Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

1 year does not a trend make.

OTOH. I know a Cuban who just left Cuban central Miami because he couldnt stand it any more. He went to Charlotte NC. His comment was to the effect of "they could double my pay well over 100K and I still couldnt buy a house" he went to NC. He moved into a immediate occupancy foreclosure the second he got to NC.

Dont get me wrong. I like FL. The house thing drives me ***crazy***. I am in the 75th percentile of income roughly and I cant afford a stinking house since my wife is a stay at home mom with our baby. 1 good income is not enough. In OH where I came from (Problem -If I could actually have found a good job. Those are scarce in declining OH) I could have easily afforded a ~1800 SF brick ranch with a full dry basement in the Cleveland Suburbs. Now prices do seem to be on the decline and I am watching closely. They seem to have dropped ~10%. Another 10-15% and we will get into the "hmmmmm" category (yes including insurance). I am in Polk county so insurance is still available here. It is expensive but not nearly as bad as hurricane alley. Figure $180 to 200 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Wow an average of 1351 per month moving in and 1418 moving out. Locals are looking for greener pasture outside the state and outsiders are looking at Florida for new life.

For the first time in 30 years, United Van Lines Inc. says it moved more people out of Florida than in, and analysts see that as a sign that consumers are looking elsewhere for a cheaper slice of life.

The nation's largest moving company reported 16,212 inbound shipments to Florida last year and 17,019 outbound shipments. United moved more people to Florida in each year from 1999 to 2004, but the number of inbound moves fell in 2005, spokeswoman Jennifer Bonham said.

United's report shows that North Carolina, Oregon and South Carolina were the top destination states in 2006. Michigan, hit hard by automobile industry layoffs, North Dakota and New Jersey were the states that saw the most people leave.

Moderator cut: link cut
I think it has to do with the fact that people in Florida in most cases have not been here long and leaving is easy. My sister sold her house after like 35 years and you would think there was a death in the family. Since though she has moved two more times. Once she is tired of the place or not happy, moving is as easy as handing the keys to an agent and saying "Sell this dump, I'm leaving". Florida residents have always come and gone but now at least it may be more going then coming.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
1 year does not a trend make.

OTOH. I know a Cuban who just left Cuban central Miami because he couldnt stand it any more. He went to Charlotte NC. His comment was to the effect of "they could double my pay well over 100K and I still couldnt buy a house" he went to NC. He moved into a immediate occupancy foreclosure the second he got to NC.

Dont get me wrong. I like FL. The house thing drives me ***crazy***. I am in the 75th percentile of income roughly and I cant afford a stinking house since my wife is a stay at home mom with our baby. 1 good income is not enough. In OH where I came from (Problem -If I could actually have found a good job. Those are scarce in declining OH) I could have easily afforded a ~1800 SF brick ranch with a full dry basement in the Cleveland Suburbs. Now prices do seem to be on the decline and I am watching closely. They seem to have dropped ~10%. Another 10-15% and we will get into the "hmmmmm" category (yes including insurance). I am in Polk county so insurance is still available here. It is expensive but not nearly as bad as hurricane alley. Figure $180 to 200 a month.
First off let me tell you that I love your screenname!! That is very astute

I found this city-data forum in a totally round about way. I had started to look into moving to NC when I received my homeowner's insurance premium notice last October. I started participating in the NC forum.

I am no rocket scientist but I don't think it takes one to very quickly see that GA,TN, NC, SC and bordering states are getting clobbered with NY/NJ/FL escapees and my gut feeling tells me to try to stay put in Florida as long as I can. Those other states are growing much too fast, don't have the infrastructure to accommodate everyone, and in a few years, I think they will be facing a lot of the same issues some of us would want to run away from.

It's scary and not easy trying to make all the different parts line-up. It's hard work!

Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 AM

442 posts, read 2,913,034 times
vpcats, i think you hit the nail right on the head, i was so wanting to move out of the state, because of the Insurance and Property tax increase, i joined in on the nc, ga, and al boards ..and it seems like EVERYONE is leaving here and going there....Let them, then maybe we ill have a chance to recoup down here..
I know for one GA is alot more expensive to live in then Florida...
not sure about the Nc or Bama....
Florida has alot to offer, beautiful beaches, gorgeous sunsets, and Of course Mickey mouse...
I moved down here from Michigan 9 yrs ago, and although where i live now use to be nice and quiet its not any more ( we are leaving the area and moving else where in Florida)

Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
vpcats, i think you hit the nail right on the head, i was so wanting to move out of the state, because of the Insurance and Property tax increase, i joined in on the nc, ga, and al boards ..and it seems like EVERYONE is leaving here and going there....Let them, then maybe we ill have a chance to recoup down here..
Florida has alot to offer, beautiful beaches, gorgeous sunsets, and Of course Mickey mouse...
I moved down here from Michigan 9 yrs ago, and although where i live now use to be nice and quiet its not any more ( we are leaving the area and moving else where in Florida)
Yep! Sometimes I am a bit impulsive but I've calmed down about relocating since joining the forums. I think I am more interested in other parts of Florida for any real future move. I actually LIKE Florida in all its splendor!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:02 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Perhaps a more accurate way to track this would be to see how many U-Haul trailers were rented elsewhere, dropped off here and vice versa. I'd bet more people move themselves than hire professionals. (I would never hire a moving company again. Their rates are astronomical and they don't give fair reimbursement for what they damage.)

BTW: I'm a native and we're outta here ASAP!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM

68 posts, read 226,230 times
“The housing boom brought more people to the Sunshine State at the start of the decade, but the run-up in home values during the past five years sent property-tax rates soaring. Many residents now say they can’t afford to move elsewhere in Florida because of the huge hit they’d take on taxes.”

“What’s more, busy hurricane seasons in 2004 and 2005 led to massive rate hikes from the state’s largest home insurance companies. ‘It all just pushed us past the breaking point,’ David Levin, a Delray Beach-based housing consultant, said.”

“A couple of years ago, Paul Mount and his wife moved from Wellington (to) a log-cabin home on two acres near Chattanooga. In Wellington, their property taxes were $9,300 a year; their tax bill in Tennessee is $1,100.”

“‘We just got tired of it,’ said Mount. ‘Everything is financial. The state of Florida is just going crazy.’”

“As Floridians struggle with housing affordability and wages that have not kept pace with the cost of living, other states are aggressively trying to capture the Northeast migration that Florida once relied on for its growth, said Levin.”

“‘People move to where their well-being is going to be the greatest,’ said Grant Thrall, a professor of business geography at the University of Florida. ‘Many people find the urban-built environment of Florida totally disgusting.’”

Old 01-13-2007, 01:58 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Should be also noted that many families are relocating away from the metro areas due to the cost of housing, insurance, crime, and over crowding in the public schools.

If the person does take the time to research and look away from Central and South Florida the market is a bit better. Also, many individuals are fascinated by relocating to Orlando or South Miami just because; both areas do have excellent communities as well some that are not. But do to housing cost (driver) and surplus of unskilled jobs (driver) maintain wages low.

In our area we see folks relocating from all states, we just finished the transfer season for military members and this will start again in mid May 2007. Our community used to be 95% of military families, now is more at 70%. We have younger families without children looking at a new start in Northwest Florida.

By the way many senior families did depart the area due to hurricanes and frustrations with insurance companies. But in a short time the newcomers are purchasing again in the area.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:40 PM

155 posts, read 284,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
AJ:

I have been reading your posts and you are highly insightful. I have to, however, disagree with you on this issue. Allow me to express why:

I am in agreement to the FL exudus, there seems to be lots of data on that. It is a fact, I would doubt someone can produce data to dispute that right now.

NC, SC, TX, TN, Southern GA are the host states, where the GOOD FOLK from Florida are hearing to. Please take note of "Good Folk". What do you think is happening to the BAD? Yep, they are staying, they feel at home here, don't they? They seem to get away with everything, it's amazing! Why should they move?!

How often do you think a drug dealer or convenience store robber relocates? Probably once in their lifetime, unless they are on the run. FL seems to be their ending destination. These guys target the good folk (which we all agree are leaving FL in large numbers).

You do the math and tell me... how will Fla "Recoup" as you say if mostly bad guys are staying??

GA is definitely NOT more expensive than FL, have you checked home prices in Atlanta or Savannah? They have no state income tax, but they heavily tax cigarettes and alcohol, but if you can live without those, you should be ok.

Valdosta and many of the souther GA towns are very affordable, you should check it out. Savannah is nice too, much better than Atlanta, that is for sure.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times

GA is definitely NOT more expensive than FL, have you checked home prices in Atlanta or Savannah? They have no state income tax,

Georgia DOES have state income tax - anywhere from 5-7% of your income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida