Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do Northerners move to Florida usually and not vice versa?
The COL/taxes are lower, even after paying for hurricane/sinkhole insurance and high sales taxes. 16 33.33%
Because blizzards and the cold are even worse than hurricanes and humidity. 32 66.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 12:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,976,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That assertion is false. Most people who live in Texas were either born in Texas or a foreign country. Here is the statistical breakdown:
  • 82% of people who were born in Texas still live in Texas.
  • 61% of current Texas residents were born in Texas.
  • 17% of Texas residents were born outside of the United States.
As you may observe from the map reflected on the second webpage cited below, 70-80% of residents in most Texas counties were born in Texas. Even in Harris County (Houston), which is the third most populous county in the United States with nearly five million residents, 50-60% of the local population was born in the state of Texas. That is an incredible statistic, IMO, especially for a major Sun Belt city/county.

By comparison, Florida doesn't even register.

Sources:
Interesting. How is that possible, though, with Texas having such a high positive net domestic migration rate? For two decades Californians have poured into Texas.

I think it was the same NYT article that said California, if you excluded immigrants, had a high percentage of adults who were born in state, which makes sense if you realize that California has a negative net domestic migration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 12:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,881,322 times
Between the state government and the hurricanes, we're planning on not staying in Florida for retirement, and right now have a short list of Denver and Fort Collins, Colorado and greater Portland, Oregon. (Boulder would also be nice but we don't have Boulder money) I'm lobbying for Tucson to be included for consideration but the Spousal Unit thinks Arizona has too many right wing whackaloons.

Not gonna live where the predominant culture celebrates treason like much of the South does, and we've ruled out a few places like Salt Lake City (air quality reasons) and the Olympic Peninsula (cost, did not love Seattle as the usual big city day trip).

Before Hurricane Michael and the thoroughly inadequate response to it, greater Tampa and Jacksonville were on the possible retirement areas list, but it's seeming like stronger hurricanes are going to become more frequent sooner than later and we just don't want to have tp deal with that on an every 4-5 year basis.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Between the state government and the hurricanes, we're planning on not staying in Florida for retirement, and right now have a short list of Denver and Fort Collins, Colorado and greater Portland, Oregon. (Boulder would also be nice but we don't have Boulder money) I'm lobbying for Tucson to be included for consideration but the Spousal Unit thinks Arizona has too many right wing whackaloons.

Not gonna live where the predominant culture celebrates treason like much of the South does, and we've ruled out a few places like Salt Lake City (air quality reasons) and the Olympic Peninsula (cost, did not love Seattle as the usual big city day trip).

Before Hurricane Michael and the thoroughly inadequate response to it, greater Tampa and Jacksonville were on the possible retirement areas list, but it's seeming like stronger hurricanes are going to become more frequent sooner than later and we just don't want to have tp deal with that on an every 4-5 year basis.
But I thought Central Florida never floods, and winds are weaker there.

Now aside from the flooding and hurricanes and other weather related disasters, do you think Florida has great summer weather?

Old 06-09-2020, 01:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,881,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
But I thought Central Florida never floods, and winds are weaker there.

Now aside from the flooding and hurricanes and other weather related disasters, do you think Florida has great summer weather?
As a runner and person who likes to be outdoors a bunch, no. It's kind of okay before 10am most of the time or if you're just going to the beach and splash around a bit when you get too warm, but anything more active than that can be tough.

A couple years back, we were at the Grand Canyon during 105F+ heat conditions and I remember being all 'Wow! so evaporative cooling of sweat isn't jut a fairy tale? Sweat evaporation never really happens in the summer back home in Florida because it's so humid'

Old 06-13-2020, 05:02 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,138,173 times
Quote:

I moved from Lafayette, IN to Miami-Dade after finishing my degree at Purdue. I ended up working in my career for 41+ years. A couple years later after retiring, I returned to Lafayette. My career had me working outdoors part of the time (botanical garden). As I grew older, I just could not take the constant heat, humidity and sun. Yes, the sun! I lived most of the time in the city Homestead. The last 23 years there, I owned an older home on 1/2 acre. I landscaped the property over those years and enjoyed the continual weeding, pruning, creating piles of plant debris for the city to pick up on their bi-monthly trash collections...… not! I don't like thunder and lightning! Lost a tv to lightning.... had many storms on the drive home (22 miles each way). I did not like the horrible drivers. I got tired of paying outrageous homeowners insurance (up to $4200.00 annually), auto insurance (perfect record) $2,000.00. I went through at least 5 hurricanes (including Andrew!), where I lost so much. I got tired of my handiwork (gardening) getting destroyed every several years. Crime, don't get me started.

So, although the winter weather sort of sucks up here in IN, the warmth of the people, the good drivers, less traffic, community spirit, interests in history, preservation of various architectural styles, conservation, good food, so many restaurants..... Much lower, much, much lower, cost of living. I know many of you were referring to moving from the northeast to Florida, but there are other places people live, with low COL and other advantages.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:05 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,559,307 times
Quote:
Why is it usually people from New York and the Upper Midwest who move to Florida and not vice versa?

Real estate may be cheaper in Florida, but not always. Miami is expensive, yet still many snowbirds moving there. Then you need hurricane insurance, which is far more expensive than any insurance you'll need up North for the blizzards. Oh, and sinkholes.

Sales taxes in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Maine are lower than Florida. New Hampshire has no sales tax. Why don't Northerners retire to a small New Hampshire or Michigan city instead of Florida?

Zero state income taxes, maybe? Retirees still have passive income, so they want to avoid capital gains taxes?

Overall, it doesn't seem like Florida is much cheaper than many Northern states except along the Boston-Washington DC corridor.

So my theory is that, contrary to popular opinion, people aren't moving from the North to Florida for the lower COL. The COL in Florida can be just as high due to hurricane insurance and property damage from hurricanes or sinkholes. They move to Florida for warmer weather. They move to Florida because they hate blizzards more than hurricanes. They move to Florida because Florida actually has awesome weather aside from hurricanes.

The maximum heat index these past 72 hours in Orlando was only 88 degrees. That's quite nice. Phoenix got a max heat index of 103 degrees.
Florida isn't much cheaper anymore but it sure is warmer in the winter.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Florida isn't much cheaper anymore but it sure is warmer in the winter.
Well, of course compared to Coastal California and NYC, even Miami looks like a bargain. But yeah, Coastal California has warm winters, too. And the panhandle is still pretty darn cheap, although it ain't exactly a refined, highbrow area, if the moniker "Redneck Riviera" is any indication.

So you are acknowledging my suspicion, that people aren't moving to Florida for the lower COL, often times. They're moving because of the WEATHER. Because aside from hurricanes/flooding (which are weaker and rarer anyways in Central Florida, the fastest growing part of the state), the weather is awesome. It's hotter and more humid than the North in the summer, but that's still more preferable to blizzards up North, and even compared to the dry desert heat and landscape of Phoenix.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:17 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
Quote:
Well, of course compared to Coastal California and NYC, even Miami looks like a bargain. But yeah, Coastal California has warm winters, too. And the panhandle is still pretty darn cheap, although it ain't exactly a refined, highbrow area, if the moniker "Redneck Riviera" is any indication.

So you are acknowledging my suspicion, that people aren't moving to Florida for the lower COL, often times. They're moving because of the WEATHER. Because aside from hurricanes/flooding (which are weaker and rarer anyways in Central Florida, the fastest growing part of the state), the weather is awesome. It's hotter and more humid than the North in the summer, but that's still more preferable to blizzards up North, and even compared to the dry desert heat and landscape of Phoenix.
We considered retirement in Southern California. We visited many times. We have in-laws that have lived there for decades, and want to leave. The weather is fantastic in Southern California most of the time. They live in a senior trailer park, which has both older mobile homes and very nice manufactured homes. The trailer park is quiet without any crazy people running around. They don’t have property taxes, but they do pay about $200 a year vehicle tax on the mobile home, even though it doesn’t have wheels on it. A new manufactured home costs a little over $100K, which is cheap. The lot rent is about $1,000 a month, that’s the expensive part of the deal. At night, you hear occasional gun shots in the distance. A nicer single family home start at about $1M. You could buy a very nice home in a nice neighborhood for about $1.5M. This is equivalent to a $500K nice home in Florida 5 to 10 miles from the coastline. The property taxes for those nice homes in nice areas in California are very high.

But the political climate is absolutely horrible! It’s totally controlled by the extreme leftists. Every year the Hispanic population increases. When you go to the big stores, like Walmart, about 99.9% of the people in the store are Hispanic. If you are a Caucasian, you are a tiny minority there. The Hispanic people are nice, and we’ve never had any problems with them. But a huge number of Hispanic people are illegals in California. About one third of the driver’s licenses in California are issued to illegals. The illegals primarily work for cash any pay no income taxes. At the same time, they collect welfare since they don’t have visible income. Working for cash and paying for things with cash is very common in California to hide income from taxation, both by the workers, and by the stores. The health care system and the school systems are being overwhelmed by all the illegals. Many criminals are being released from the prisons, which is increasing the crime rate. The homeless is out of control there with all the used needles on the sidewalks, the poop and urine all over the place. Some cops that work closely in the homeless area get typhoid, and many people think that the “Black Plague” that killed millions in the Middle Ages is coming back because of the cesspool of the homeless areas. Those areas are worse than the squalor in some third world countries! The population density and traffic is much worse than in the Midwest. You basically have to live your life around rush hour traffic, which you can do if you’re retired. Climate wise, California is fantastic! But the extreme leftists have destroyed California. Now, it’s not a good place to just visit anymore. The earthquakes are a serious problem there. The “big one” is way overdue, and California will be in deep trouble when the “big one” happens. It’s coming, but you don’t know when. There’s no warning with earthquakes, unlike hurricanes. We’ve ruled out Southern California many years ago, primarily because it’s totally controlled by the extreme leftists, and it has been destroyed. It used to be nice there many decades ago.

The climate in Florida isn’t as good as it is in California. But the political climate is drastically better. There are some “blue” areas in Florida to avoid, like the Miami area, where the roads are run down and there are a lot of other problems. It’s way too congested in the Miami area too. There’s an occasion hurricane that threatens parts of Florida, and sometimes hits parts of Florida. But there’s plenty of warning. The cost of living isn’t that high if you don’t live close to the coastline, where the costs are much higher. There’s a lot of fees in Florida, but there’s no state income tax, which is huge if you have a good retirement income stream.

Last edited by davephan; 06-14-2020 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-14-2020, 07:46 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,525,153 times
I'm in North Georgia's Blue Ridge Mountains in my RV. This is where so many Floridians go on vacation.

Often every third license plate up here is from Florida.

You don't have to go all the way to Florida to find a superior quality of life (to NY or NJ.)

The mountains are full of golf/tennis communities that are incredibly plush places to live. Gary Player was designing a golf course in NW SC and liked the place so well he moved there and took his whole golf course architectural firm with him.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:58 AM

860 posts, read 322,856 times
Quote:

The state government here in Florida is one of the things I love about Florida. I was a big upgrade over NY for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida