Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 PM

90 posts, read 92,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Well he was just trying to make sense of you. No one spends thousands moving (and the aggravation) for diversity.

We just want to know what's really going on, not the fake reason you gave for the move.
You may want to read my post in it’s its entirety. I said there are other reasons as well. People don’t have to tell you every detail of their life just so you can make a determination on why someone decides to move. I lived in Youngstown for a couple years, before moving to Maryland, and then spent most of my time in CT. During the time I lived in Youngstown , I pretty much stayed around that area. I was too young to drive so I couldn’t just go explore areas of FL, hence why I am asking for suggestions. I welcome and appreciate people’s suggestions, but what I don’t need is people who reply with non relevant comments. If you have any suggestions based on my original post, I’ll appreciate it, if not, please keep it moving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:06 AM

413 posts, read 301,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
And Austin isn't???
I don't kow. I live in Florida and made the suggestion because Florida is full. Maybe Austin has more room and needs more people. You look like you can speak for your city..Austin Traveler.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:34 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
But he said he wants opinions on areas to look so THEN he can find jobs
Unless he’s independently wealthy, it’s not a good idea to move to Florida without a job lined up first.
Especially because his background’s in manufacturing.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 AM

330 posts, read 249,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
it’s not a good idea to move to Florida without a job lined up first.
Someone tell that to the Puerto Ricans then.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Someone tell that to the Puerto Ricans then.
A lot of them really don't have a choice.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:33 AM

330 posts, read 249,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A lot of them really don't have a choice.
Yeah they do. They could have gone to other states with better jobs.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
Hello Everyone,

My family and I currently live in Charleston, SC. Some people may say we're crazy, but we can't stand it here. Charleston itself is nice. If you're into history, its great, and the beaches are ok, but nothing to write home about. That being said, we need to leave. There is zero diversity here. Along with other reasons, we have decided to move. Now here is the question...Where in FL should we move to? We would like to stay in any of the following areas: Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, and Ft. Lauderdale. I'd like to narrow down the areas, so we can focus on trying to find jobs before moving down. The number one important thing that we want is a safe neighborhood and great public schools. Don't really want to spend any more than 350k on a home. We have an almost 4 year old, and a 6 month old. We're looking to stay in this future home for quite a while, at least until the kids hopefully go off to college. We do like being close to the water, but also like the feel of Orlando. My wife works in health care, and I have a manufacturing quality manager background. Where should we move to? Please help! TIA
Well I know a little about Charleston, if you are moving because of traffic the locations you are looking at will have a lot of traffic as well. I would say, take a look at where jobs are (your wife shouldn't have too much of an issue in any major area) and then make a visit to each area and take a look at traffic and any other issues you are concerned about. Personally, I like the east central coast where traffic is not as bad however, manufacturing jobs are probably slim. If you could be a little more specific about what you mean by diversity (I think Charleston is probably much more diverse than a lot of the south) then maybe someone can tell you where you might look.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:30 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Yeah they do. They could have gone to other states with better jobs.
It's the state that's closest to PR.
It already has a significant PR population, and they likely have family/friends here already.
The use of Spanish here is very prominent.

It makes the most sense. The only other realistic option would be NYC.

And what are these "better jobs" that other states will offer them that aren't available here?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
One need only look at Florida boards to see the vast number of people who only know they want to move to Florida, but, have no clue where or what they will do when they get here (Except, they all want good schools, reasonably priced safe housing near to the beach and amenities, with good job opportunities, etc).

Let me ask, "Would you simply pack-up and move anywhere else ... without a clear job or income prospect/s?" If you do not intend to work in Florida, almost anywhere will do. If you do intend to work (as indicated by stipulating your job fields in your OP), you certainly would not work in Jacksonville, but, live five-hundred miles away in Miami!

Check out the demographics of Florida - There are about eight major (widespread) cities, all of which offer areas that have what you are seeking. Then, at least start pursuing employment opportunities with firms/organizations in your area that may have connections in Florida. If, like many, you simply decide to move down and hope for the best, you will likely join those who move back where they came from (at least they had a support network there). If you are looking for real jobs in healthcare and manufacturing (mostly lite manufacturing in Florida), at least find ONE job first!

(BTW, we moved to Florida almost 46-years ago (and never went back) ... Even then, the family and job/income requirement dictated where we lived. We've since moved three times within Florida, but, always with a job first.)

Old 07-03-2018, 10:45 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,568 times
Dont move to FL. We made this horrid mistake... Tampa is a total snooze fest. I wont go on because iM sure to offend many people. But let just say it was the worst decision we made by far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida