U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Fl (SoHo/Hyde Park)
1,335 posts, read 4,367,186 times
Reputation: 1013

Advertisements

Florida stands to lose $1 billion because of Lehman Brothers' collapse - St. Petersburg Times

the state is a fiscal nightmare. As the actual accounting is done on the economic collapse more realities will be discovered. Services are starting to disappear overnight. The state better start raising massive revenues or the next decade could be a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,490,121 times
Reputation: 13016
If they got rid of the Save Our homes property tax initiatives and taxed people on what their house is worth now, not 20 years ago, they'd have all the money they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
 
5,969 posts, read 7,724,361 times
Reputation: 1614
They need to institute a state tax. There is no other solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,763,988 times
Reputation: 4900
Cut government to what people can afford. Raising taxes in this economy will be political suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,903,835 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they got rid of the Save Our homes property tax initiatives and taxed people on what their house is worth now, not 20 years ago, they'd have all the money they need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
They need to institute a state tax. There is no other solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Cut government to what people can afford. Raising taxes in this economy will be political suicide.
There is no need to remove the SOH nor institute a state tax.

Cut wasteful government spending and we should be able to reduce taxes not raise them.

There is no need for the Supervisor of Elections for my county to make over $100,000 a year nor the commissioners to make $60,000. Just eliminating useless jobs would bring the budget down to where it needs to be. After that we could eliminate the usless programs and get budget down to an more acceptable level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,796,581 times
Reputation: 645
I agree with you Mike but it seems like the nature of human society and government to have this kind of waste. Create an income tax but keep it low to ease the shock on people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There is no need to remove the SOH nor institute a state tax.

Cut wasteful government spending and we should be able to reduce taxes not raise them.

There is no need for the Supervisor of Elections for my county to make over $100,000 a year nor the commissioners to make $60,000. Just eliminating useless jobs would bring the budget down to where it needs to be. After that we could eliminate the usless programs and get budget down to an more acceptable level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,657,528 times
Reputation: 8567
Why should we create an income tax? We have way less budget deficit than places like NY and CA, BOTH of which have HIGH income tax rates (in addition to other fees and tax rates)... so an "income tax" is merely more fuel to the government's wasteful ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,763,988 times
Reputation: 4900
Anyone who supports more taxes is a gullible fool. Unfortunately, Florida now has an abundance of Floridiots. Cutting government is always a good thing although it has never been tried in our lifetimes. Every government expense is a drain on the economy as government is inherently parasitic. The trick is to limit government expenditures to the values of the services they provide to people who can afford them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,490,121 times
Reputation: 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why should we create an income tax? We have way less budget deficit than places like NY and CA, BOTH of which have HIGH income tax rates (in addition to other fees and tax rates)... so an "income tax" is merely more fuel to the government's wasteful ways.
Because there is plenty of money to be made on property taxes if they were computed in an equitable manner. Instead we have this ridiculous system where people are living in million dollar homes paying $2500 a year in property taxes while people in $250K homes are paying the same amount simply because one moved in 10 years before the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Florida
479 posts, read 1,307,754 times
Reputation: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Cut government to what people can afford. Raising taxes in this economy will be political suicide.
Thank you! I was wondering if anyone would suggest cutting something instead of raising taxes. They're already raising taxes but calling it "fees" in many ways.

And our homes are worth about what they were in 2003 or earlier so I don't see how changing the property tax would help any.

Besides that, when I continue to see the waste in State government, county government, and even city government, I can only think they need to cut a bunch of administrative/management positions before expecting the regular taxpayer to support their top-heavy departments.

Last edited by ACTS Mom; 06-05-2009 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: county not country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top