Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do Northerners move to Florida usually and not vice versa?
The COL/taxes are lower, even after paying for hurricane/sinkhole insurance and high sales taxes. 16 33.33%
Because blizzards and the cold are even worse than hurricanes and humidity. 32 66.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 10:26 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
I pay $3,900 a year in property taxes here instead of $16,568 in New York and $700 for home owners insurance here instead of $1,750 in New York. I do not have to pay $22,050 in state income tax here. Seems like a no brainer to be here in Florida.
Absolutely correct.
OP is obsessed about insurance costs for some reason.
There is way more to it than that.
A HUGE factor, totally ignored so far, is the cost of buying a house, which on a sq ft basis is easily double or triple in the desirable sections of the NE.
It's therefore very financially attractive to sell your house on LI (or CT or MA, or..) in a good SD for $750+k and downsize a bit to a lovely ranch in SoFL not far from the beach for 1/3 the price, pocket the difference and live REALLY well.
When you factor in RE taxes going from $18k to $2-3k and NO income tax, hurricane insurance is small potatoes indeed and rarely plays a part in the decision to move south.
Although actual hurricanes might!

When all is considered, the idea of working in FL and retiring to LI makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 01:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Most people that end up living in FL never move out because they are too used to the weather and sticker shock when they visit the north.

Soon more people will flee to FL and TX because office workers no longer need to be close to their offices. Many well paid execs already moved to cheaper states and fly into the north during weekdays. Now they don't need to fly anymore and they can permanently work in cheaper states.

So I expect good neighborhoods in FL, Texas, and Nevada to go up in prices while expensive cities will drop or stay the same in home values.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:15 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Why would you want to go from sun and most things looking nice and new to... high taxes, crumbling infrastructure, bad weather
That's my point, but many in California will say, No! Florida sucks! The weather sucks! Hurricane insurance and property taxes are crazy expensive and make real estate costs expensive! Florida is flat and ugly! Better to retire to the nice, mild deserts of Phoenix! Phoenix doesn't feel as hot as Florida because it's a dry heat! Dry but mountainous desert landscape is better than flat and green!

Old 06-07-2020, 07:25 AM

648 posts, read 518,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
I pay $3,900 a year in property taxes here instead of $16,568 in New York and $700 for home owners insurance here instead of $1,750 in New York. I do not have to pay $22,050 in state income tax here. Seems like a no brainer to be here in Florida.
BB, would you be able to provide a little more info on your homeowners insurance? Your property taxes are in range with mine, but I couldn’t find insurance quotes anywhere near that low, even being in a Flood Zone X location.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:27 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
BB, would you be able to provide a little more info on your homeowners insurance? Your property taxes are in range with mine, but I couldn’t find insurance quotes anywhere near that low, even being in a Flood Zone X location.
Yes, and how is it possible homeowners insurance is so high in NY? What natural disasters do you need protection from! Flooding? Blizzards?

Old 06-07-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
That's my point, but many in California will say, No! Florida sucks! The weather sucks! Hurricane insurance and property taxes are crazy expensive and make real estate costs expensive! Florida is flat and ugly! Better to retire to the nice, mild deserts of Phoenix! Phoenix doesn't feel as hot as Florida because it's a dry heat! Dry but mountainous desert landscape is better than flat and green!
I mentioned in other threads that I had taken a serious look at the Phoenix area as a new place to live I went once in the cooler months and again right in the middle of the hottest part of the year down there (I did the same for FL). Yep, it sure does have dry heat, but it’s not like I could stay in 110+ degree heat and think it was great. Let’s face it - the heat in both AZ and FL, while different, is something to deal with. Just as the cold and the ice and snow are in the NE. What turned me away from that part of AZ was two things (among other smaller things). First, once I got past the admitted beauty and grandeur of the vistas, on a more down to Earth and day to day basis it came down to “I’m going to be living in a freaking desert! Everywhere I look it’s just desert!”. Wasn’t sure I was going to like that over the long term. The other thing was, unless I was looking to live outside the boundaries of the various towns I was looking at, pretty much every single house in every single developed community had walled in backyards. And I don’t mean fences; I mean 8 to 10 foot block walls that completely enclosed a backyard. Oh, I saw beautiful homes just North of Scottsdale, for example, that had no walls, but they were also on dirt roads, had water brought in by truck, and were nowhere near a hospital or conveniences (there were a few very expensive “no wall” communities that had public services, but they were still on the outskirts of things). Before going out there, AZ was my first choice on paper, but these were among the things that made me decide differently. I didn’t care for the idea of sitting on the back porch and looking at... wall. Here in FL I now have a house with almost a 1/2 acre, with an open view out the back with no rear neighbors, and I’m 15-20 minutes or less from all my day to day needs. Do/will I miss the kinds of things available to me in the NE? Yes, probably. But like BB I’d be shelling out a ton more money every year in property and State income taxes to keep these things. I’ve been fortunate to have had at my convenience the finest symphonies, the finest art either in house or from world tours, the incredible diversity of selection in anything that comes to mind, among the finest restaurants in the country. Life changes. While I may not have such easy convenience to such things in the future, every part of the country has things of its own to discover and appreciate. I intend to spend my time in Florida finding and appreciating those things.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 AM

860 posts, read 322,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most people that end up living in FL never move out because they are too used to the weather and sticker shock when they visit the north.

Soon more people will flee to FL and TX because office workers no longer need to be close to their offices. Many well paid execs already moved to cheaper states and fly into the north during weekdays. Now they don't need to fly anymore and they can permanently work in cheaper states.

So I expect good neighborhoods in FL, Texas, and Nevada to go up in prices while expensive cities will drop or stay the same in home values.
That is a great point I never thought of. This remote working thing will make a big difference in where people HAD TO live and now where the CAN & WANT to live.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Here is your answer. The MANY PEOPLE you keeping trying to claim are simply WRONG. I just gave you my numbers and it is a slam dunk for Florida. Property taxes are NOT crazy expensive and neither is home insurance. The only insurance that MIGHT be expensive would be flood insurance IF you are in a flood zone. MOST people do not need flood insurance.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
$450,000 home in Lakewood Ranch, not in a flood zone. American Strategic Insurance.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:29 AM

Thanks. I’ll have to see if they’re writing policies in Central FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida