Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelar75 View Post
All I keep hearing is about low pay in Florida, is anyone from NY(or other big cities) happy with their salary?

Yes - but my situation is unusual, and I don't live near the water or in a tourist area, so the cost of living here is slightly lower. Overall salaries in Florida do not really compete with much of the rest of the country, especially when you take the cost of living into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 01:32 PM

56 posts, read 166,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
My annual salary is 10% less than what it was in NY. After taxes and other deductions, my paycheck is about the same. However, my benefits are A LOT better here in Fl.

Cheaper: Gas and entertainment
More expensive: Rent, car insurance, and food. (still haven't figured out why OJ from florida oranges is cheaper in NY than at publix....)

Overall quality of life is improved for around the same cost.

How is your rent less? Where did you live in NY, and where do you live now?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
my husband was happy with his salary in Fla ( a bit over $20 an hour supervisor 911 dispatcher) before we left, we moved up north and for him being a cop took a paycut of almost 3 dollars. At the time it seemed right because the housing is cheaper, but overall its more expenisve to live up north. Our rent is more but our apartment is 2 bedrooms less and almost 1000 sqft smaller, we are paying almost $400 a month in gas to heat the small apt (about $40 a week) etc so that all adds up fast when you're paying more. When we go back he'll be making almost as much as he was when we left, just a slight slight difference

Old 04-11-2008, 03:29 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,543 times
Quote:
How is your rent less? Where did you live in NY, and where do you live now?
I'm sorry I didn't clarify. My place in NY was a hole in the wall. Where I live now in Miami is a different class. I'd probably be paying over 2x the amount for my place now if it was in NY.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM

39 posts, read 371,097 times
I am very happy and blessed with what I make. I thank God everyday.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 49,515 times
Great Info, I am considering a move to Tallahassee, FL. Does anyone have any info about that area. I am living in Prescott, AZ right now. It was a green mile high mountain town years ago but is becoming a mini-city, dust bowl and the economy is awful. I want to get back to the ocean. I am a nursing assistant and taking pre-reqs for nursing school. Info on salaries and housing and if beaches are nice. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
All I keep hearing is about low pay in Florida, is anyone from NY(or other big cities) happy with their salary?
from NYC and nope not happy. i literally make half of what i should.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
How can anyone live on this? That's only 20,800.00 a year before taxes! It will not even pay rent on a tiny apartment in south Florida. It costs more just to drive to work!
I don't drive...but actually I made closer to 24K.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:55 PM

96 posts, read 344,660 times
I can't complain. I work in IT, about 10 mins away from home and 6 figures to boot. The answer really depends on which field you work in and if it is paying you to have a good quality of life. IT pays pretty well down here and there are still good jobs in this sector. The real estate madness really skewed things down here for a while and everyone suffered with high taxes, etc. Hopefully, we can now get to a good balance.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:27 PM

56 posts, read 166,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivcceo View Post
I can't complain. I work in IT, about 10 mins away from home and 6 figures to boot. The answer really depends on which field you work in and if it is paying you to have a good quality of life. IT pays pretty well down here and there are still good jobs in this sector. The real estate madness really skewed things down here for a while and everyone suffered with high taxes, etc. Hopefully, we can now get to a good balance.
My husband is a mortgage broker, before the whole mortgage slump he was making 120 now hes making around 80. I work in mental health. I,m a supervisor at a residental house for schizophrenia adults,and I make about 35. Are salarys just don't cut it in Long Island,so we are looking to move,but if salarys are that bad there we might be in the same position in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida