Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 05:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Maybe- except that summer runs from April to October.

And in case you haven't noticed, the temps and humidity have been averaging 80's right now - and it's early March.

The bugs never die because it doesn't get cold enough to kill them off. Most of them look like are extras on the Jurassic Park movies.

The a/c runs 24/7. Can't open the windows except for maybe two days a year.

And I would love to sleep in sometimes, but I have to get up, dressed, and run the chores before 10 am before the real heat and sun beats down on us.
Yes, when people ask me how terrible it must be to have moved from FL, I mention that it is so hot from May-Oct that it’s hard to do much outside. I was absolutely shocked that the bugs actually die elsewhere. When I did exercise outside, it was usually first thing in the morning or usually after 6.

I would have to say that my main issue in FL is that allergy season is much longer. It is particularly bad in North Florida, where you get the combo of southern and northern plants. I felt like I was sick all the time in Tallahassee and generally hated it there for that reason. It’s a very pretty area, but that isn’t particularly helpful if you are sneezing and coughing all the time.

I think there is a reason why there are so many halfbacks who move to more temperate places slightly farther north. You still get the 4 season experience, but with the less intense winters. FWIW, you don’t usually shovel snow off a roof, you use a roof rake. It’s more like a rolled up piece of plastic that you roll up your roof and then the snow falls off to the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 06:57 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post

Another, probably related to it, is the amount of sports you can practice year-round, helping people adopt much healthier and happy lifestyles.
When I try to run about more than three miles outside in peak summer humidity, I frequently end up getting some really nasty dehydration migraine headaches. And then there are summers when it seems like one constant thunderstorm in July.

We actually bought an indoor treadmill in large in order to be able to exercise in the summer better.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:38 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
When I try to run about more than three miles outside in peak summer humidity, I frequently end up getting some really nasty dehydration migraine headaches. And then there are summers when it seems like one constant thunderstorm in July.

We actually bought an indoor treadmill in large in order to be able to exercise in the summer better.
Move where i am and you won't have to worry about rain murry.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:38 PM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
Hey, how is Green Valley? Anything of interest in the area? Taxes and Insurance? Water quality and availability? Winter weather?
It's warm and low humidity. Hiking is great. Madera Canyon is my go to place. Wild turkeys running around, deer are almost tame and are everywhere And, you can drive up to 5,400 ft get out and hike to over 9000.
They roll up the sidewalks at 7:00 pm Restaurants are few unless you drive to Tucson. Lots of open desert country and a whole lot of nothing. I like a lot of nothing. Greenvalley itself is crowded and full of snowbirds in the winter. Average age seems to be about 80 in the winter. Most people are from Wisconsin, Washington state. Michigan, Minnesota, Utah, Alaska, Colorado and just like in Florida they are too old to be behind the wheel. I'm 65 and I feel like a youngster around here.
It's like a huge nursing home. But, God bless them because we're all heading there. I've been here 6 months. Southern Arizona is real different and so is the American southwest. I saw it and loved it. It ain't for everyone and neither is Florida. I love the ocean and I love the desert mountains. Ain't nothing perfect, so pick your poison because life is to short to be complaining.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:31 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times
We moved back to Florida last June. The first three to four months were spent on home renovations and buying furniture, etc. Yes, it is hot in the summer. It’s also hot in southeastern Pennsylvania, where I spent the last two summers. (The rest of the seasons, too). That is what really spurred me to think about moving back here. The summers were so uncomfortably hot, humid and with an abundance of horrible insects. If it exists in Pennsylvania, it was in my house. Stink bugs, mosquitoes, spotted lantern flies, some other weird tree attacking insect. Regular flies, ants, fleas. You get my drift. And no one uses pest control! In the thirty plus years I’ve lived in Florida, I may have seen sugar ants a handful of times and a few dead palmetto bugs, otherwise know as Australian flying cockroaches. Yes, they are truly horrifying but my buddies at Terminix make sure I never even have to think about their existence.

Now, back to the weather. There is an unfortunate lack of sunshine in southeastern Pa. If fact, Berks county has fewer sunny days than Portland, Oregon and we all know how gloomy it is in the Pacific Northwest for a large part of the year. The other thing that bothered me about the increasingly mild winters up north, is how everything looks dead and brown for five to six months. That’s almost as bad as the lack of sunshine for me.

Everyone is different, thank goodness, but personally, I have not been happier or healthier in a long, long time. I am in the best shape of my life at 66 thanks for my daily walks, yoga classes at the clubhouse, swimming laps in the community pool and bicycling around the neighborhood. I’m also eating a much healthier diet thanks to the plethora of fresh seafood options here. We use the grill two or three times a week. When it gets too hot to walk later this year I’ll stick to indoor workouts and lap swimming. By the way, we moved into a 55+ community. The social aspect is great for me. My husband has social anxiety and prefers a much quieter lifestyle due to his brain injury so we both get what we want.

If you are a person who absolutely hates hot weather, then this isn’t the place. Except for the panhandle even winters are warm. This summer I have several trips planned, some to visit family and others to get a break from the heat. My husband stays home with the cats so we have a chance to miss each other.

No place is perfect but if I have to choose one spot, and I do, then I found my little slice of heaven.

So, OP in Prague (beautiful city!), my answer is yes.

Last edited by Tulippsy; 03-12-2023 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Added answer to OP’s question.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsch9 View Post
TLDR.

You remind me of a high school English teacher I didn't appreciate. He must have had buckets of red ink because he'd assign us a 2000 word essay and then cross most of the responses out. I'm guessing you didn't have a teacher with a bucket of red ink.
Ouch. You remind me of a high school gym teacher I didn’t appreciate. I won’t go into why since you won’t read it anyway.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:51 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
I found when I was in Florida that my mood was automatically lifted...

Old 03-13-2023, 11:54 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
I’m also eating a much healthier diet thanks to the plethora of fresh seafood options here.

Please let us know where you are finding this "plethora" of fresh seafood. Because 99% of the seafood at Publix and Whole Foods is from far far away. And the local fishmonger options are like a needle in a haystack.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:31 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Please let us know where you are finding this "plethora" of fresh seafood. Because 99% of the seafood at Publix and Whole Foods is from far far away. And the local fishmonger options are like a needle in a haystack.
Lots of options actually. Not sure where you’ve been looking, but within just 10 minutes from me, there are 3 markets I go to that sell local catches.

Pretty much all coastal towns in FL have this.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I guess there’s a difference between the east and west coasts of Florida. Our area fishmongers always have local caught fish. Not inexpensive, but fresh off the boat. And many restaurants serve a variety of fresh catch fish like mahi or snapper. Nothing beats an oak-grilled mahi sandwich at Squidlips.

One more thing, why is everyone so grouchy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida