Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 03:54 PM

286 posts, read 210,984 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Florida.
The plan is to rent an apartment for 4 months and and make an offer for an apartment during that time.

Will I be able to get a Florida Driver's license if I have a 4 month lease? I read something about tourist tax if the rent is less than 6 months: does it imply if I have a lease for only 4 months I will be considered a tourist?

I would get a 6 month lease , but for a family reasons I will have to move back in April for several months.
So I don't want to pay extra.

Is there anything else I should know? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 07:04 PM

786 posts, read 626,618 times
If you rent a private residence or room, you can avoid that in most cases as dealing directly with a homeowner is less formal. Are you coming down alone any testing the waters or do you need to bring family?

Old 12-06-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
If you rent a private residence or room, you can avoid that in most cases as dealing directly with a homeowner is less formal. Are you coming down alone any testing the waters or do you need to bring family?
I don't want to avoid it since to get a DL I will need a prove of a residence (lease) and one other form with an address (like a utility bill). Which I might not have since some rentals have all the utilities included.
We are all going to spend 6-7 months a year in FL, but I am the only one who will get the residency changed to FL. Me and my wife are filing our taxes separately.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:17 PM

237 posts, read 283,485 times
Tax evasion. Nice.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
Tax evasion. Nice.
Are you saying no one is allowed to leave a high tax state anymore because it would be tax evasion?
Really?
We are moving to FL and will be spending most of the time there. Everything is legal afaik.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Car registration in Florida and proof of auto insurance checks two proof of residency boxes. You were going to register your vehicle in Florida as state law generally requires, weren't you?

Old 12-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Car registration in Florida and proof of auto insurance checks two proof of residency boxes. You were going to register your vehicle in Florida as state law generally requires, weren't you?
One has to get a DL first and then register the car.
So I won't have the car registration when I will be applying for the DL.
Probably will change address in my bank accounts and wait for the letters.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:36 PM

786 posts, read 626,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post
Are you saying no one is allowed to leave a high tax state anymore because it would be tax evasion?
Really?
We are moving to FL and will be spending most of the time there. Everything is legal afaik.

Anyone can leave a high tax state for a low one, but when you are playing games with residency criteria and tax filing status to pay lower taxes you are committing tax evasion. Especially when you have a spouse in on it filing separately holding a homestead in a different state... No Red Flags there.

Good Luck with that Audit.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
Look into whether Florida residency requires you to spend at least 6 months a year in Florida. Folks in my neighborhood that snowbird are all Florida residents, homestead their house and are diligent in spending at least 6 months a year in Florida. I am not sure whether that is a homestead requirement or residency requirement.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Anyone can leave a high tax state for a low one, but when you are playing games with residency criteria and tax filing status to pay lower taxes you are committing tax evasion. Especially when you have a spouse in on it filing separately holding a homestead in a different state... No Red Flags there.

Good Luck with that Audit.
I have multiple couple friends who have done just that. It is not that uncommon. She was still working in NY in real estate and he retired from teaching. He changed his permanent address to FL. She kept hers in NY and kept working. He got the $25K homestead credit, she did not. So the house had only half the homestead credit on it. Another couple, he decided he wanted to retire to FL. She wanted to stay up in NY with the kids. Same thing. Bought the house and he is a permanent resident, she is still a resident in NY. In both cases one spouse travels to visit the other. The permanent resident spouse does live most of the year in FL. The northern spouses come down in the winter. They also file married filing separately taxes. It's all on the up and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: