Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,891 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been reading these boards for a while now and decided to create an account so that I can ask all you helpful people for information.

My wife and I just got married and are doing preliminary research about moving to a warmer climate. One of the main things we have in common is that we both hate winter!!

Some background about us:

We live in Toronto, Canada and are what you would consider well off. Not rich by any means but easily able to afford little luxuries like 2 cars, annual vacations, restaurant dining, etc.

My wife is a dental hygienist and I work in IT. Changing careers is out of the question as we are both in our early 30s and will be starting a family very soon.

We have been doing a lot of research online and my wife is actually licensed to work in her field in FL. However, does anyone here personally know a dental hygienist there? Anyone in IT? If so, what are the jobs like? Are there opportunities in these fields?

Based on nothing more than what we've read, we like the Sarasota area. Good choice, bad choice?

We would never move there without having jobs first. And we also would never do it without visiting many areas in the state first. We are planning a trip down there in late December. Flying to Tampa or Sarasota and then driving down the coast to Marco Island and then across to Weston (where I have family) and then to Fort Lauderdale and fly home.

We love the heat so weather won't be a factor. And I really do mean LOVE the heat. The hotter the better.

Any advice? Tips? Any other transplanted Canadians here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Your wife may find jobs more easily than you....I see dental hygienist jobs all the time here online. For what it's worth, my Phila dentist up North told me all the retirees move to Florida and splurge on their teeth LOL.

I believe him because when I was moving here in May, he gave me the name of the cosmetic dentist in Palm Beach who told him that.

You probably have tons of people with no insurance who skip the dentist, too....these higher end dentists don't take insurance, ime, but will submit it for you if you self pay. Then you get a check for 18.00 for a 1000.00 crown lengthing LOL.

I would suggest she start with trying to find positions with cosmetic dentists/reconstruction or periodontists or endodontists. They are serious about dental health and equally serious about their staff in my experience.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,929,715 times
I agree with runswithscissors, your wife will find jobs easier than you.
I came to Florida with about 25 years of designing networks and software. I thought I'd be successful here. I had my own consulting company for about 8 years. I'm now in real estate.
I switched not because there was no work, but the majority of the work was less than exciting.
I think your limiting issue is the IT work, I'd look Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Miami for IT ( in that order) your wife should be able to find work where ever you do.
If you can find IT work in Sarasota I think you'll be happy with the area.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:14 PM

162 posts, read 229,711 times
Sarasota is hard to beat if you're not looking for a major market. Sure there are lots of rich people but most aren't. I think the rich are a positive as they pay big taxes and the police are ready to keep things in order though they aren't very visible. I've been all over the state and the Sarasota area is my favorite.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Do you have visas/work permits?

I do believe Canadians have limitations on how long they can stay and/or work here.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,562 times
Default finding jobs online

Hi,

Just had to respond, to ask how you found Dental Hygienist jobs online, I am also a Dental Hygienist, looking to move back to Florida, and I would be interested to see what and if any jobs are available in this current financial crisis, as at the time I do have a good job, but miss family and friends, thanks so much for any info.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:43 PM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
Sarasota is a great choice, but to be able to continue affording those little luxuries you'll just need to get extremely lucky if you're in IT. You may end up commuting 40-50 miles one way to Tampa Bay area. But even this may not be the answer these days. As an example, some 8 years ago 9 of my co-workers moved to Tampa from Chicago when the company offered a relocation option. All of them were in IT and in a financial situation that was similar or better than yours. 2 years ago 6 of those 9 ended up getting laid off. Of the 6, none remained in Tampa and only one is still in Florida. None of the 5wanted to leave the state, but it was the only way to keep affording the lifestyle they've become too used to.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
There are some IT jobs in Tampa but there are also a lot of folks looking for a job, many of them live in Tampa. If you don't have a local phone/address # don't expect a call back.

There are consultant jobs however, you never know how long those will last.

To be honest, I have friends who were just laid off a couple of months ago and they are still trying to find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida