Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
See it's not so bad to have us Yankees down there is it? LOL... MA is always a blue state. I voted in FL from up here with an absentee ballot being I am still a FL resident. You can guess where my vote went.
Not at all - we love the nice ones who come here and bring about positive change. And by the way, you are welcome back here any time! (Great weather here right now you know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Thanks much! It is entirely possible if my step dad opens up a new deli... I told him I will go back, he pays moving expenses though!!!!!!!!!

74 in Cape Coral with low humidity sounds great to me. It's nice here too right now 61 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not at all - we love the nice ones who come here and bring about positive change. And by the way, you are welcome back here any time! (Great weather here right now you know....

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
However, if I read correctly the results for the State house, a majority of the winners is republican.

If this is the case, can someone explain it?
This is only anecdotal so don't take this as law. I saw SEVERAL people when I was on line waiting to vote bubble in the obama/bidden box and leave the rest blank. When they would feed the paper into the machine you would hear all this beeping. The poll worker would then say "you have left many blank" and they would say "yes, I know" then they would ask them if they were ok with that, the person would say yes and leave. I don't think people cared much about local politics which scares the hell out of me, but I guess it is what it is.

Others just circled the first bubble on every choice (this is what I over heard from co workers, friends and people coming out of the polling station speaking to friends waiting for them)

Man here in broward they ALMOST passed the MTA (metro transit authority) initiative. That really upset me that they didn't. Oh well *shrugs*

Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
A couole of points on the election. Florida's population is currently 35.5% minority now with 15.4% black & 20.1% hispanic so this is what have may helped Obama in counties (especially central Florida) where minorties make up a significant portions of the populace.
On Amendment 2, I think the threshold for it to pass was 60% and it squeeked by at 62% I believe. Perhaps one day maybe Florida can pass civil unions since marriage seems to be a lightning rod buzzword for many.
By the way I voted here in Orange county at the last minute & had no lines!
PS : I was one of the 4 million+ voters that turned Florida blue!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default I only voted for Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
This is only anecdotal so don't take this as law. I saw SEVERAL people when I was on line waiting to vote bubble in the obama/bidden box and leave the rest blank. When they would feed the paper into the machine you would hear all this beeping. The poll worker would then say "you have left many blank" and they would say "yes, I know" then they would ask them if they were ok with that, the person would say yes and leave. I don't think people cared much about local politics which scares the hell out of me, but I guess it is what it is.

Others just circled the first bubble on every choice (this is what I over heard from co workers, friends and people coming out of the polling station speaking to friends waiting for them)

Man here in broward they ALMOST passed the MTA (metro transit authority) initiative. That really upset me that they didn't. Oh well *shrugs*
and No on the Marriage Amendment. I didn't have any problems with that.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It doesn't explain my county, Duval. Duval was one of only 2 counties that voted against property tax reform - we did not want it. Obama barely won Duval in this election, yet nearly all the other offices went Republican . It is perplexing for sure. My only explanation is that the only people who bothered to vote beyond the presidential line were Republicans.
I am not suprise at all that Duval went red. Not sure why it's a suprise.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
and No on the Marriage Amendment. I didn't have any problems with that.
I voted yes

Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
I am not suprise at all that Duval went red. Not sure why it's a suprise.
Thank God Duval went red , unfortunately it was only by 6,000 votes. BTW Hillsborough went blue by an even smaller margin than Duval, so Tampa is also a red area.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:03 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,480 times
"Not at all - we love the nice ones"

Key word = nice!

C'mon back ChrisA70, I'll sell you my house in Orlando so I can move northward!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Lol.... I'll wait it out a bit. Nah, Orlando is for sure not where I would go to. Thanks anyways man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
"Not at all - we love the nice ones"

Key word = nice!

C'mon back ChrisA70, I'll sell you my house in Orlando so I can move northward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida