Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 09:16 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You can actually find a nice lakefront place (on year round road, within 30 minutes of a Meijer's or otherwise not too isolated) in many Great Lakes locations for less than $1 million right now. The thing is that you have to be a cash buyer because those homes are uninsurable and no bank will write a loan on them.

Water levels can vary a good amount in the Great Lakes from decade to decade and they're in a very high phase right now. A lot of homes that did not have the room to be pulled back from dune lines in the last few years have gotten taken out by dune erosion caused by those high levels.

https://www.wpr.org/under-threat-hig...more-resilient

If you can find a property on a very deep lot that can take 50 feet of dune erosion and are in it for the long run you can sometimes find relative bargains. My parents know people who bought in the mid-80s when lake levels were last this high and some were selling for panic reasons and the 30 year appreciation by about 2015 was impressive in a state were real estate values can be pretty stagnant in general.

And do keep enough money on the side to snowbird in winter. The same conditions that keep Michigan and northern Ohio warmer than most of Canada in the winter also mean you can get less than 20 hours of sunlight in January.

Don't get me wrong, the Great Lakes are awesome in the summer but there are also good reasons why so many former auto workers end up in Tampa or Top of the World for their retirement years.

From everything that I've read, the expectation is that the onslaught of climate change will lower the levels of the Great Lakes. The anticipation is that ice cover in winter will decline, resulting in massive winter evaporation. Ice cover on Lake Erie, the most southern Great Lake, was minimal last winter.

Additionally, warmer lakes in summer increase evaporation.

Development and run-off is an issue, but increasingly regulations require mitigation efforts to reduce run-off, not to lower lake levels, but to vastly decrease the burden on waste treatment plants and sewer systems.

This article discusses the Great Lakes water budget.

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/b...s-water-levels

Great Lakes water levels now are declining.

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Water-Levels/

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missi...Level-Outlook/

I live near Lake Erie and own a second property on Lake Erie. My property and many others had robust shore protections built in the 1980s. Insurance is no problem.

Other projects continue today.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...-projects.html

While ocean sea level rise is accelerating and relentless, Lake Erie and the other great Great Lakes may see declining water levels and much larger beaches in the years ahead. There can be too much of a "good thing," however, as lower water levels cause environmental, navigation, and water supply issues, all witnessed in the last 10 years in periods of low lake levels.

Believe it or not, lakeshore condos are available in Greater Cleveland for less than $50,000 today. E.g., check out the Bonneville Tower condos in Euclid. Here are listings for the "Gold Coast" in Lakewood.

https://www.zillow.com/lakewood-oh/condos/

There are single family homes available for much less than $1 million on Edgewater Drive in Cleveland, short walks from Edgewater Park. Many of the properties likely are not directly on the lakeshore.

https://www.zillow.com/edgewater-cle...oom%22%3A14%7D

Here's a lakefront home for sale in Euclid for less than $700,000 and located less than 15 miles from downtown Cleveland.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...3633297_zpid/?

Last edited by WRnative; 09-28-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 05:03 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
No way jay i would pay 700k to live in that state.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM

Default Realtor.com to add flood risk score to its listings?

<<A nonprofit research and technology group, First Street Foundation launched an interactive website offering flood risk data on more than 142 million homes and properties across the country in June. Now Realtor.com, one of the nation’s largest home listing sites, will put those scores on all of its listings.

First Street, working with more than 80 scientists and researchers, is remapping America’s flood risk in an effort to educate homeowners, buyers and the greater real estate industry. It assigns a flood score to every property.

“We’re basically building flood models that calculate the past, present and future flood risk for every home in the country,” said Matthew Eby, founder and executive director of the First Street Foundation. “By integrating Flood Factor into Realtor.com’s platform, we will not only reach millions of people on a daily basis, we will do so when they need it most — when they are buying or selling a home.”>>

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/26/ever...gher-risk.html

Flood risk scores may impact significantly the prices of individual homes, both in vulnerable areas in exisitng flood zones, but also of homes not currently recognized as being in a flood zone. As many insured individuals claim losses that insurers argue resulted from non-covered flood insurance, regular home insurance costs also may rise in areas with newly recognized flood risks.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:16 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
I'm from Missouri and it seems a lot of older people are retiring to far Southern Missouri around Table Rock, Branson, Springfield area due to having seasons but it's mild climate and doesn't get a lot of snow in winter.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about folks from California moving to Southern Missouri to retire.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
<<A nonprofit research and technology group, First Street Foundation launched an interactive website offering flood risk data on more than 142 million homes and properties across the country in June. Now Realtor.com, one of the nation’s largest home listing sites, will put those scores on all of its listings.

First Street, working with more than 80 scientists and researchers, is remapping America’s flood risk in an effort to educate homeowners, buyers and the greater real estate industry. It assigns a flood score to every property.

“We’re basically building flood models that calculate the past, present and future flood risk for every home in the country,” said Matthew Eby, founder and executive director of the First Street Foundation. “By integrating Flood Factor into Realtor.com’s platform, we will not only reach millions of people on a daily basis, we will do so when they need it most — when they are buying or selling a home.”>>

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/26/ever...gher-risk.html

Flood risk scores may impact significantly the prices of individual homes, both in vulnerable areas in exisitng flood zones, but also of homes not currently recognized as being in a flood zone. As many insured individuals claim losses that insurers argue resulted from non-covered flood insurance, regular home insurance costs also may rise in areas with newly recognized flood risks.
I checked where I live and it is wrong now and the future, even with some sea level rise. It is lacking a lot of actual topographical information.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:46 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Good evening,

I retired in April 2020 at FRA of 66. My husband will be able to retire at FRA in 2 years. We have talked about moving to Florida from our current home in Tehachapi, CA. We love Tehachapi for the peaceful atmosphere and four seasons, but are tired of the taxes and crazy rules in CA. My daughters and families live in Fl, one in Indialantic and one in West Melborne, and my son and family in CA.

We have talked about moving for FL for two years and now my husband is balking due to risk of hurricanes, humidity, and close neighbors. We live on 1.4 acres and do not have neighbors. I would like to be close to my kids and grandkids and start pulling out of my 401k in a state with no state taxes.

So a little more history. Husband is 64 and still has a couple more years in the aerospace industry. I retired at 66 after 23 years in the aerospace industry. All 3 kids are in the aerospace industry and the 2 daughters moved for a nice promotion in their career fields. My son is in Palmdale with the same aerospace company. They have 2 college-age boys and a 6 year old daughter. My DIL's mother is a germaphobe, helicopter mom and we were not ever allowed to babysit any of the grands. We keep to birthdays, recitals, and some holidays. On the other hand, I am very close to my daughters. Helped with oldest granddaughter while my daughter got her Masters. Youngest daughter is newly-married and very career minded. I doubt that they will have children. So no overreaching with any of my kids/grands.

I am surprised that so many of you are familiar with Tehachapi, CA. It really is "on the edge of Paradise" as the sign coming into town says. Another consideration are the differences in my husband and my personality. He is more on the quiet side, like to bike and fish. Would definitely want a boat if we moved to FL. I am in the middle of intro/extrovert. When in FL, my oldest daughter and I love to go shelling. Walking and jogging on the causeway, some shopping with my youngest daughter is fun. We all miss holidays and birthdays together and the girls routinely text "Miss you. Wish you were here".

Perhaps splitting time in both CA and FL would work best. We have 2 Papillons that require a schedule and daily exercise. My husband loves them, but does pay as much attention as is needed to ensure that they are taken care of properly. We just scheduled 2 weeks in FL at Christmas, so during that time we will talk with a realtor. Bottom-line, even with a packed motorhome ready to leave in case of a hurricane evacuation, do we really want to be concerned every year when hurricane season comes around? Too old to worry about rebuilding at our ages.

This has become quite a bone of contention. Your thoughts on resolving a conflict in retirement plans and on retiring in FL are very much appreciated.

Best,

Reddog53
Why not look at upstate South Carolina in the Greenville area or around the Asheville area of North Carolina. May seem a lot more like home with the mountains and still not that far from Florida that you couldn't do visits periodically. Both have income tax but much lower than California. Property taxes in South Carolina are pretty low. Also since you have a motor home you could really spend some time in Florida during non hurricane season.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:00 AM

127 posts, read 131,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about folks from California moving to Southern Missouri to retire.

Heck, I have had 3 leftist families from CA moved in my sub here in swf in just the past 4 mos LOL

Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitondowntheroad View Post
Heck, I have had 3 leftist families from CA moved in my sub here in swf in just the past 4 mos LOL
Yep, and that's the problem. Those liberals move from places like CA and the New England.

Eventually FL is going to be a blue state. The last 3 governor elections were razor thin margins along with the presidential elections.

Like here in Charlotte County I see a lot of New England snobs, especially in Punta Gorda. The people from the other southern states and the midwest around here tend to support Republicans, but these New Englanders are liberal I notice. We have a lot of MA, NJ, and NY folks around here.

There will never be enough of them to turn Missouri blue though since Missouri is such a deep Republican state now though but states like FL and TX could be a problem though.

Another reason why places like Southern Missouri and northern Arkansas are getting these transplants is that some of them actually move here to Florida, BUT they get tired of the heat and humidity and want to move somewhere cooler but not somewhere that has terrible winters so they move half way. Half backers is a term I've seen used before. That's why places like South Carolina and North Carolina get people from FL. Gets cold in the winter but not bone chilling and snowed in for days.

Southwest FL is not as conservative as many think. A lot of our Republicans here are RINOs. 80 percent of Missouri is more conservative than anywhere here in Southwest FL. I see lots of democrat signs here. Outside of St. Louis, Kansas City and COlumbia you hardly ever see that anymore. Put up Biden stuff in the middle of rural southern MO and you will literally be ran out of the town.

I lived in Southwest Florida from 1991 to 2002. FL was more conservative back then I recall than it is today living here again.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:40 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitondowntheroad View Post
Me too! New neighbors in SWF are from CA

Old 10-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Default Research studies reveal impact of climate change on Florida markets

Relative interest is beginning to wane in Florida coastal markets, according to this study.

<<And in more recent years, the drop in transactions has started to effect the prices that sellers are fetching for their homes. Home prices in both markets rose between 2013 and 2015, but after that point prices in the more-exposed areas began to dip. The researchers noted that this trend matched what occurred in Florida during the housing bust that preceded the Great Recession.

“Falling sales volumes preceded sharp declines in prices,” the researchers wrote in the paper, which was distributed by the National Bureau for Economic Research. “The most natural explanation for this pattern is the shrinking and eventual departure of ‘market optimists’ from the market.”>>

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...?mod=home-page

Climate change deniers may be propping up coastal real estate prices.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cl...sts-2019-11-07

As sea level rise accelerates over this decade, and sunny day flooding and beach erosion rises, the ranks of climate change deniers may thin greatly. A major hurricane strike in southern Florida also may lessen the numbers of climate change deniers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida