Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 15,862 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be moving from NYC to Spring Hill this April. Can anyone offer advice as to whether we should move our furniture (bedroom/dining room) along with personal effects or just buy new once we settle in. We would be using a moving company not driving a truck ourselves. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 AM

177 posts, read 684,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadey41 View Post
Hello,
I will be moving from NYC to Spring Hill this April. Can anyone offer advice as to whether we should move our furniture (bedroom/dining room) along with personal effects or just buy new once we settle in. We would be using a moving company not driving a truck ourselves. Thanks!!
We are looking to move to Fla within the next 2 months and have been getting prices. It turns out that we are better off renting a small Penske truck and getting rid of the majority of our furniture. We have what I lovingly call "early American junk." We can buy a new living room set and bedroom set for less than it will cost to have a moving company move us, even factoring the cost of the Penske truck.
We will be taking a couple of small beds, tv, dining room table and some small end tables, etc. We won't have a problem loading those into a truck.
My wife also gets some new furniture, which makes her quite happy.
If you are taking a lot of furniture or if you live in an apartment, especially up a few floors, it is probably better to hire a moving company.
Good luck on your move.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Unless it's an antique you can't part with, usually, long hauls w/movers are more expensive than if you'd sold your furniture & bought new...

If you rent a truck, it's a lot more easy on the wallet...It cost my mom $2,500 to move her "junk" from Ft. Lauderdale to Sarasota...IMO, not worth it...she's moving back to the East Coast and not moving the junk, now.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
I'm interested in responses, too, since we'll be moving from Northern New York to N. Ft. Myers this fall. My issue is that hubby made us some beautiful end tables, coffee table, kitchen islane, and dining room table that I can't part with. We'll be getting rid of our mammoth sofa and recliner, a queen bed, and a lot of other furniture, too, but taking a bedroom suite (including a king flex-a-bed) and a whole bunch of misc. "stuff" like wood shop tools. Still, you wouldn't believe how much "stuff" we've already unloaded....I mean sold or given away. ;-)

Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I'm interested in responses, too, since we'll be moving from Northern New York to N. Ft. Myers this fall. My issue is that hubby made us some beautiful end tables, coffee table, kitchen islane, and dining room table that I can't part with. We'll be getting rid of our mammoth sofa and recliner, a queen bed, and a lot of other furniture, too, but taking a bedroom suite (including a king flex-a-bed) and a whole bunch of misc. "stuff" like wood shop tools. Still, you wouldn't believe how much "stuff" we've already unloaded....I mean sold or given away. ;-)
To move from Lancaster Pa to Zephyrhills, we got a couple of tentative quotes from moving companies for $4500 to $5000 for the move. I expect that it may be a little higher. If we get rid of most of our old furniture and only move a few things, I have a quote from Penske for $834.00 for a 14 foot truck. That leaves me about $4000 for new furniture. Checked prices in the Tampa area and found that a queen sized bed can be bought for about $800. A decent living room set for about $1600 and a bedroom set for about $1500. The internet is a wonderful thing.
I am 62 and drove fire trucks for a long time so I am comfortable driving a 14' truck. Some others may not be. The furniture that we decided that we will take with us can be loaded by my wife and I without too much trouble. Others may not feel up to it.
As for the stuff, we got ruthless and got rid a lot of stuff but if you have a lot of things that you really don't want to part with, using a moving company is probably the best option.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM

43 posts, read 206,436 times
Question Re: Why are all of you moving to Florida?

Why are you moving to Florida?

Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 AM

Hi, Sarah. Personally, we're moving because we've lived in NNY our entire lives and want to spend our retirement in a warmer community. It's a beautiful area here, but 50+ years of cold weather has taken its toll. That's it in a nutshell.

Thanks for the info on the movers. Some of the stuff we're taking is a bit much for us to handle - the tools, the kitchen island, and the beds, for the most part, so we're pretty sure we're headed with "professional" movers.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Hi, Sarah. Personally, we're moving because we've lived in NNY our entire lives and want to spend our retirement in a warmer community. It's a beautiful area here, but 50+ years of cold weather has taken its toll. That's it in a nutshell.

Thanks for the info on the movers. Some of the stuff we're taking is a bit much for us to handle - the tools, the kitchen island, and the beds, for the most part, so we're pretty sure we're headed with "professional" movers.

Good luck. I sure want to get away from these 5-10 degree temperatures and windchills below zero.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:44 AM

Thanks again, Watson. Your input is appreciated, as is your encouragement. Thank goodness we're not in western NY, right? I hope Faithful Frank got out ok on Tuesday.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:37 AM

11 posts, read 44,435 times
Default Unless it is sentimental or new.....

If it isn't sentimental or new......don't worry about it. It is easier to not deal with the hassle and expense of moving it and you can buy new furniture to fit your house-not a new house to fit your furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida