Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:54 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times

Advertisements

I would think at least one of the witnesses, if they had observed criminally negligent or murderous driving behavior, would have blabbed to the press by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Florida crashes, injuries and deaths have been increasing greatly year-over-year.

It doesn't take too much logic to see that Florida has not addressed infrastructure (other than turning down billions for high speed rail). You simply cannot have 100's of 8 lane roads all over the place dumping into one 4 or 6 lane interstate. I-75 and many other large roads here are parking lots (I just drove that stretch last week and felt as if my life and limb were in danger many times)....

Sad to say this will continue because it takes decades to plan and build properly....and Florida is unlikely to even start because that can get in way of profits for developers, etc. (paying the real cost for development is much higher than what developers pay now....higher gas taxes are also needed, etc.)....

At this point I don't see a salvation except self-driving cars and trucks. Human, at least in states like Florida, seem unwilling to tackle big problems like this.
Auto deaths are at historic lows.

High speed rail has zero to do with this. HSR was rejected because the costs far outweighed what the feds were kicking in. last thing Florida needs is a boondoggle like what is happening in California. At that, brightline has kicked in and is privatized, providing HSR service.

The infrastructure in Florida is excellent, there is nothing wrong with that section of highway, it is straight, not even all that crowded ever. yes, I travel through there frequently. If you hit it and it was a parking lot, it was either during a holiday travel period, or there was some event to cause a back up, because other than that, it is not ever a parking lot there, hardly anyone even lives around there, it is not a large metro area. But not sure why you think your life and limb was in danger? How so if you were creeping along in this parking lot? How so if doing normal speed as it is basically a straight, flat highway?

Big problems like this have been tackled, that is why auto deaths are at historic lows. Even going by the actual numbers, there are less deaths now than 40 years ago, even though there are far more people in the US.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:57 PM

30,452 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Florida crashes, injuries and deaths have been increasing greatly year-over-year.

It doesn't take too much logic to see that Florida has not addressed infrastructure (other than turning down billions for high speed rail). You simply cannot have 100's of 8 lane roads all over the place dumping into one 4 or 6 lane interstate. I-75 and many other large roads here are parking lots (I just drove that stretch last week and felt as if my life and limb were in danger many times)....

Sad to say this will continue because it takes decades to plan and build properly....and Florida is unlikely to even start because that can get in way of profits for developers, etc. (paying the real cost for development is much higher than what developers pay now....higher gas taxes are also needed, etc.)....

At this point I don't see a salvation except self-driving cars and trucks. Human, at least in states like Florida, seem unwilling to tackle big problems like this.
They day i give up my Vette brettt is the day i die.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Auto deaths are at historic lows.

The infrastructure in Florida is excellent, there is nothing wrong with that section of highway, it is straight, not even all that crowded ever. yes, I travel through there frequently. If you hit it and it was a parking lot, it was either during a holiday travel period, or there was some event to cause a back up, because other than that, it is not ever a parking lot there, hardly anyone even lives around there, it is not a large metro area. But not sure why you think your life and limb was in danger? How so if you were creeping along in this parking lot? How so if doing normal speed as it is basically a straight, flat highway?

Big problems like this have been tackled, that is why auto deaths are at historic lows. Even going by the actual numbers, there are less deaths now than 40 years ago, even though there are far more people in the US.
Apparently you need to read the Florida DMV site.

https://www.dmvflorida.org/state-of-florida/crash-data/

"2014 - 581,090 drivers involved in crashes
2015 - 630,550 drivers involved in crashes
2016 - 668,699 drivers involved in crashes"

hmmm...by my count that is almost 100K MORE drivers involved in crashes in two years. I think we can make a safe assumption that they haven't gone down.

2014 - 2,494 fatalities in 2,336 fatal accidents
2015 - 2,939 fatalities in 2,699 fatal accidents
2016 - 3,176 fatalities in 2,935 fatal accidents

Again, a vast increase in two years.

You seem to be taking credit for other states where the figures are as little as 1/2 of what Florida has. Given that Florida is flat, has no ice and not as many teens you'd think the stats would be much better than many states. Yet they are as bad or worse....

You say things are getting better? Again, please keep up...
"35,092 people died in car-related accidents in the U.S. in 2015 — a 7.2 percent increase in traffic deaths from 2014."

That's a VAST increase for one year.

Safest state in the USA? MA. - with ice, rain, snow, sleet, hills, mountains.....about 6 deaths per 100,000
Florida - "Average Fatalities in a Year (per 100,000): 16.00"

6 vs. 16.

I'm glad my post was answered because it makes it clear that people don't understand the problem. They accept "human sacrifice" as just part of life even though it is proven it could easily be cut in 1/2 or more...and Florida would still be behind many states.

As to the basic logic of vast numbers of 6 and 8 lane roads all dumping into one 6 lane one.....loaded with trucks (again, fewer trains in Florida to move those goods, so trucks are needed).... I'll let each reader decide that for themselves. One only need to look at SE Florida and the tangle of roads there to see where it leads.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,226,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Wow, that was a bad one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/7-...D=ansmsnnews11

Being investigated as a homicide. Hmmm. Why would that be?

"Emergency crews extinguished the fire and said they were treating the crash as a homicide investigation, but didn't say why. The fire was so intense that authorities said it damaged parts of the road."

That's a bad stretch of road, as I recall.
Anytime someone kills another person, it's homicide. Not every homicide is murder, but every murder is homicide.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:35 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,203,395 times
Quote:
I-75 is known as the "Highway of Death" all throughout North Central Florida from Gainesville through Ocala right until the fork in the road where I-75 and the Turnpike splits. Not only do you have 6 lanes of heavy out of state tourist traffic as the primary route to Orlando from much of the South and MidWest, it also has extensive trucking and commerical freight traffic daily. Also, there is local commuter traffic from Gainesville and Ocala as the only Interstate in North Central Florida where 650,000+ people live.

It's so bad that study after study after study has been conducted to add lanes or create new bypasses or highways for the area but the local governments keep squashing those expansion plans. Most recently, Marion County killed one plan because of the horse farms in the area.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I-75 is known as the "Highway of Death" all throughout North Central Florida from Gainesville through Ocala right until the fork in the road where I-75 and the Turnpike splits. Not only do you have 6 lanes of heavy out of state tourist traffic as the primary route to Orlando from much of the South and MidWest, it also has extensive trucking and commerical freight traffic daily. Also, there is local commuter traffic from Gainesville and Ocala as the only Interstate in North Central Florida where 650,000+ people live.

It's so bad that study after study after study has been conducted to add lanes or create new bypasses or highways for the area but the local governments keep squashing those expansion plans. Most recently, Marion County killed one plan because of the horse farms in the area.
Thanks for the info, logy. I avoid that stretch of road.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Anytime someone kills another person, it's homicide. Not every homicide is murder, but every murder is homicide.
Thank you, TF. I didn't realize how complicated the distinctions are.

https://murphylawoffice.org/john-mur...slaughter.html

Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Apparently you need to read the Florida DMV site.

https://www.dmvflorida.org/state-of-florida/crash-data/

"2014 - 581,090 drivers involved in crashes
2015 - 630,550 drivers involved in crashes
2016 - 668,699 drivers involved in crashes"

hmmm...by my count that is almost 100K MORE drivers involved in crashes in two years. I think we can make a safe assumption that they haven't gone down.

2014 - 2,494 fatalities in 2,336 fatal accidents
2015 - 2,939 fatalities in 2,699 fatal accidents
2016 - 3,176 fatalities in 2,935 fatal accidents

Again, a vast increase in two years.

You seem to be taking credit for other states where the figures are as little as 1/2 of what Florida has. Given that Florida is flat, has no ice and not as many teens you'd think the stats would be much better than many states. Yet they are as bad or worse....

You say things are getting better? Again, please keep up...
"35,092 people died in car-related accidents in the U.S. in 2015 — a 7.2 percent increase in traffic deaths from 2014."

That's a VAST increase for one year.

Safest state in the USA? MA. - with ice, rain, snow, sleet, hills, mountains.....about 6 deaths per 100,000
Florida - "Average Fatalities in a Year (per 100,000): 16.00"

6 vs. 16.

I'm glad my post was answered because it makes it clear that people don't understand the problem. They accept "human sacrifice" as just part of life even though it is proven it could easily be cut in 1/2 or more...and Florida would still be behind many states.

As to the basic logic of vast numbers of 6 and 8 lane roads all dumping into one 6 lane one.....loaded with trucks (again, fewer trains in Florida to move those goods, so trucks are needed).... I'll let each reader decide that for themselves. One only need to look at SE Florida and the tangle of roads there to see where it leads.
Wow, a whopping 100k accidents, yet Florida added nearly a million people in population during that time, in 2016 alone, there was a population increase of 367k people. Sure, the rate went up, but the overall trend is still going down.

You took a whopping three year snapshot, hardly demonstrates any trends.

Yes, there was an increase in traffic deaths, yet when we compare to 1978, in 1978 there were 50k deaths from auto accidents, yet the population was only 222 million, that is over 15k more deaths with over 100 million less people. Yet you seriously think traffic deaths are not on a declining tread? Oh yes, you cherry pick a snapshot date and declare that the trend, conveniently ignoring any other data. The fatality rate per 100k people has fallen over 50% in the last 40 years, but according to you, things are getting worse, lol. Wow. And we did not even address the huge number of tourists that travel to and throughout Florida each year, easily exceeding Massachusetts by a long shot.

Here is a chart even demonstrating, going back to the late 90's, the overall all trend is going down in Florida;

FLHealthCHARTS Data Viewer

But hey, run around thinking the sky is falling, and everything, USA, the world, is just getting worse and worse by the day, lol.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post

I-75 does not even broach the top 25 most deadliest highways in the US, stretches of I-4 and I-95 even do that. But of course a lot of measures are just the number of deaths, not a rate of deaths per number of cars/people traveling. I-4 for example ranks first for deaths, but it is also the busiest tin the country, or one of the busiest highways.

I have never heard of that stretch of 75 being called that, and my family has been in the area since the early 1900's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida