Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:14 AM

676 posts, read 722,008 times

Advertisements

South Florida isn't one of them, for sure. Any suggestions? I'm an older widow, with no family nearby. So friendliness is important to me. Senior friendly, low crime, low cost of living. And did I mention friendly? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:14 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
The happiest place in the world is Walt Disney World. Friendliness depends on you. Wherever you go there are you. No one knows of a friendly place, but yeah south Florida is not the friendliest it's more of a northeast vibe where people keep to themselves. Other parts might be friendlier but it depends on factors such as your party affiliation, how much money you have and your race or ethnicity.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:15 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Friendly is very relative, I've lived in a lot of places including South Florida (Boca Raton) and met a lot of friendly people.

Generally speaking, if you are proactively friendly and have a personalty that is likeable, you'll never have to worry about things like this. Of course there are areas that are more friendly than other generally speaking, but still... I really would focus on finding a place you like a lot vs "friendly" people. I live in Orlando right now and I find the people here to be quite friendly, drivers not so much, but neighbors, random people, etc are friendly, but like I said, any place can seem unfriendly if you aren't pleasant to be around FIRST.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:24 PM

I'm very pleasant to be around and very likeable. I've met friendly people but the vibe is unfriendly. I'm from the poconos and people,wave who don't even know you.

Feeling very lonely and missing my husband. Friday will be a year he's gone. I've had to make changes because, although he was a hard working man, he didn't plan for the future. I had to leave the north and settled in SE florida. We had a home in those two places I had to chose one because I couldn't financially hold the two of them. I chose SE florida because of all the activity. The winters in the poconos are brutal. But I'm originally from NY. I left my job because my husband became ill. Too much change too fast.

Thanks for your replies. To be honest I really don't know,what I want at this point. Have a great day.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:27 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I'm very pleasant to be around and very likeable. I've met friendly people but the vibe is unfriendly. I'm from the poconos and people,wave who don't even know you.

Feeling very lonely and missing my husband. Friday will be a year he's gone. I've had to make changes because, although he was a hard working man, he didn't plan for the future. I had to leave the north and settled in SE florida. We had a home in those two places I had to chose one because I couldn't financially hold the two of them. I chose SE florida because of all the activity. The winters in the poconos are brutal. But I'm originally from NY. I left my job because my husband became ill. Too much change too fast.

Thanks for your replies. To be honest I really don't know,what I want at this point. Have a great day.

Finding out what you want will do you more good than looking for "friendly" cities as any city can be friendly or unfriendly... You can live in a neighborhood in a "friendly" city that is very unfriendly and vice versa.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:32 PM

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Thanks.
It's hard to make friends when you are older. Even over 40 it's hard. Try to join a senior organization. Or if you want someone to wave at you wave at them first. People are friendlier on the SW coast of Florida, but it's still hard to make friends. People who make friends easily are already stretched out with a lot of friends and it's hard to break into their circle. I'm a bit of a loner anyway. I have 2 dogs as friends I like spending time with them, and hate leaving them, and they hate when I leave too.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:39 PM

27,226 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
South Florida isn't one of them, for sure. Any suggestions? I'm an older widow, with no family nearby. So friendliness is important to me. Senior friendly, low crime, low cost of living. And did I mention friendly? Thanks.
As already mentioned SW FL and other places along the Gulf Coast seem friendlier from my experiences as well which I attribute to a transplant base more from the Midwest than the Northeast US, which is obviously more the case in SE FL. You might check out places like Englewood, Punta Gorda or Venice if looking for senior friendly, low crime and a lower cost of living than SE FL.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
I would say S. FL, the Miami metro area down to Key West.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida