Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How is helping to eliminate a trashed environment running the state into the ground? If anything the GOP-controlled state government is what has been running the state into the ground via lifted protections which have created very evident issues with our ecosystem resulting in increased algae blooms/fish and wildlife kills plus contaminated water in the aquifer. Heck they even seem thrilled with littering, given Rick Scott signed a bill in 2016 to counter local ordinances banning the use of styrofoam/polystyrene products in food service because they don't breakdown or decompose if not properly disposed of.
I'm one of the few staunch conservatives I know who gives a crap about our environment. It pains me to see everything from roadsides to beaches to mountain trails strewn with litter.

At least with a monetary incentive you'll have bums scour the roadways picking up bottles and cans, perhaps if only to buy a certain kind bottle with the cash. Obama's people are the by far the worst offenders when it comes to littering, but Trailer-Trash aren't much better, and Florida is ripe with both. Sad, but everyone knows that that's the reality.

I don't know why GOP politicians are so anti-environment. Do they really think that implementing environmental laws is somehow anti-business or anti-personal-choice? People and businesses will adapt.

If we get a positive reinforcement cycle going of people keeping the land clean then that alone will be an incentive to continue. But if you are used to seeing trash then there's not much to mentally deter lowlifes from littering, and that creates the downward reinforcement cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I pay a non-ad valorem assessment on my yearly taxes in the amount of $159.48 and called 'solid waste service'. It includes pick up of all recycle materials every Tuesday morning. There is no need for me to pay 20 cents extra on a 2 liter plastic bottle of Pepsi that I would have to carry back to Publix.
btw- how much credit will be returned on my $159.48 on bottles that Waste Management will no longer get from me? To us, placing plastic, glass, metal cans in a blue bin is garbage. To Waste Management, it's a resource they sell.
We pay about the same for county trash pickup. In Virginia trash pickup is private and we paid $69 a month for twice a week pickup. So at a $160 a year we are getting a bargin on trash service. That doen't have anything to do with a bottle deposit since a bottle wouldn't be considered waste. I could say somethIng equally valid like - I like the color green so why have a bottle deoposit.

You don't have to take the bottle back, you can probably leave it by the curb and someone will do it for you. IIf you buy less pepsi to avoid wasting money on deposits you may find you are healthier. A wiin -win.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
A bottle and can deposit is another great way to get more from tourists. Tourists are less likely than residents to cash in cans and bottles. Every bottle or can that a local cashes in from a tourist is a gain for Florida.

Plastic is an ocean polutant that doesn't go away. A depoist will help keep more plastic out of the ocean than not having a deposit.

In neighborhoods where folks like to throw their squashed beer cans in their yard or street, a deposit will change the neighborhood from a trashy area into a resource.

Everyone benefits by a deposit. If folks are too lazy to get their deposit back, the world wiill still be better because they will have less money and thus create less plastic/glass/aluminum trash.
I’m curious how this would work near the state line. Could people collect bottles in GA and AL and collect deposits in FL? How would they know where the bottles came from?

Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I'm one of the few staunch conservatives I know who gives a crap about our environment. It pains me to see everything from roadsides to beaches to mountain trails strewn with litter.

At least with a monetary incentive you'll have bums scour the roadways picking up bottles and cans, perhaps if only to buy a certain kind bottle with the cash. Obama's people are the by far the worst offenders when it comes to littering, but Trailer-Trash aren't much better, and Florida is ripe with both. Sad, but everyone knows that that's the reality.

I don't know why GOP politicians are so anti-environment. Do they really think that implementing environmental laws is somehow anti-business or anti-personal-choice? People and businesses will adapt.

If we get a positive reinforcement cycle going of people keeping the land clean then that alone will be an incentive to continue. But if you are used to seeing trash then there's not much to mentally deter lowlifes from littering, and that creates the downward reinforcement cycle.
Well said.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:24 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post

It's a combination of fear of not getting re-elected by being pro-environment, combined with the fact that these politicians see a huge influx of campaign contributions from the very companies who pollute the planet.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Spend a couple weeks traveling around Californi and see if the bottle incentives resulted in clean streets and parks. Realility is they are some of the most littered parks and streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida