Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Is there a trend? I'm not familiar with any data to suggest that. And a trend with people thinking they will find Utopia? Where is that?

And these early retirees competing for low paying jobs? I'm not familiar with that. Do you have a reference for that?

There are, however plenty of us who worked for over 30 years and saved our money, worked overtime, went to night school, paid our bills without credit card debt, and PLANNED for our "early" retirement.

I'm guessing you're not actually in that demographic and/or know any early retirees....get back to us after you've been in your chosen profession for 30-40 years .

Actually, "early" is how you perceive it. For many companies, mine included, retirement age is non existant, after 30 years of working you get a full pension for life. OR a lump sum. If you take a package you get a very hefty "please leave" incentive lol. For several of us, we actually saved money by retiring. AND relocating even more so.

"Early" retirees are hard workers and can't sit around doing nothing anyway. I've left my old company a couple of times to pursue other interests and when I got bored I went back and they bridged my time. Never an issue either. In fact, they are hiring right now all over Florida and I can go back again but I'm not.

Assuming we WANT TO continue in our occupation say, be a teacher and put up with obnoxious parents and their brats is very unappealing after you do it for a lifetime. Or being an attorney. Yeah, right be adversaries with a bunch of 28-30 year olds who think they are hot shots and cause so many technical and legal errors and take up your time fixing or dealing with the situation...uh nope, enough of that too.

No way am I afraid to work and no way would I ever stay in the same old job/career I did all my life out of fear. I can get a job anywhere any day doing lots of things and living in Florida is not a jail sentence preventing me from moving to any state I want LOL.

From the several retirees I've asked here, that I see at their work, there are definitely two classes. Want to and have to. The HAVE TO people unilaterally would "starve" without it AND they are working for the health care. This tells you that they are no "early retiree" because retirees (particularly early retirees) are leaving with full benefits that they know ahead of time. Who's going to voluntarily retire at 55 without health care LOL ?

If you understand how to manage your little money and your investments were done properly, you can weather inflation and even come out ahead. Everybody yells about inflation. Especially regarging retirees. What's worse, raising and paying for KIDS or a stupid 4-7% COLA adjustment? ha ha

I saved almost 4 percent on income just leaving my old state and I just increased my deductable on auto to make up for the higher rate here.

Yes, I know a number of people who took an early retirement including my ex-husband, two brothers, and several friends. All of them regret it! I have no intention of retiring as long as my health permits me to continue working. I enjoy my work otherwise, I would have changed carrers long ago. I can't imagine doing something unenjoyable for a living. I have invested in my career and love where that has taken me. (Traveling with lectures, inventing new products in my field). I do have almost 30 years in with my profession. I would hate to quit that for bagging groceries.

Those I know who retired early do not have the lifestyle they had hoped and planned for. The price of fuel and healthcare are two wildcards, among others, that cannot be planned for.

One of my brothers retired from General Motors and is worried that he may lose his medical benefits if the company goes bankrupt.

A friend, who retired early, moved to FL expecting his pension to go a long way based on the fact that there is no state income tax there. He had a rude awakening expecially after buying a property at the peek of the bubble and watching the value drop daily since then. He cannot find work or sell his home without a huge loss. He misses his children who live in the midwest and cannot budget many flights to even visit them.

Cost are base on supply and demand. When the baby boomers start entering retirement in large numbers, the supply of services, etc... that they provided in the work force will drop significantly causing inflation.

If you want data, how about reading a newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Runwithscissors,

(Is there a trend? I'm not familiar with any data to suggest that. And a trend with people thinking they will find Utopia? Where is that?

And these early retirees competing for low paying jobs? I'm not familiar with that. Do you have a reference for that?)

Here is a start for the data you want:

http://www.globalaging.org/pension/u...retirement.pdf

Old 07-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Runwithscissors, Yes, in some cases, retirees are competing for low paying jobs.

http://www.teens4hire.org/articles/d...%2020%2003.pdf

Has to do with the economy. Like I wrote earlier, don't be in a hurry to retire from your established profession. You may find youself asking, "Would you like fries with that?"

Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Runwithscissors, Yes, in some cases, retirees are competing for low paying jobs.

http://www.teens4hire.org/articles/d...%2020%2003.pdf

Has to do with the economy. Like I wrote earlier, don't be in a hurry to retire from your established profession. You may find youself asking, "Would you like fries with that?"
Absolutely agree with you 100%. I knew a number of fellow workers at Sears about 10 years ago who took a nice (at that time) severance/retirement package when some major corporate restructuring was done. Most were in mid-fifties to early sixties of age. Virtually every one is back to work today by necessity. Their retirement savings grew little, as health insurance, property taxes and prescription costs consumed a significant amount of their savings and income. The best advice a financial adviser gave me years ago was to stay in the workplace as long as you are possibly able. He said that today's dollars will not pay for all of tomorrow's expenses.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,899 times
Unhappy It's Worse In Florida!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
The neighbor across the street had to pay someone $100 to replace a simple light fixture.
Then the guy charged him a few bucks more because he "threw in" a light bulb.
It took less then 10 minutes.

The neighbor was thankful he got SOMEBODY to do it.

Frank D.
My inlaws wanted a new remote garage door opener installed...they finally found someone who was willing to do it......but he wanted $265.00 to install it......and he didnot even show up the first five times...it took me 15 minutes after they gave up making appointments...and now the only ones with the access code are family......

It is simply amazing what people down there are willing to pay to get something done...especially when you consider...most of the contractors over charge, do sub-standard work and usually will not show up...

Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
The best advice a financial adviser gave me years ago was to stay in the workplace as long as you are possibly able. He said that today's dollars will not pay for all of tomorrow's expenses.
Financially that is great advice, but for me it negates the quality of life issue. Sure I could work longer, but I'd like to retire before my health deteriorates any more than it already has and while I'm still able to enjoy the retirement I've worked my whole life to achieve.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Financially that is great advice, but for me it negates the quality of life issue. Sure I could work longer, but I'd like to retire before my health deteriorates any more than it already has and while I'm still able to enjoy the retirement I've worked my whole life to achieve.
Sunnydee,

I am not sure of your age personally, but it has to factor into any retirement decision that you will make. If one can retire at the age of 55, enough of a nest egg needs to be present to last minimally another 25 years. An individual who has accumulated $500,000 in his/her retirement savings needs to be aware that amount translates to a yearly pension of $20000. Most retirees plan that the interest and/or dividends will suffice to cover their daily costs. Unfortunately, inflation has taken a dramatic chunk of the pensions value in just the past 5 years. Life's necessities of medical care, prescriptions, food and utilities are currently exceeding even the most dramatic predictions. Then the lousy returns for your lump sum are not keeping up with the cost of living... not even close. One's financial health can/will take a toll upon ones medical health or visa versa.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,347 times
Where would you recommend I look for employment. I'm 64 years old and all my appendages are present and work. I'm raising a grandson and need to get him through school (high school & college). My background is in manufacturing management (plant management, purchasing, materials, production). Strong work ethic, blond hair (yes I have hair), well spoken and very humble (thought you might have missed that). I really enjoy work (no sanity check necessary) where the company makes a product in a world where the U.S. is outsourcing everything.

If you out there Mr. Manufacturing Excutive and need a strong loyal employee that knows what he's doing let's talk. They say networking is a key strategy so let's get to networking. You tell someone and they tell someone and ...... that I'm out here needing a job. If you're looking send me you name and I'll tell some one. We've got to promote the positive here and quit licking these food stamps. I started working at 13 bagging groceries, You'd think after all these years I could find something better then a greeter's job and I'm sure tired of hearing "you're over qualified". No I'm under employed. And how about that Cobra Insurance. I know why they call it cobra now. I feel like I've been bit by a poisenous snake every time I write a check for over $750 dollars. Why don't they change the name to Python since they're squeesing me out of every cent I have.

Love you seniors. Let's kick some boody out there and get hired. If not tell me how to start a relief fund in my name.

Last edited by Jerryt71105; 07-27-2008 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: adding comment

Old 07-27-2008, 01:59 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Jerry, where do you live?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,347 times
I live in northern Louisiana which right now is as hot as you probably are in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida