Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

What are you doing to stretch your $$$ in Florida?

We consolidated our trips for shopping and we only go out to eat once a week....

I also carpool (for 3 years)...

Give us some ideas to get a money savings results...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 06:41 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
Nothing. I'm still living large. Somebody has to shell out money to keep these businesses going.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:43 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
We weren't really big spenders anyway. We might get a pizza each week, but only went out to eat once or twice a month and then sports bar food- nothing fancy.

We've driven Toyotas for years, so gas wasn't ever a problem.

One thing I have done is stopped using credit cards and now I try to use my ATM exclusively, except for gas. The new debit cards work like credit cards without the interest.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What are you doing to stretch your $$$ in Florida?

We consolidated our trips for shopping and we only go out to eat once a week....

I also carpool (for 3 years)...

Give us some ideas to get a money savings results...
Wow, only going out to eat once a week? Wish I could do the same, thats living high on the hog in these parts, we have had 6 restaurants go down recently, not to mention the 5 furniture stores, and who else knows how many mom-and-pop businesses.
we have the highest unemployment in the state here in Marion County, glad to hear someone is still able to eat out, or perhaps I should say eat period?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I live debt free, within my means, so I haven't really had to degrade my lifestyle at all. I did start taking some college classes however, because you have to have something stable to stand on in turbulent times. Most posters here would probably be surprised to hear how young I am. I'm trying to drift further and further away from my job and more towards a college education, since I believe now is the time and I did build myself a comfortable situation. That's why I figure that if I can do well enough here to live a decent, even fairly luxurious lifestyle, why can't someone else with a higher education and more life/work experience do the same?

So, instead of trying to stretch my dollars, I'm trying to build a foundation to grow my dollars.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:13 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
I also live debt free...... and eat chicken gizzards & rice. Been eating a lot of Ramen lately also, I guess the next item will be dinning with the cat at floor level.... I drive a 1996 Rice Burner with 275,000 miles....... It's so much fun living in Florida.... Once you hit 40 your a dinosaur in Florida. Unless you have 9 masters and 12 letters behind you sir name you live the Bubba Jim and Emmy Sue life style...... " Getter Done"

Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post

We weren't really big spenders anyway. We might get a (some moderately priced restaurant) each week ... nothing fancy.

We've driven Toyotas for years, so gas wasn't ever a problem.

... credit cards ...
Assuming one pays them off in full every month, I find credit cards useful because 1) they accumulate miles on frequent flier programs 2) they help keep track of expenses.

One thing not mentioned so far: shop especially for fruits and vegetables at local produce stands/farmers markets.

To be sure, they have imported foods, but, generally speaking, support local agriculture and it will support you, especially in the times that we are about to face.

Another thing: be sparing with the air-conditioning, at the least raise the temperature at night.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Assuming one pays them off in full every month, I find credit cards useful because 1) they accumulate miles on frequent flier programs 2) they help keep track of expenses.

One thing not mentioned so far: shop especially for fruits and vegetables at local produce stands/farmers markets.

To be sure, they have imported foods, but, generally speaking, support local agriculture and it will support you, especially in the times that we are about to face.

Another thing: be sparing with the air-conditioning, at the least raise the temperature at night.
credit cards are good if you pay them off every month since you can get rebates or gifts with money you were going to spend anyway. i don't like to see them in the drive-thru at fast foods though since they slow the line down a little. i think we should be growing our own fruit since our citrus growers refuse to stop hiring illegal immigrant workers. i agree about the air conditioning and i like to feel a warm circulating breeze better than the cold air conditioning. i also like to go on the internet for product clearances when i am looking for something specific or to the fat wallet website.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:00 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times
I'm with Compelled - we already live below our means, so we haven't cut back on anything. When my cell phone plan expires I may only renew 1 phone instead of two; we really don't need two.

I guess we eat out less, but that's because some of our favorite restaurants have closed (Don Pablo's, Roadhouse Grill).

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,657 times
i saw a clip on the news of this women who started buying store brands instead of name brands at the groccerie store. she is saving alot. whoo hoo for her i said to my husband, what about all of us that have been doing that right along, where do we go for the savings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: