Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times

Advertisements

oh god -have you never been so cold that your fingers and toes hurt ? I know what i would prefer 6 months of winter in the Uk -never going above 50 degress , endless days of grey skies, rain, frost (ice) (and not in your drink !!) even snow ........or Floridian sun...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok-- SUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

19 days to go...and counting

Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
oh god -have you never been so cold that your fingers and toes hurt ? I know what i would prefer 6 months of winter in the Uk -never going above 50 degress , endless days of grey skies, rain, frost (ice) (and not in your drink !!) even snow ........or Floridian sun...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok-- SUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

19 days to go...and counting
hey I'm that cold right now! My fingers are a bit bluish from being outside...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I don't really have a lot to compare it to since I'm a native Floridian and have lived in SW Florida my whole life. I've never even seen snow! I've traveled all over, it's just always been in the summertime.

I would say I'm pretty happy living in Florida and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I think it might be nice to have a summer house up north somewhere though.
Ill tell you what those snowbirds have the right idea.. summer up north winter down south.. ugh I wish I could have invented that one! I would be rich!!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM

29 posts, read 107,025 times
OK, so everyone agrees on sunshine and warmer weather - but how does one get a job that they can support themselves on? I am planning on moving to Florida because I am also tired of freezing (and my parents are going back and I worry about them) - but I am a bit nervous because I keep hearing that the job market in Florida is not so great. I have a college degree but sometimes wonder if I should just stay where I am - even though I am miserable.

For those of you who live there - is it really a scary job market?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:34 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
What do you have a degree in? You hear it over and over on the board-you get paid in smiles and sunshine. I really don't know what the pay scale is up north but I hear they pay better than down here depending on what your profession is. If you wanted to live more modestly than maybe it would be a good trade off. From what I understand the job market is not great anywhere now.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM

493 posts, read 637,323 times
Surely the heat in coastal florida can't be as bad as inland texas or houston for that matter...while miami is hotter than san diego...surely the ocean produces a moderating effect

Old 03-31-2008, 02:58 PM

29 posts, read 107,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
What do you have a degree in? You hear it over and over on the board-you get paid in smiles and sunshine. I really don't know what the pay scale is up north but I hear they pay better than down here depending on what your profession is. If you wanted to live more modestly than maybe it would be a good trade off. From what I understand the job market is not great anywhere now.
I have a BS in Corporate Communications. I worked full-time and went to school part-time to get my degree. I currently work in a college - which isn't great pay - but since I have been here for over 12 years it is a living. I live in a collegetown and the pay around here isn't great and the cost of living in this county is pretty high because of the colleges. Right now, I do live modestly - I am not an extravagant person by any means. I just don't want to struggle to eat. I think around here I spend more money in the winter because there is nothing to do except shop, movies, and out to eat. I would love to be able to just be outside.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstocksnoopy View Post
OK, so everyone agrees on sunshine and warmer weather - but how does one get a job that they can support themselves on? I am planning on moving to Florida because I am also tired of freezing (and my parents are going back and I worry about them) - but I am a bit nervous because I keep hearing that the job market in Florida is not so great. I have a college degree but sometimes wonder if I should just stay where I am - even though I am miserable.

For those of you who live there - is it really a scary job market?
The key is to have a job and have sufficient $$$ to support your needs. First step is a job, second housing, etc....

Old 03-31-2008, 03:19 PM

44 posts, read 158,212 times
the idea of a hot, sunny winter thrills me!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirl View Post
the idea of a hot, sunny winter thrills me!
That is the primary reason many relocated to Florida....

No = http://bestsmileys.com/winter/14.gif (broken link) Yes = http://bestsmileys.com/sun/3.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida