Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 09:07 AM

50 posts, read 63,329 times

Advertisements

hi. im just curious coming from someone who lives in a place with 4 seasons. is life simply 'nicer' living in a place like central to south FL with nearly nice, warm, sunny weather all year long? how is that life living in almost constant sun and hot, warm weather all year long? do you think it brings a higher level of 'happiness' just being able to be outdoors doing stuff all the time or nearly all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 09:35 AM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
we definitely have 4 seasons.....

wet, summer, dry, winter

Florida is a huge state....from latitude 24.5N to 31N.....from agriculture zones 11 to 8

Florida has all kinds of weather...from offshore tropical breeze....to southern heat, humidity, snow, and ice

...the weather in central Florida is completely different than the weather in south Florida....and what they call south Florida is also completely different...the west coast is a lot hotter...and a lot colder...and drier....than the east coast

Last edited by Corrie22; 02-26-2023 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-26-2023, 10:12 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
I have 4 as well mel. Dry, dryer, less dry and dry. Nasty dew points of 74 to 84f for 5 months and lows around 78f to 84f and never much of any weather to speak of but boring. Never any canes or much rain anymore since we don't the winters like we used 2.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I have 4 as well mel. Dry, dryer, less dry and dry.
ROLFL....you couldn't buy rain if your life depended on it....I even swung a white chicken over my head

Old 02-26-2023, 10:19 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Some are hot weather people and some are cold weather people. I think the kind of person you are will determine if a place like Florida is paradise or hell.

Personally, I hate hate hate the cold. I was born and raised in a northern state and everyone thought I didn't know what I was talking about when I began saying at age 12 that I was going to move south. At age 18, I was gone. Came back a few years for other reasons but then left again. For years my family would ask when I was going to move back. It was about ten years before they accepted the answer was never. It's been 40 years now.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
do you think it brings a higher level of 'happiness' just being able to be outdoors doing stuff all the time or nearly all the time?
it definitely does for me.....

Old 02-26-2023, 10:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
I’m currently at cranky rather than happy because we’re having lovely temperatures- daytime highs between 70-80F and I can’t go outside to enjoy it or even really open the windows because it’s also spring pine pollen season and it’s bad enough right now that everything has this greenish-yellowish haze and no amount of Claritin and prescription eye drops can really properly keep the allergies in check.

I never had allergies until about 2-3 years after we moved here and my body decided to perceive assorted pollens as, like, an existential threat.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:02 AM

92 posts, read 75,422 times
Quote:
hi. im just curious coming from someone who lives in a place with 4 seasons. is life simply 'nicer' living in a place like central to south FL with nearly nice, warm, sunny weather all year long? how is that life living in almost constant sun and hot, warm weather all year long? do you think it brings a higher level of 'happiness' just being able to be outdoors doing stuff all the time or nearly all the time?
This is 100% personal choice. I have friends who are die hard snowmobilers and would never leave. They hate the heat and humidity and FL is only for vacation.

I also know a retired couple who retired near Marco Island about 10 years ago. They said after 6 months the walks on the beach stopped, they got bored and moved back north and they both work part-time jobs as their “hobby”.

Nobody can really answer this for you. I highly doubt someone who isn’t a couch potato in a cold(er) climate is going to change any habits simply by moving to a warmer climate.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:57 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:

I live in central Florida and it is NOT "nice, warm, sunny weather all year long." Most of the year it is sunny, hot and humid. When the weather forecast says "sunny" they usually include a postscript that calls for brief scattered showers.

Winter is usually a few days/weeks in Jan and Feb. By April, the average high temperature is 83 degrees with humidity of 64%.

The current average dew point in Florida is 62, which is classified as "Sticky". Florida is the most humid state in the continental US.

https://climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/humidity

Old 02-26-2023, 12:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Some are hot weather people and some are cold weather people. I think the kind of person you are will determine if a place like Florida is paradise or hell.

Personally, I hate hate hate the cold. I was born and raised in a northern state and everyone thought I didn't know what I was talking about when I began saying at age 12 that I was going to move south. At age 18, I was gone. Came back a few years for other reasons but then left again. For years my family would ask when I was going to move back. It was about ten years before they accepted the answer was never. It's been 40 years now.
I'm with you - I despise it even a LITTLE bit cold! I was born and raised in Florida, and I have no desire to live anywhere else. It is true there are some hot and sticky days, but for me it far outweighs having to endure any kind of winter. Here in central Florida where I live everything is spectacularly beautiful and lush, and I just smile because I get to live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida