Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised there isn't one of the caliber of Magic Mountain, Six Flags Great America, or Cedar Point. Busch Gardens and Universal Orlando aren't quite up to snuff. The lack of coasters in SE Florida is utterly baffling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Six Flags owns a big chunk of property in south Sarasota County, but they have never done anything with it.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM

42 posts, read 214,413 times
They don't want to fight with Disney and Universal/seaworld for guests I would imagine...

Old 07-15-2008, 12:43 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluey29 View Post
They don't want to fight with Disney and Universal/seaworld for guests I would imagine...
I suppose. The thing is, Disney and a high-caliber coaster park serve different demographics. Disney is rather tame for somebody who likes thrill rides, while only a sadist puts their 8-year-old on Top Thrill Dragster.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:18 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
I agree I would think a six flags would have gone up by now.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
there was supposed to be one in jacksonville, but back then the city did not want any new growth so they said no and it went to fort myers area, but there is still nothing there anyway, six flags in atlanta keeps getting better and the ride they have there now is taller than anything in florida, that's for sure

Old 07-15-2008, 05:28 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Never went, but my understanding is that Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando WAS a coaster park....

Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Are you kidding? Busch Gardens is awesome!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:23 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I'm surprised there isn't one of the caliber of Magic Mountain, Six Flags Great America, or Cedar Point. Busch Gardens and Universal Orlando aren't quite up to snuff. The lack of coasters in SE Florida is utterly baffling.
I think the coasters in Florida are more on the Entertainment value, although there are some great coasters in the State..Shiekra and Hulk are constanlty among the top 10 in the country.

Kumba, Montu, Gwazzi Lion & Tiger, Sheikra - Busch Gardens, Tampa FL
Kraken, Manta(open 2009) - Sea World, Orlando, FL
Hulk, Dueling Dragons Fire and Ice - Islands of Adventure, Orlando, FL
Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain - Disney Magic Kingdom, Orlando, FL
Rock and Roller Coaster - Disney Studios, Orlando, FL
Expedition Everest - Disney Animal Kingdom, Orlando, FL

Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Never went, but my understanding is that Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando WAS a coaster park....
Universal has that rep,but the truth is that IOA only has 2 real coasters Hulk and Dueling Dragons and a smaller kiddie coaster in the unicorn, Universal has the Mummy and is building another one for 2009 called Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit which looks like it will be pretty good.When You compare that to Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks it's not that much in quality,but in my opinion at least the quality is there.Busch Gardens is probably the closest to a true coaster park and they are all good mostly being built by Bolliger and Mabillard.I've driven 3 times from Miami to Sandusky Ohio to visit Cedar Point and other parks on the trip and CP is as close to coaster nirvana as you can get with 16 coasters.I live close to the Miami Metrozoo which there was a vote to build a waterpark that passed like way back in 2006 and from what they said after the waterpark,they would build some sort of amusement park with rollercoasters.Well it's been 2 years since the vote and there isn't even construction on the waterpark,if any of these actually get built it might be 2020.The best coaster (and only) real coaster you'll find south of Central Fla. is the Dania Beach Hurricane wooden coaster in Boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida