Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 09:21 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_Stina View Post
Thank you, we're not familiar with the Gainesville area.... we also didn't think it had much going on for teens and adult children. For some reason, I get Tallahassee mixed up with Gainesville. Gainesville is the one with the University, not Tallahassee. We will look into it, since many of you have the same response. Thank you!

Gainesville is home to UF, one of the best, if not the best universities in Florida and Tallahassee is home to FSU, also one of the best universities in Florida. The town you want to be commuting distance from is really in the middle of nowhere, so Gainesville is the closest thing to a real city and it's pretty decent for a small city, so it's a good choice given your options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 09:25 AM

12 posts, read 15,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Gainesville is home to the University of Florida. Tallahassee is home to Florida State, so both have a University. Gainesville would be a decent place for teens.
Thank you, I was getting the two towns mixed up for some reason.... I thought Gainesville was the only one with a Uni, I didn't realize Tallahassee had one, but then why wouldn't it, it is the capital.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 15,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Gainesville is home to UF, one of the best, if not the best universities in Florida and Tallahassee is home to FSU, also one of the best universities in Florida. The town you want to be commuting distance from is really in the middle of nowhere, so Gainesville is the closest thing to a real city and it's pretty decent for a small city, so it's a good choice given your options.
We wish Duneden wasn't so far, 2hr 2Omin is a lot.... I'm even trying to find something 1hr away, but like you said Williston is out there.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:45 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,938,396 times
I know a lot of people will probably not like my choice but we lived in Lake City which was nice because you can go all four corners of USA,75,10 & 95 with no driving and good choice of doctor's etc..We are retired and lived there for 25 years after 20 years in Denver,CO.We had to leave because of age.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:55 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
We wish Duneden wasn't so far, 2hr 2Omin is a lot.... I'm even trying to find something 1hr away, but like you said Williston is out there.

I think you will like Gainesville since you like Dunedin. It's not on the ocean obviously, but you are near a lot of beautiful natural springs great for swimming, paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkeling, etc. Gainesville also has niche restaurants and grocery stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:19 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Favio View Post
Ocala,
Clermont,
Mount Dora,
Minneola,

Marion Oaks,
Sorrento,
Leesburg,
Eustis,

Look into these towns as well.
Quote:
We are looking to live 30 to 35 mins outside of Williston.... we have two young adults and two teens, so we need an active community (active in homeschooling as well). We really loved Duneden, but it's too far. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions, the communities that I looked at so far, are either for retirees, or young families.

Eh... None of those towns outside of Ocala are remotely close to what OP seems to be looking for. Mount Dora, Eustis and Sorrento are a good 1.5 hours away. Same with Clermont and Minneola.
None of the towns mentioned here aside form maybe Ocala are (active) for young adults and teenagers.

I think the only good answer here is, in fact, Gainesville.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:45 PM

3,247 posts, read 3,200,315 times
Gainesville has a lot going on--we're a music hub, as Bo Diddly, Tom Petty, Bernie Leadon of the Eagles and Flying Burrito Brothers, and Stephen Stills of CSN&Y all came from here. As we're opening up more now and putting COVID behind us, I'm sure things will return to normal with local concerts and entertainment. The area is also home to several museums: Natural History, Harn Museum of Art, Cade Museum of Science (Dr. Cade invented Gatorade), Historic Haile Homestead and Matheson History Museum (the latter two focus on local and Florida history).

Also, lots of nature and nature trails and parks if you are outdoorsy: Devil's Millhopper (giant sinkhole you can walk down), San Felasco, Paynes Prairie, Lake Alice, La Chua trail, Sweetwater, among others. And several natural springs: Ginny, Ichetucknee, Rainbow, Juniper, among others. You can go tubing, swimming, kayaking.

Gainesville is a young town due to the university but we're retired (my husband is, I still am not) and we don't feel out of place. We live in a development that has different types of housing--apartments, condos, townhouses, and single family homes (from small to large to very very large) so we have all sorts of people here--young college students, young families, older families, empty nesters, retirees, etc etc. We're in the SW section of Gainesville.

We even have an Outback Steakhouse which will probably make you laugh at how Americans will take any idea and put our own twist on it to make it our own. Shrimp and chicken on the barbie as only an American chain can serve!

Good luck in your search. I'm sure you'll find something between Gainesville or any of the other towns mentioned.

PS: you're probably too young to appreciate this advantage but the medical care here is excellent (dental and eye care too) and if you have pets, same for vet care. This part of the state, compared to other parts, is also relatively affordable although that is changing somewhat.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:58 PM

3,247 posts, read 3,200,315 times
Opps, forgot to add about all the sports here in Gainesville. Our men's tennis team just won a national championship, and our nickname is Titletown USA as we own so many national and regional titles in so many sports. You want to watch top athletes that are the future pros of tomorrow, you will see many of them here.

Our women's gymnastics team finished #4 in the country; we also have top 10 volleyball teams. So if you love to watch sports, you'll love this town. You will have to master the standard greeting here. Rather than Good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening, it's "Go Gators." You do that, you'll fit right in.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:19 AM

71 posts, read 103,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I know a lot of people will probably not like my choice but we lived in Lake City which was nice because you can go all four corners of USA,75,10 & 95 with no driving and good choice of doctor's etc..We are retired and lived there for 25 years after 20 years in Denver,CO.We had to leave because of age.
To my knowledge OP said they are looking for a place that has things to do for Teenagers and young adults.
Lake City is probably the worst option.
Gainesville or Ocala.

Things to do in Ocala (family activities and young adults)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgsRaoMazUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWRznxyuOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugtkBfBpEOg

Things to do in Gainesville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm1yVmM_ZYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_7nUKAFanM

Old 05-26-2021, 09:26 AM

35 posts, read 38,999 times
Oh my my....Aussies ! good luck indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida