Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 35,630 times

Advertisements

Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM

29 posts, read 106,997 times
Default I like the heat better

I have never lived in Florida, but have lived in the Northeast my whole life, moving further North 12 years ago and I am ready for FL. I am at a point where I know the heat would make me happier and am actually looking to move to Florida within the next year.

My parents lived in SW Florida and I was there in August and didn't complain once about the heat. Most people here think I am crazy for wanting to move where it is so hot. I agree with you about the dark days and depression and am tired of being stuck indoors in the winter because once I am home I do not want to bundle up and go out to start the car. Also, if I never have to drive in a snow storm or ice storm I would be the happiest person on earth.

Of course it is a matter of personal choice, but as my father says, "life is much easier in warmer weather." I can't wait to move to a warmer climate myself.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM

39 posts, read 168,874 times
I look at it this way. Do things close down in the summer in Florida. Lots of of places close in the northeast during winter. Stores, hotels, restraunts and amusement parks in certain areas close for the winter. Are their lines at Disney in july? yes. Are their lines at six flags in ny and ma. in december? No there closed. I can't say i wouldn't get sick of the heat every day but when it's 90 in july and August i'm out enjoying it as much as i can.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
sunnygurl come home, the humidity? we have AC! and beaches and sunshine!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM

40 posts, read 64,889 times
Someone told me the other day that I should stay in the Northeast b/c "with global warming," winter will eventually disappear from the Northeast. I am not buying it. Although people in Fla. DO SAY that it seems hotter now there than 10-15 years ago.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,297 times
I wouldn't mind the north if we truly had 4 seasons that were divided equally. But the reality is that spring and fall begin and end so fast that you don't get to really enjoy the foliage, or the warming or cooling days. Instead we go right into a hot, hot summer, or a freezing, gray winter. And out of all of the seasons, winter weather hangs around the longest, getting cold and dreary from early November to almost halfway through April. Even when it warms up slightly in April as is happening now, the days are still dreary. Last year I went to a Phillies game the end of April wearing a winter coat and freezing in the stands. That is why my dream move to Florida became a reality.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM

16 posts, read 35,630 times
Margel, that makes a lot of sense. I have noticed that we do go from extreme cold/dreary to extreme heat and there is really no good season anymore. Whereas in Florida, from November to April you get A LOT of really nice, mild, sunny weather. A long stretch of gorgeous. We never get that in the Northeast. We get a week or two of gorgeous in the fall, and a week or two of gorgeous in the spring, and that's IT. The rest of the time it's freezing or hot.

Although I guess that the summers in Maine are exquisite............but there you pay a heavy price for those summers.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,070 times
Well as I write this its snowing, and it has been all morning. And I haven't been able to go out and do a darn thing again..because they aren't clearing the roads, plus that means I have to go heat up the car for 5 mins at least.. Oh there's no sun, and its cold.. again.. Its soooo uplifting

I agree with Margel, the spring and autumn go so fast and summer is here and gone instantly but it seems like winter just drags.. And so far we haven't even had a Spring its April tomorrow and there is still snow on the ground and coming down steady.. Its been snowing since before Thanksgiving and it was cool at first, but enough is enough..
I can now look foward to a dreary grey April,, those showers best be bringin May flowers..

I just prefer the warmth, I can get in my car and go, I don't have to layer till I can't move and still be cold. My car isn't beaten to he** with salt,sand, and endless potholes and I can enjoy my life year round in Fla.. A/C is cheaper to run than heating my house with gas and I don't have to sleep with a bed warmer on or sweaters or pants then mid night wake up cause I'm burning up. Even my dog sleeps with a sweater on

Besides after 135 inches of snow this year I doubt global warming is happening any time soon so in that case I'm going where it feels like it began 10 years ago.. You can always hop in a store to cool off and look around if ya get too hot.. I was just down in Naples for 2 weeks and the weather was AMAZING.. I forgot how nice it is in the winter.. I could open the windows and let the breeze in.. I've been breathing the same stale air in my house now since October and can't wait till I can let some fresh air in... Not anytime soon it looks like though.. I was an idiot for leaving a good thing

Old 03-31-2008, 11:59 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,647 times
Depends where up north. I wouldn't want to live in any of the rust belt states or anything north of Connecticut, but for me, West Central and South Western Connecticut I prefer better than down here in Central Florida. South Eastern Westchester County New York would be fine for me as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
I don't really have a lot to compare it to since I'm a native Floridian and have lived in SW Florida my whole life. I've never even seen snow! I've traveled all over, it's just always been in the summertime.

I would say I'm pretty happy living in Florida and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I think it might be nice to have a summer house up north somewhere though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida