Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Coming from NY, I would also agree and say stay in NJ. More jobs and if you ever need state services, you will get them more in NJ than in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,451 times
Do what you want and if he says no dump him but plan for a hard time but it can be done with hard work!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
I agree with those that say this is why kids need married parents. You need to resolve this with him, not run away because you have a disagreement. Believe it or not, parents that stay married have plenty of fights, but the y resolve them. By doing so, they are teaching their children conflict resolution.

When you run away because you don't agree, you arre not doing your children any favors. You are, in fact, hurting their development.

Your child is two years old. Why aren't you married already?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:32 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Three words, don't do it. You don't need to move to a place that is economically shot with all of that extra baggage on the side.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
good response compelled, could not have said it better

Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Three words, don't do it. You don't need to move to a place that is economically shot with all of that extra baggage on the side.
It amazes me sometimes how people are willing to leave great jobs to move to Florida and then wonder why they can't find a job when they get here and if they do the pay is crap.

In my opinion let them all move down so when I move back up north there will be many jobs waiting for me,lol.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM

20 posts, read 38,027 times
For the person who made the child out of wedlock comment, did you get that from a Scarlett Letter? Seriously, what time period are we in. The question wasn't about her having kids. It was about if she should relocate. I know the feeling of not being happy where you are. Read all my threads lol. The thing is if you stay and you're not happy you might start resenting him for making you stay. He needs to understand you want this change badly enough to consider going without him. Give him time to find a job of course, but if it's important enough to you you should go. And Florida is fun. I used to live there. Would have never moved to Georgia if I had known what was up here. Florida-Beaches, sunshine, my baby sister, and disney. Blows Georgia out of the park.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I wanted to move to Florida for years, but stuck it out in NJ until my son graduated high school, and am so glad I did. The good schools down here are the equivelent of the average schools in NJ.

You need to think about why you want to move to FLorida, so far you haven't made a compelling argument as to what would make life here so much better for you.

Frankly as a parent it's not about you, it's about your kids, and they will get a much better education in NJ. Stay there until they graduate, then go where your heart takes you.

I say that as someone who went through it, and as difficult as it often was to be in NJ when my brain was in FL, it was the right thing to do for my child, and I"m glad I stayed in NJ until he graduated.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greisha1203 View Post
My oldest son is from my first husband and I have sole custody of him, but I have a 2 year old daughter with my fiance. We've been together for 4 years and he is orignally from Miami and I was born here in NEW JERSEY...I want to start a new life with my family in Florida. I'm planning on going to NURSING SCHOOL over there and have my kids start a new life in the Sunshine State. He says that we are not ready to go but I just feel he wants to stay here for a reason. I have put everyones needs before mine and its time to think of myself in order to give the life to my children that they deserve....SHOULD I GO WITH or WITHOUT HIM???????????
Your a family.....you can't and shouldn't go without him. That being said I agree with you that there must a reason that he feels the "family" isn't ready to go.....hes not saying he doesn't ever want the "family" to go.....just that he feels that the "family" isn't ready at this specific point in time......I think rather than pressuring him to leave immediatly you need to talk and find out the reason....or concerns thats causing him to hesitate moving and what can be done to remove those concerns or make him feel more comfortable about moving ?
I wouldn't chose whether to stay or go over economics of the state.....yes, the Florida job market isn't that good at this moment but that will change with a stronger economy.....however,.....on the other hand living in New Jersey will be a life long financial struggle due to an out of control cost of living, excessive property taxes and state taxes on everything but the air that you breathe and that will never change...even with a stronger economy.....at least in Florida you can enjoy a day sitting on the beach without having to pay a fee !!!

Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-22-2009 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
I believe you need to look at the entire picture. Do you even have friends and family in Florida? Even though your not married would you be able to take your child out of state? Do you think if you leave he will eventually follow, are you prepared if he doesn't? Can you afford to raise two kids on your own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: