Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 18,634 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

I am currently evaluating a job offer that involves working in Miami. I have some flexibility in where to live since I will do about 75% traveling. I am married with two children in school. One in HS. The most important thing for us is a good private school for them. I would not mind comuting one hour to work as long as they are OK. Where to move to?

Thanks

nrikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,938,593 times
If you are going to put them in private school, just look into Coral Gables and be near the best private schools without a severe commute.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Compelled,

I have been reading some of your post. You look like someone who knows the area. I appreciate you candor. Coral Gables is too high $$ for me. Like I said I would not mind the drive so I was looking a bit further north and avoiding the potential problem areas. Ideas?

Old 04-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Maybe Miami Shores? Very charming community, older homes, sense of community, tree shaded streets, however it's close to bad areas...

It's just hard for me to justify a commute from Broward in your shoes in the era of increasing gas prices...however you could look into west Pembroke Pines. I would say Weston, west half of Davie or Cooper City but you are paying for the reputation of the public school districts there, which you don't need. West Pines is very fresh and new and far from any bad areas for a little less than Weston. However, the proximity to private schools there will be a challenge. Weston and Davie are closer to American Heritage and Sagemont and Cooper City is closer to Archbishop McCarthy HS and religious elementary schools.

However, are your kids in private or public schools in Mississippi? If they are in public there, I wouldn't fear the public schools here! (In Dade I would but not the areas I named in Broward).

Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM

Very true my friend and a valid point. I believe I probably will be out three weeks a month. So maybe not too bad.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrikki View Post
Very true my friend and a valid point. I believe I probably will be out three weeks a month. So maybe not too bad.
That's not too bad. That increases your flexibility a lot I think. Also look into Plantation or WEST Sunrise (chiefly near Sawgrass Mills close to Am. Heritage). Maybe even Coral Springs or Parkland.

PS I updated my post above.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Private and not much there either. thats the main reason for the move. My oldest will be a soph next year. He tells me that the seniors leave at noon 'cause they dont have any electives available.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 PM

I drive 45 mins to work now and we are 30 minutes from school.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrikki View Post
Private and not much there either. thats the main reason for the move. My oldest will be a soph next year. He tells me that the seniors leave at noon 'cause they dont have any electives available.
Well I have heard mixed things about Am. Heritage but when you see their electives your jaws will drop. They have a mock courtroom and one of our locally famous public defenders (he has his own TV segment on the news "Help Me Howard") is an instructor.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM

OMG you are Right!! along with a 25K tuition tab lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida