Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times

Advertisements

Today's fake headline;

Long time Florida resident crushed under shopping cart.
(Publix asking for donations)

Asking customers for donations at checkout?
Another good reason to avoid Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
In an age in which a consumer can shop for anything at any time with the click of a button, I have high expectations of all retailers, not just Publix. I have the same expectations of Costco, Trader Joe's, Nordstrom, etc. I do not have high expectations of Burger King.

You only live up to the expectations that you set for yourself. Wise advice for any retailer hoping to stay competitive.
Except you don't have a solid understanding of the grocery marketplace. Since you mentioned Kroger's online sales, I went and checked it out. Yes, you can have all of your groceries delivered right to your door--through Kroger's partnership with Instacart....just like Publix has. (Personally, I find that Instacart would be too expensive for my liking, adding around 20% to my weekly grocery bill, but I do know people that use it and are happy with it).

The only other really good way to order perishable foods online is like Wal-Mart does, where you order online, someone picks out your groceries, you drive to Wal-Mart, and they throw it in your car. As I said, I don't consider this "online" ordering because you still have to drive to the store. At that point, why not just do your own shopping?

Sure there are companies like Hello Fresh, Plated, etc. that will deliver "fresh" food to your door, but from the reviews I've read, it can be pretty hit or miss as to whether the UPS guy will have trashed your box and your dry ice is leaking all over your doorstep...so food no longer fresh. Plus, it's prohibitively expensive for most average people to do a majority of their meals from those companies.

Much of your earlier list of stuff was all non-perishable, center store kind of items like the special salsa (although you did say you went to an actual store to get it...not had it delivered). Yes, that kind of stuff can be shipped easily, although the profit margin on center store items is so slim. (If one vacuumed-sealed bag of coffee from a case gets damaged, the store has now lost money on that entire case). Target, Amazon, and Wal-Mart can afford to ship that kind of stuff because they also sell lots of items that have much better markup. But, why would I pay $5.99 to fill that Amazon Pantry box up with Honey Nut Cheerios, when I can just grab them at my local grocery store while I'm grabbing all my fresh meat and produce?

So, yes, you can order your groceries online and have them delivered right to your door right from the Publix website. But, then again I'm confused--you don't like Publix because they never have the stuff that you want (even though no single store does), or because they won't deliver groceries to your door (which they will)? The goalposts seem to keep moving.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Sure there are companies like Hello Fresh, Plated, etc. that will deliver "fresh" food to your door, but from the reviews I've read, it can be pretty hit or miss as to whether the UPS guy will have trashed your box and your dry ice is leaking all over your doorstep...so food no longer fresh.
Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. It is special because it doesn't melt. Dry ice at atmospheric pressure goes straight from solid form to gas form. This is called sublimation.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesLarkin View Post
As a casual observer reading this thread it's plainly obvious that a few have dubious motives anyway in complaining about Publix here in Florida. It seems like a thinly cloaked effort to damage Publix.
You said that when you posted under the name Lance Cartwright.

BTW, say hi to Xia Ping for me. Lol

Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Quote:
Except you don't have a solid understanding of the grocery marketplace. Since you mentioned Kroger's online sales, I went and checked it out. Yes, you can have all of your groceries delivered right to your door--through Kroger's partnership with Instacart....just like Publix has. (Personally, I find that Instacart would be too expensive for my liking, adding around 20% to my weekly grocery bill, but I do know people that use it and are happy with it).

The only other really good way to order perishable foods online is like Wal-Mart does, where you order online, someone picks out your groceries, you drive to Wal-Mart, and they throw it in your car. As I said, I don't consider this "online" ordering because you still have to drive to the store. At that point, why not just do your own shopping?

Sure there are companies like Hello Fresh, Plated, etc. that will deliver "fresh" food to your door, but from the reviews I've read, it can be pretty hit or miss as to whether the UPS guy will have trashed your box and your dry ice is leaking all over your doorstep...so food no longer fresh. Plus, it's prohibitively expensive for most average people to do a majority of their meals from those companies.

Much of your earlier list of stuff was all non-perishable, center store kind of items like the special salsa (although you did say you went to an actual store to get it...not had it delivered). Yes, that kind of stuff can be shipped easily, although the profit margin on center store items is so slim. (If one vacuumed-sealed bag of coffee from a case gets damaged, the store has now lost money on that entire case). Target, Amazon, and Wal-Mart can afford to ship that kind of stuff because they also sell lots of items that have much better markup. But, why would I pay $5.99 to fill that Amazon Pantry box up with Honey Nut Cheerios, when I can just grab them at my local grocery store while I'm grabbing all my fresh meat and produce?

So, yes, you can order your groceries online and have them delivered right to your door right from the Publix website. But, then again I'm confused--you don't like Publix because they never have the stuff that you want (even though no single store does), or because they won't deliver groceries to your door (which they will)? The goalposts seem to keep moving.

Great points.

-Many stores have chosen to outsource delivery through Instacart and/or Shipt, including almighty Wegmans. Restaurants that haven't typically offered delivery do it through Uber Eats, Grubhub, Amazon Restaurants, etc. Why spend a bunch of money developing an infrastructure and hiring extra employees for something that may not work (like the "too early to market" Publix Direct) when another company can do it for you? Perhaps if/when delivery *really* blows up, they will take it in house.

-Meal kit companies need grocery stores more than grocery stores need meal kit products. People aren't subscribing over the long term and the grocers can help them attract new customers. I like the idea of a meal kit helping me to explore new recipes, but it's not something I would like as a subscription. Placing them in grocery stores allows me to get them when I want. If one of the companies strikes a deal with a store we have here in Central Florida, they are more likely to get my money than being an online-only subscription company.

-Things like Amazon Pantry, Uber Eats and Instacart are more about convenience than cost. Some are willing to pay the fees and markups to buy back an hour of their time. If you're a high powered attorney, hospital doctor, executive, successful small business owner, etc. with a spouse and 3 young children at home, then not only is the cost not an issue, but you'll more importantly appreciate the time saved not going to the grocery store, department store, restaurant if you're bringing it home, etc. That's not my lifestyle at this moment, so I just go to the grocery store.

That goes to say that there is space in the market for all of these options. I don't like this idea that because we can order stuff online, we don't need stores anymore. I remember when Amazon Prime services ceased to exist for about a week or two during Hurricane Irma.

Floridians say Amazon let them down ahead of Irma | Daily Mail Online

Stores don't need to expand their online options at the expense of their in-store experiences. You have companies like Lucky's Market who refuse to do the online thing because they are all about the in-store experience.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. It is special because it doesn't melt. Dry ice at atmospheric pressure goes straight from solid form to gas form. This is called sublimation.
Some use dry ice; some use gel packs. End result is still the same when the UPS guy has trashed the box: Food isn't fresh.

But, hey, you win the internet today!

Old 06-22-2018, 07:02 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:

Kroger has no intention of relying on Instacart for all of its e-comm operations.

I guess you missed the part where Kroger has teamed up with Ocado to build warehouses all over the USA in order to direct-ship fresh food.

And you missed the part where Rodney McMullen said he plans to sell groceries online, direct-shipped, in every state. Obviously including states where Kroger is not currently operating.

The question will be: Should I order my bananas and olive oil from Walmart, Safeway, Kroger, Amazon, Target, or myriad other options online. The other question is: Will Publix offer direct fulfillment as well?

Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Great points.

-Many stores have chosen to outsource delivery through Instacart and/or Shipt, including almighty Wegmans. Restaurants that haven't typically offered delivery do it through Uber Eats, Grubhub, Amazon Restaurants, etc. Why spend a bunch of money developing an infrastructure and hiring extra employees for something that may not work (like the "too early to market" Publix Direct) when another company can do it for you? Perhaps if/when delivery *really* blows up, they will take it in house.

-Meal kit companies need grocery stores more than grocery stores need meal kit products. People aren't subscribing over the long term and the grocers can help them attract new customers. I like the idea of a meal kit helping me to explore new recipes, but it's not something I would like as a subscription. Placing them in grocery stores allows me to get them when I want. If one of the companies strikes a deal with a store we have here in Central Florida, they are more likely to get my money than being an online-only subscription company.

-Things like Amazon Pantry, Uber Eats and Instacart are more about convenience than cost. Some are willing to pay the fees and markups to buy back an hour of their time. If you're a high powered attorney, hospital doctor, executive, successful small business owner, etc. with a spouse and 3 young children at home, then not only is the cost not an issue, but you'll more importantly appreciate the time saved not going to the grocery store, department store, restaurant if you're bringing it home, etc. That's not my lifestyle at this moment, so I just go to the grocery store.

That goes to say that there is space in the market for all of these options. I don't like this idea that because we can order stuff online, we don't need stores anymore. I remember when Amazon Prime services ceased to exist for about a week or two during Hurricane Irma.

Floridians say Amazon let them down ahead of Irma | Daily Mail Online

Stores don't need to expand their online options at the expense of their in-store experiences. You have companies like Lucky's Market who refuse to do the online thing because they are all about the in-store experience.

Home delivery may be getting more expensive, too.

With the recent ruling about sales tax can be added to on line orders, I wonder if you order a food product from a source out of Florida that taxes food in their state, will you now have to pay taxes on food items you purchase and have delivered to Florida homes?

Out of curiosity for those saying they order on line groceries and want delivery.

When you order food items on line how much do they charge for delivery if they ship UPS etc.?

And if you order all your food on line and have it delivered to your house instead of pick up in store are you buying for a single person, couple or a family of 6?

How often does it come to you damaged? I know we ship UPS and Fed X from where I work, pack it well, but still get damaged goods brought back because of delivery throwing boxes on the plane, trucks , and front porches.

Do you spend only $100 or less a week on groceries or in the $200+ category that families do? I can't imagine ever shopping on line for our groceries. Some weeks the trunk is too small and I have bags filling the back seat and front seat of our full size car. We are just 2 in the house and a son who comes to visit a couple times a week, but we do eat 3 good meals a day and do not eat out often-maybe 1 meal a week.

We work so when they deliver, the groceries would sit out in 90 degree sun until we get home after 6? There is a problem of people stealing packages on porches. Have you ever had something stolen or "get lost "in delivery? Do ants or bugs ever get inside your packages etc. ?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:11 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Home delivery may be getting more expensive, too.

With the recent ruling about sales tax can be added to on line orders, I wonder if you order a food product from a source out of Florida that taxes food in their state, will you now have to pay taxes on food items you purchase and have delivered to Florida homes?

Out of curiosity for those saying they order on line groceries and want delivery.

When you order food items on line how much do they charge for delivery if they ship UPS etc.?

And if you order all your food on line and have it delivered to your house instead of pick up in store are you buying for a single person, couple or a family of 6?

How often does it come to you damaged? I know we ship UPS and Fed X from where I work, pack it well, but still get damaged goods brought back because of delivery throwing boxes on the plane, trucks , and front porches.

Do you spend only $100 or less a week on groceries or in the $200+ category that families do? I can't imagine ever shopping on line for our groceries. Some weeks the trunk is too small and I have bags filling the back seat and front seat of our full size car. We are just 2 in the house and a son who comes to visit a couple times a week, but we do eat 3 good meals a day and do not eat out often-maybe 1 meal a week.

We work so when they deliver, the groceries would sit out in 90 degree sun until we get home after 6? There is a problem of people stealing packages on porches. Have you ever had something stolen or "get lost "in delivery? Do ants or bugs ever get inside your packages etc. ?
I have never received anything damaged, food or otherwise. And I prolly get 10 packages (food and non-food) a week.
I have never had a package stolen.
I just ordered salsa and other groceries (unavailable at Publix) from Target.com. Free shipping. Low prices.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM

330 posts, read 249,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
You said that when you posted under the name Lance Cartwright.

BTW, say hi to Xia Ping for me. Lol
LOL. It does seem like Xia King is creating multiple handles to troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida