Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 03:38 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times

Advertisements

I went around 1971 when it first got started and then a field trip in 1975. I never cared for crowds or these kind of places even as a kid.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:38 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
At a minimum any endeavor will at least cost you time, which ironically is the most valuable commodity since it can’t be replenished.
If you are concerned about the value of one's time, at least as measured by "Time Wasted Per Activity Accomplished," then Disney World is about the worst possible place you could have chosen to go.

Quote:
I understand this isn’t a Mensa forum
Quote:
Finally, in your failed attempt to denigrate me, my apologies for you not being able to hack it in South Florida and having to relocate to wherever you now reside
You are correct, this is not a Mensa forum. Probably just as well. A Mensa member could have ascertained my current residence by looking at the "Location" information contained in the upper right of my response box.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:59 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I went around 1971 when it first got started and then a field trip in 1975. I never cared for crowds or these kind of places even as a kid.
Many reasons why Orlando locals avoid those places — insane crowds of tourists and awful drivers are just the beginning.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:16 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Many reasons why Orlando locals avoid those places — insane crowds of tourists and awful drivers are just the beginning.
Much worse now vs the early 70's.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:47 PM

629 posts, read 401,350 times
You have the AARP crowd to thank for that.

This thread’s intention was in good faith. I provided a “good” and “bad” portion to illustrate my recent experience there.

Describing me as a Karen after I spent over $3k and just wanted a good experience for my family is more along the lines of what I would call weird.

Aside from that experience that involved my son crying and being confused about why he couldn’t join his friends like he did previously all day, there wasn’t much else to complain about. Thanks for asking though (not being sarcastic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This is a weird thread.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:50 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Took the family to Disney for my kid's birthday - returned last night and let's just say it was pretty interesting.

The Good:

- Stayed at nice property in Disney Springs so we were within walking distance of amenities in the area so that was convenient.

- The hotel valet parking daily rate was reasonably priced and convenient and the Speedway gas station in Disney Springs was reasonably priced (was genuinely surprised).

- The "mahh rights, mahh freeDUMBS" crowd was noticeably absent...could just be the July heat or Ron De Furher's message is resonating with that demographic.

The Bad:

- There is a not so subtle undertone of disgruntled "cast members" who exhibit a passive aggressive demeanor. My guess is that many are angry about their "lot in in life." Perhaps an Orlando resident can shed more light on the job market in Orange County.

Two particular instances include me heading back to a ride to double check I didn't leave any items behind - I was hastily met by an aggressive young woman who asked what I was doing and blocked my ability to search the rollercoaster cart. I then said "I'm not trying to get back on the ride." She then proceeds to say "Bye" in a smug, nasty way and then I say "Bye cast member!" which I'm sure pissed her off.

Second, and most egregious instance was when a "cast member decided my kid wasn't tall enough for the Pandora ride when he's been riding Mt. Everest, and other rides all day.

Long story short I got Disney management involved and let's just say I received complementary days w/lighting passes, and other goodies - Also, I'm sure those "cast members" are now sweeping floors and taking out trash.

- Maybe because I live in the Miami Metro and we have great restaurants so I'm spoiled, the food wasn't bad, but it wasn't great...especially considering the price.

Overall, Disney in July was hot (no surprise), expensive, and now you can add the possibility of running into passive aggressive employees who offer bad service all while paying $1,500 - $3,000 for the "privilege."

Before you launch on cast members that literally make minimum wage you failed to mention the weather, it was like 100 degrees this week.

How happy would you be in a wacky costume in 100 degree weather trying to make ever tourist feel like a VIP?

Old 07-23-2023, 04:51 PM

629 posts, read 401,350 times
What would a pediatrician gain by providing false information on a 5 year old’s physical?

This is the exact response I’d expect from someone with no kids and probably has zero experience around them. Remind us again what insight you’re capable of providing in scenarios such as this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Sounds to me like the kid is only 43" and his doctor made a mistake, so he figured he'd cash in on it. That's what I'd do if I were a self-righteous snob with an entitled attitude and a snowflake kid.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:08 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
What would a pediatrician gain by providing false information on a 5 year old’s physical?

This is the exact response I’d expect from someone with no kids and probably has zero experience around them. Remind us again what insight you’re capable of providing in scenarios such as this?
40+ years in front end retail, dealing with people such as yourself for a living.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:28 PM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
you guys realize this would be a completely different "scenario"...if the kid had been hurt on that ride...because of his size

....Disney would be getting their feathers sued off...because they let the kid on it

Old 07-23-2023, 05:42 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you guys realize this would be a completely different "scenario"...if the kid had been hurt on that ride...because of his size

....Disney would be getting their feathers sued off...because they let the kid on it
Right… ICON anyone?
Yeah, exactly.

My kids are big enough to fit just about any ride now, but when they were a bit smaller, if they couldn’t EASILY clear the ruler, I wouldn’t take them onto the ride. So if my child was 44” and the ruler was 44”, I wouldn’t take him on there. Give it a few more months for him to grow an extra inch or so and be visibly taller than the mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida