Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 06:23 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you guys realize this would be a completely different "scenario"...if the kid had been hurt on that ride...because of his size

....Disney would be getting their feathers sued off...because they let the kid on it
This is the key point. And let's take it a step further. The OP and his son could have been an undercover inspector, testing the employees for compliance.

If the park could be fined millions of dollars, then of course they're going to err on the side of "he's too short". In this case, the dad threw a tantrum, so they must have concluded, "Okay, this is evidently not an inspector. We did our due diligence, he insists his kid is tall enough, so let him in and give him the usual freebies to shut up and go away."

It's hard to imagine what it must be like dealing with the general public in a place like that. I mean, you have to assume most people are in a good mood... it is Disney, after all... but people these days, sheesh.

My kid has worked part time at the local McDonald's all through high school. A very educational experience.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:34 PM

637 posts, read 407,788 times
You assume that I care where you currently reside…I don’t. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You also assume that this Disney trip was my idea…it wasn’t. Wife and her multiple friends thought it was such a great idea to get the ALL the kids and take them to Disney to accompany my kid for his birthday…1st world, Suburban life/problems I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If you are concerned about the value of one's time, at least as measured by "Time Wasted Per Activity Accomplished," then Disney World is about the worst possible place you could have chosen to go.

You are correct, this is not a Mensa forum. Probably just as well. A Mensa member could have ascertained my current residence by looking at the "Location" information contained in the upper right of my response box.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:41 PM

637 posts, read 407,788 times
Finally a question I have zero rebuttal for. Brother you and the previous poster are correct why did I allow myself to be dragged to Disney in July. If not for my son’s birthday I sure as heck would not be there.

I’m sure the temps did nothing to improve anyone’s mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
I agree with this. I don't have kids, but I was dragged to Disney due to my family a while ago. At least it was during spring break. I appreciate this thread and the OP, but sh*t happens, and it stinks much worse in a Florida summer. Maybe I missed it, but WTF were you thinking going to Disney in the summer heat?

Old 07-23-2023, 06:43 PM

858 posts, read 682,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Took the family to Disney for my kid's birthday - returned last night and let's just say it was pretty interesting.

The Good:

- Stayed at nice property in Disney Springs so we were within walking distance of amenities in the area so that was convenient.

- The hotel valet parking daily rate was reasonably priced and convenient and the Speedway gas station in Disney Springs was reasonably priced (was genuinely surprised).

- The "mahh rights, mahh freeDUMBS" crowd was noticeably absent...could just be the July heat or Ron De Furher's message is resonating with that demographic.

The Bad:

- There is a not so subtle undertone of disgruntled "cast members" who exhibit a passive aggressive demeanor. My guess is that many are angry about their "lot in in life." Perhaps an Orlando resident can shed more light on the job market in Orange County.

Two particular instances include me heading back to a ride to double check I didn't leave any items behind - I was hastily met by an aggressive young woman who asked what I was doing and blocked my ability to search the rollercoaster cart. I then said "I'm not trying to get back on the ride." She then proceeds to say "Bye" in a smug, nasty way and then I say "Bye cast member!" which I'm sure pissed her off.

Second, and most egregious instance was when a "cast member decided my kid wasn't tall enough for the Pandora ride when he's been riding Mt. Everest, and other rides all day.

Long story short I got Disney management involved and let's just say I received complementary days w/lighting passes, and other goodies - Also, I'm sure those "cast members" are now sweeping floors and taking out trash.

- Maybe because I live in the Miami Metro and we have great restaurants so I'm spoiled, the food wasn't bad, but it wasn't great...especially considering the price.

Overall, Disney in July was hot (no surprise), expensive, and now you can add the possibility of running into passive aggressive employees who offer bad service all while paying $1,500 - $3,000 for the "privilege."
There are so many other theme parks in the US and incredible natural areas in the US, I can't understand the attraction of WDW.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:50 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
There are so many other theme parks in the US and incredible natural areas in the US, I can't understand the attraction of WDW.
I rarely ever go there, but I will rapidly admit that there is a certain “magic” feel there that doesn’t exist anywhere else. It is far more than just a theme park.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:19 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,381,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Many reasons why Orlando locals avoid those places — insane crowds of tourists and awful drivers are just the beginning.
I had a Disneyworld/Epcot pass for locals during the off season way back then - better to go when few crowds. Disneyland used to do similar pass also that was good for about 200 days a year (mostly weekdays) at the cost of like 2 days normal admission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Much worse now vs the early 70's.
Not according to this article -

Quote:
Over the last weekend, “The Most Magical Place on Earth” seemed to be super empty, with several photos revealing just how not-crowded the Parks were. The pictures linked below show both Magic Kingdom and EPCOT looking particularly empty on a normal weekend in July

Last edited by ddeemo; 07-23-2023 at 07:28 PM..

Old 07-23-2023, 07:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 688,004 times
Quote:
You think Disney management would just give me those offers if I was the one in the wrong? Let’s use our brain people.…absolutely no business gives away anything of substantial value for free - it’s not sustainable.

So you assumed several cast members did their job incorrectly ALL DAY (We rode SEVERAL rides prior to Pandora), yet the one who denied us entry was the one doing their job correctly?

Extremely poor logical thinking on your part.

Disney sent two managers to verify the height measurement was done CORRECTLY. They all then apologized and made several offers to my family and I. You see my son visited the pediatrician a few days prior to the trip and I brought the paperwork showing his verified height(44”) and weight I was waiting for them to get it right before presenting that document.

Also, do you have young children? Do you take your young children to the theme park? My son was with his other friends ranging from ages 6-8…it gets a bit chaotic. You make quite a bit of hasty, poor assumptions dude.

Are you a disgruntled Disney cast member as well?
You come across as rather condescending and rude. Maybe those cast members were rude as well, but from your tone in this discussion, I have little doubt your attitude didn't help the situation.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Quote:
FINALLY! Someone that gets it!! It is their job to help ensure we have a great time at their facilities…not attempt to find bogus opportunities to deny us entry to amenities. A multi day outing at these theme parks are anything but cheap! We have plenty of amenities here in South Florida…there is little need for my family and I to drive to some manufactured experience to be treated poorly.

With the public assault on Disney’s image from the Governor you’d think they’d care a bit more about public perception.

Far too many boot licks defending Disney’s bad behavior.
You started the political theater with you original post and yet criticize others for bringing up political theater.

Learned a long time ago, before having children, that parents refer to their sons and daughters vs kid. “Took my kid to Disney” sounds like a chore accomplished vs shared experiences.

Your original post was a new thread, asked no questions, and read like a Facebook post than a review. Anyone that enjoys punishment being mete out on the cast members forgot that their children’s’ experiences far outweigh glee from invoking employee punishments. You could have just said “I pay your salaries” to improve their deflated morale.

At no point in your original post or follow on posts did you summarize your children’s happiness at Disney which is basic for providing family related reviews of amusement parks. Clearly you’re fine with the political stances that Disney has taken on many social issues and expect the rest of the state to fall in line with those social prerogatives, irrespective of the governor’s actions.

And lastly, the insults of those that responded to your original post is classic trolling. Many of those replies were simply questions and didn’t require calling into question their mental dexterity. Hope your family enjoys the future complimentary gifts that Disney provided because Disney knows happiness comes first.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:47 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,381,170 times
Quote:
Finally a question I have zero rebuttal for. Brother you and the previous poster are correct why did I allow myself to be dragged to Disney in July. If not for my son’s birthday I sure as heck would not be there.

I’m sure the temps did nothing to improve anyone’s mood.
You really do not need to "rebut" every post. Why in the heck bother to post other than to "brag" about how you owned some poor worker just trying to do their job.

There is no indication that the Disney worker was targeting you and your son - you even say that your son was right at the limit. Maybe if you were polite and just showed the doc proof originally, might have just been a blip in your day instead of bringing in "management" and making it a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida