Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do Northerners move to Florida usually and not vice versa?
The COL/taxes are lower, even after paying for hurricane/sinkhole insurance and high sales taxes. 16 33.33%
Because blizzards and the cold are even worse than hurricanes and humidity. 32 66.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 08:48 AM

27,223 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most people that end up living in FL never move out because they are too used to the weather and sticker shock when they visit the north.

Soon more people will flee to FL and TX because office workers no longer need to be close to their offices. Many well paid execs already moved to cheaper states and fly into the north during weekdays. Now they don't need to fly anymore and they can permanently work in cheaper states.

So I expect good neighborhoods in FL, Texas, and Nevada to go up in prices while expensive cities will drop or stay the same in home values.
Inaccurate on so many levels. Once again skipping over a few states in between with better weather arguably than NY or FL that have a lower cost of living overall than FL, minus the speculative nature of real estate purchases in good times versus the downturns that easily affect FL home prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most people that end up living in FL never move out because they are too used to the weather and sticker shock when they visit the north.

Soon more people will flee to FL and TX because office workers no longer need to be close to their offices. Many well paid execs already moved to cheaper states and fly into the north during weekdays. Now they don't need to fly anymore and they can permanently work in cheaper states.

So I expect good neighborhoods in FL, Texas, and Nevada to go up in prices while expensive cities will drop or stay the same in home values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Inaccurate on so many levels. Once again skipping over a few states in between with better weather arguably than NY or FL that have a lower cost of living overall than FL, minus the speculative nature of real estate purchases in good times versus the downturns that easily affect FL home prices.

This is something that has already been happening here on some scale in addition to the effects of people retiring here from more expensive locales. With some employers who initially refused to offer remote work being more open to it after the forced COVID-19 closures, those kind of migrations are bound to increase.

So that's potentially more people being able to bring their coastal major city salaries (not including Miami) to places like Tampa or Orlando because they are "cheap." That could in effect price people who choose to build their careers here out of the housing market. On the flip side, if people are able to able to pit a downtown Orlando office job offer against newly remote offers from Boston or wherever, maybe that will increase the salary base here.

Facebook is taking an interesting move. They are considering adjusting the salaries of remote workers who choose to live in cheaper areas. So, that $150,000 Facebook developer job in the SF Bay area may end up being $90,000 if you plan to work remotely from Dallas. If other companies start doing the same, how could that impact physical mobility around the country?

Old 06-07-2020, 11:29 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
That is a great point I never thought of. This remote working thing will make a big difference in where people HAD TO live and now where the CAN & WANT to live.
Right. As someone in the engineering field who is considering a career shift into computer science or data science, I'd love to move to Orlando. The only thing stopping me would be the lack of tech jobs compared to Silicon Valley. Haven't been to Orlando, but from what I see it's a lot more scenic than Silicon Valley.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:36 AM

948 posts, read 568,077 times
My answer to your poll:

Yes.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:28 PM

747 posts, read 498,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
That's my point, but many in California will say, No! Florida sucks! The weather sucks! Hurricane insurance and property taxes are crazy expensive and make real estate costs expensive! Florida is flat and ugly! Better to retire to the nice, mild deserts of Phoenix! Phoenix doesn't feel as hot as Florida because it's a dry heat! Dry but mountainous desert landscape is better than flat and green!
Take it from someone who moved from San Francisco to Florida when I say that California is awful compared to Florida. Nowhere is perfect but I very much enjoyed living in Florida and hated California. Florida is awesome.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:22 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Why would you want to go from sun and most things looking nice and new to... high taxes, crumbling infrastructure, bad weather
i am not speaking for myself but rather. pointing out another perspective.

1. bad weather is a subjective thing.

2. some people prefer older homes and history.

3. where is it crumbling. exactly?

4. EDUCATION. For middle class people, good public schools are important. Their are some good public school systems in FL. They do all seem to be located in very wealthy communities. In the North East and mid west, education is a priority for most folks.

Not every one wants to send their kids to an Evangelical "Christian Academy". Not every one is religious or ultra conservative.

5. Culture and history. Theme parks a fun. However, there are so many museums, and historical destinations in the North. We have theme parks also.

I am NOT putting down FL. In fact,, I love FL and I visit often.

Just trying to show another perspective.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
That is a great point I never thought of. This remote working thing will make a big difference in where people HAD TO live and now where the CAN & WANT to live.
It's not new, a lot of agents like mortgage brokers, headhunters, sales agents, etc have already moved to cheaper states years ago and now more people will move away to get away from high income taxes and urban city chaos. If you make 6 figures in NYC or CA, you're paying almost 40% in combined taxes. You can easily get rid of 20% of your taxes by moving to cheaper states.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:52 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Wow, it never even occurred to me there was any reason BUT weather. My retired grandparents - the parents - then siblings - moved so that they could enjoy their last years EVERY DAY doing what they want, instead of June/July/August, and half of that is gray rain.

Yes, homes cost more - so they got a smaller home, costs the same. Yes, there is hurr. insurance...but they no longer have to drive a 4WD truck all season. And so on. Lots of trade offs. In the end, though - no question - I don't know a single person that moved there for NOT the weather, nor do I know anyone that ever moved back willingly.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times
Quote:
Here is your answer. The MANY PEOPLE you keeping trying to claim are simply WRONG. I just gave you my numbers and it is a slam dunk for Florida. Property taxes are NOT crazy expensive and neither is home insurance. The only insurance that MIGHT be expensive would be flood insurance IF you are in a flood zone. MOST people do not need flood insurance.
I am in SoFla 3 miles from the Atlantic as the crow flies.
My home insurance (not a condo) is $2400/ yr for 1200#under air (2000# fee simple).
Flood insurance is $300/year thru Lloyd's of London.
I have impact windows, new roof, hurricane shutters over sliders.. so likely could get a wind mitigation reduction.
I haven't got an inspection for these improvements ... I am a bit lazy.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:59 AM

648 posts, read 518,570 times
Hi Pamela. Whose impact windows did you get? Are you happy with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida