this list that looks overly "marked up" to me.

Horizon Organic, Whole Milk, Ultra Pasteurized, Half Gallon 64 oz,

$4.99 ($0.08/Fl Oz)

Kerrygold, Pure Irish Butter, Salted, 8 oz
$3.79 ($0.47/Ounce)

Nature's Own, Honey Wheat Bread. 20 oz
$3.09 ($0.15/Ounce)

Windex Original Glass Cleaner, 23 fl oz
$3.49 ($0.15/Fl Oz) $3.77

Daisy, Sour Cream, 16 oz
$2.19 ($0.14/Ounce)

Red Raspberries, 6 oz
$3.19 ($0.53/Ounce)

Aquafina Water, 16.9 oz (Pack of 24)
$4.49 ($0.01/Fl Oz)

Tostitos Salsa Con Queso - Medium, 15 Ounce
$3.30 ($0.22/Ounce) $3.69

Avocado, large, ready to eat
$1.49 ($1.49/Count)

Organic Strawberries, 1 lb
$5.49 ($0.41/Ounce)

Organic Bananas, 1 bunch
$2.49 ($1.25/Pound)

Tell me again why, if I can have this delivered to my house in 2 hours, why I should put on clothes, get in the car, drive 15 min to the store, find a parking spot, walk the store, pick my items, wait in line, load up the car (which by now is like an oven inside from sitting in the heat), drive 15 min home, bring the stuff inside the house (hopefully not in the middle of a downpour)?

Even if there was a SLIGHT markup on these items, it's worth it. I am saving money by saving time (which is priceless), gas, miles on my car and the always-there possibility of someone crashing into me or getting a ticket by some cop looking to meet his quota!

I do agree that buying SOME foods online are more expensive, like premium seafood, premium meats, etc. But not your average groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:39 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Tell me again why this is a "premium" service?

Here is what I have in my Amazon Prime Now shopping cart right at this moment. The total comes to under $36 and it will be delivered to my house in less than 2 hours. NO FEES. (I am a Prime member of course.) There is nothing on this list that looks overly "marked up" to me.

Horizon Organic, Whole Milk, Ultra Pasteurized, Half Gallon 64 oz,

$4.99 ($0.08/Fl Oz) Publix Greenwise GALLON Organic, $4.99, Aldi has half gallon for likely $2.99

Kerrygold, Pure Irish Butter, Salted, 8 oz
$3.79 ($0.47/Ounce)

Nature's Own, Honey Wheat Bread. 20 oz
$3.09 ($0.15/Ounce) Common BOGO at Publix

Windex Original Glass Cleaner, 23 fl oz
$3.49 ($0.15/Fl Oz) $3.77 Common BOGO at Publix. Could be free with coupons.

Daisy, Sour Cream, 16 oz
$2.19 ($0.14/Ounce)

Red Raspberries, 6 oz
$3.19 ($0.53/Ounce) $1.67 to $2.50 in season at reg stores or produce store.

Aquafina Water, 16.9 oz (Pack of 24)
$4.49 ($0.01/Fl Oz) $2.99 for Pack of 24 of most brands on sale; I'm a "water is water" person.

Tostitos Salsa Con Queso - Medium, 15 Ounce
$3.30 ($0.22/Ounce) $3.69

Avocado, large, ready to eat
$1.49 ($1.49/Count)

Organic Strawberries, 1 lb
$5.49 ($0.41/Ounce) $0.99 to $2.50 for conventional, which most struggling or okay families are buying. $2.50 to $4.50 for organic depending on the store and season

Organic Bananas, 1 bunch
$2.49 ($1.25/Pound) $0.59/lb for conventional, $0.79-$0.99 for organic

Tell me again why, if I can have this delivered to my house in 2 hours, why I should put on clothes, get in the car, drive 15 min to the store, find a parking spot, walk the store, pick my items, wait in line, load up the car (which by now is like an oven inside from sitting in the heat), drive 15 min home, bring the stuff inside the house (hopefully not in the middle of a downpour)?

Even if there was a SLIGHT markup on these items, it's worth it. I am saving money by saving time (which is priceless), gas, miles on my car and the always-there possibility of someone crashing into me or getting a ticket by some cop looking to meet his quota!

I do agree that buying SOME foods online are more expensive, like premium seafood, premium meats, etc. But not your average groceries.
First of all, the markups plus delivery fees plus tips were about Instacart, which I have stated several times on these various grocery threads. I guess that's what another poster means by "constantly changing goalposts." While reasonable (except for their meat prices), Amazon Prime Now food is still more expensive than a traditional store. I've marked contrasting prices based on what I've seen elsewhere. Their meat prices are astronomical and their produce options (at least in Orlando) are limited, so there's still a trip to a physical store.

The point is that this works for you and others in your situation and it is a premium service for those who are just everyday regular folk or barely getting by. And guess what, Prime Now, InstaCart, etc. is not even an option for people in small town USA. There is room in the market for all methods of shopping. That's why there's an emphasis on "omnichannel" in the retail world.

The struggling family is not going to use Prime Now or Instacart regularly. Even many average income families are not going to do this. They're not thinking about time saved when they only have $50 to spend on groceries and need to buy as much food as that can buy. They're just going to go to Aldi. (Even some suburbanites who have their noses so far up in the air that they wouldn't step into a Walmart rave about Aldi.) $5.89 for ABF chicken breasts on Prime? They're just going to go to Winn-Dixie to get conventional for $1.97 on sale or everyday at Aldi, or do $2.99 Tuesday at Fresh Market if they really want ABF chicken breasts.

Advances in technology are great and I'm a techie at heart, but this idea that something new is by default better and eliminates the need for the old way is a fallacy.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
First of all, the markups plus delivery fees plus tips were about Instacart, which I have stated several times on these various grocery threads. I guess that's what another poster means by "constantly changing goalposts." While reasonable (except for their meat prices), Amazon Prime Now food is still more expensive than a traditional store. I've marked contrasting prices based on what I've seen elsewhere. Their meat prices are astronomical and their produce options (at least in Orlando) are limited, so there's still a trip to a physical store.

The point is that this works for you and others in your situation and it is a premium service for those who are just everyday regular folk or barely getting by. And guess what, Prime Now, InstaCart, etc. is not even an option for people in small town USA. There is room in the market for all methods of shopping. That's why there's an emphasis on "omnichannel" in the retail world.

The struggling family is not going to use Prime Now or Instacart regularly. Even many average income families are not going to do this. They're not thinking about time saved when they only have $50 to spend on groceries and need to buy as much food as that can buy. They're just going to go to Aldi. (Even some suburbanites who have their noses so far up in the air that they wouldn't step into a Walmart rave about Aldi.) $5.89 for ABF chicken breasts on Prime? They're just going to go to Winn-Dixie to get conventional for $1.97 on sale or everyday at Aldi, or do $2.99 Tuesday at Fresh Market if they really want ABF chicken breasts.

Advances in technology are great and I'm a techie at heart, but this idea that something new is by default better and eliminates the need for the old way is a fallacy.

You sure do love that word "premium". I guess you think 99% of Americans grocery shop exclusively at Dollar General and ALDI?

Do you think Kroger is a "premium" store where only "premium" people like me shop?

Because they are going to be rolling out (literally) grocery delivery for FREE.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/krog...-delivery.html

I know many many average income earners (less than $75k household income) who shop Walmart Grocery Delivery and Pickup on a weekly basis.

It's very easy for them. They just click the reorder button every week. Saves time. Which as I have said, IS MONEY.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Instacart not even an option in small town America? I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue with someone who is so clueless. About a month ago I had a call with Apoorva Mehta (I'm sure you know who he is) and guess what he told me? Instacart is growing revenue the fastest in SMALL TOWNS. There is more demand for Instacart in rural areas than urban. And the reasons are obvious. But if you need a little knowledge, read here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/e-comme...ice-1473615741

Please do not pass, ignore or fail to read the following sentence:

Residents here are even starting to buy groceries online because frequently it is cheaper than at the town’s United Supermarkets.

Let me know if I should put that in flashing lights, just so you don't miss it.

Last edited by sinatras; 06-28-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Instacart not even an option in small town America? I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue with someone who is so clueless. About a month ago I had a call with Apoorva Mehta (I'm sure you know who he is) and guess what he told me? Instacart is growing revenue the fastest in SMALL TOWNS. There is more demand for Instacart in rural areas than urban. And the reasons are obvious. But if you need a little knowledge, read here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/e-comme...ice-1473615741

Please do not pass, ignore or fail to read the following sentence:

Residents here are even starting to buy groceries online because frequently it is cheaper than at the town’s United Supermarkets.

Let me know if I should put that in flashing lights, just so you don't miss it.
That article is behind a paywall, but point taken. It's good that InstaCart is doing that, because many things that we take for granted in the cities don't exist in small town America. However, one incorrect statement doesn't invalidate all my other points. We're not in politics lol. And just because online beats this random grocer doesn't mean that's the norm for everyone.

Quote:
You sure do love that word "premium". I guess you think 99% of Americans grocery shop exclusively at Dollar General and ALDI?

Do you think Kroger is a "premium" store where only "premium" people like me shop?

Because they are going to be rolling out (literally) grocery delivery for FREE.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/krog...-delivery.html

I know many many average income earners (less than $75k household income) who shop Walmart Grocery Delivery and Pickup on a weekly basis.

It's very easy for them. They just click the reorder button every week. Saves time. Which as I have said, IS MONEY.
Goalposts change again...

No, Kroger is not a premium store. It's a middle market store that finds itself worried about its future as "middle class" stores decline in lieu of the discounters and premium stores.

Amazon Prime Now, and what you'd get via delivery at Kroger today, which is via INSTACART, versus some arbitrary plan of what they plan to do in the future is a premium service for me. I actually think shopping at "regular" stores like Publix, Kroger, Safeway, CVS, and Walgreens using sales and/or coupons will get you the same or better prices with superior service than Aldi or Walmart. There's a whole world out there about it. Just check out moneysavingmom.com, iheartkroger.com, and iheartpublix.com. Again. This may not be for you, but Crystal Paine, the voice behind Money Saving Mom along with others with similar websites have made quite good livings helping their large audiences maximize their budgets, which is best accomplished through physical shopping when it comes to food. That process is time consuming in the beginning, but as with all learned skills, gets easier and faster with time. Again, when you're struggling financially, you think about money first and not time.

Like I've said a million times in a myriad of ways, different strokes for different folks. The advent of new ways of doing things doesn't always necessarily make the old way of doing things worse or irrelevant.

I may like to go to the grocery store every week but pay a company to wash my car. You may be the type that doesn't want anyone touching your car and do it yourself but hate the grocery experience and prefer to do it online. Same difference. :-)

Last edited by boy3365; 06-28-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
That article is behind a paywall, but point taken. It's good that InstaCart is doing that, because many things that we take for granted in the cities don't exist in small town America. However, one incorrect statement doesn't invalidate all my other points. We're not in politics lol. And just because online beats this random grocer doesn't mean that's the norm for everyone.
Since you are too cheap to subscribe to the WSJ, here's some more article comments:

"We just ordered 6 containers of Oxiclean Dishwasher Detergent from Mill's Fleet Farm in the Midwest... We live in Florida. It's cheaper and less hassle than going to Wal-Mart. Also we order food, clothing, ammunition, tools, magazines, pillows, anything and everything we need or want. Better than pushing a cart around Home Depot, Publix, Wal-Mart, and other big box stores. We're seniors. Target, Kohl's and other stores are crowded, huge and the checkout lines are just nuts. Parking is an adventure (not to forget we can now be assured of being mugged). So, we order online from the air-conditioned comfort of home! I hate big box retailers! I miss our community stores. It used to be fun and sociable to shop."

"Amazon and UPS have been life changing for us, as we live on a farm in Iowa. I've always said I cannot believe how cheap it is to get an item delivered to our door step. With the terrible service we see from Wal-mart, we're more than happy to shop as much as possible from Amazon, delivered by UPS. Even dog food is priced competitively from Amazon vs driving 30 minutes to a store."

"There are days that I get UPS, USPS, and FedEx delivering packages to me at my farm in rural Virginia with usually at least one a day. I even have a picture of all three in my driveway at once. I have no idea what the delivery density is in this area, but I'm moderately sure they're not making a profit on my deliveries. That said, it's an incredible convenience and cost savings in time for me. When I have the need for something I can simply pick up my phone, find it, order it, and forget about it."

"In the past I might have to drive around to several auto parts stores to find what I need. Now I can usually get it from Amazon at a cheaper price with free two day shipping. The same with appliance parts. The same with some hiking sandals I just bought. And some tee shirts to wear to the gym. And a battery for my riding lawnmower. And pancake mix. And . . ."

"I love Amazon. I always hated going to a store, trying to find what I wanted, and hated returning items. Amazon's prime has gone from a two-day service to a three-day service, but the number and range of available items is outstanding and unbeatable. Amazon uses "shippers" including USPS. If it doesn't have prime free shipping, I'm much less likely to purchase it. I have bought items I would have never bothered to try to find. Amazon is the best technological advancement in the last decade. "

By the way, never heard of Mill's Fleet Farm. But as you can see, people are ordering groceries from anywhere and everywhere. Even retirees on a fixed income.

And all of that is affecting retailers like Walmart, Kroger, Publix, etc. That's 6 containers less of Oxiclean that Publix is selling....

Old 06-28-2018, 11:23 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
sinatras, it's great that you can get delivery in Tampa, Maui, Paris, Iowa and Virginia and that you are retired! That's the key! I work and travel a lot for my job and live in a condo in Miami so I can't take advantage of all the delivery options that are available to you. I'd have to be home to buzz the driver into my building and sometimes they require a signature. Right now I'm home waiting for a delivery from USPS (I didn't have a choice of delivery company and I know this package requires a signature) and I go crazy since I can't leave my condo, I can't take a shower, I can't do a lot or I won't hear the knock on my door and then I'll be waiting again for the delivery again tomorrow or Monday.

Maybe in a few years I'll be retired and will be able to use these services! But then I'll have more time to drive around and shop.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherstone View Post
If a single person or a married couple w children have too much going on in their lives to go shop for human sustenance, they are the ouliers, or just plain lazy. Most Americans aren't THAT busy, but some are THAT fat and lazy for sure.
I was at Target the other day and saw the parking spaces for pre-ordered products. I thought to myself - "Americans are sure lazy"... but I guess this the way of the future. (Not that sinatras is fat or lazy, he/she is probably just too busy!)

Old 06-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I was at Target the other day and saw the parking spaces for pre-ordered products. I thought to myself - "Americans are sure lazy"... but I guess this the way of the future. (Not that sinatras is fat or lazy, he/she is probably just too busy!)
LOL love your name SanyBelle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
LOL love your name SanyBelle!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I'll be on Sanibel Island next week. I wonder if Jerry's delivers? But half of the fun in going to Jerry's is seeing the birds.

Yep, they do! https://www.jerrysgood2go.com/online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida