Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:29 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwick
We also have had our house on the market for sometime. It is a buyers market. Zillow is not accurate. Try bank of america we found that to be more accurate. There is so much construction that is going up the builders are also feeling it. We just took ours off the market to sell ourselves. Our realtor wasn't doing much. We asked for a open house she wouldn't have one it drove me crazy. We will now lower the price a great deal with the saving from the realtors commission. I this helps.
I disagree with some of your statements. Well, I actually agree with "Zillow is not accurate". However it has been very close on everything I lookup, with only a few exceptions.

As far as the open house issue, your agent might have a point. Too many open houses is not helpful, it can actually have a negative impact. Just imagine your neighboor having an open house every weekend for the past 2 months. I think you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM

125 posts, read 505,211 times
I don't want a open house weekly. Just one or two would have worked. We live on over 2 acres. Our neighborhood has only 60 homes one way in one way out. Homes only horses welcomed. There is hardly traffic in here. So I thought just getting people in to look would help. The homes range from 375 and up. Everything is new from roof, paint, appliances, wood floors new furniture, pool. I am just frustrated. We are going to lower the price alot more like I said and get a realestate lawyer to handle the paper work. I am home all day to show it. We are moving out of state so we want to sell by August the latest due to school starting. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:51 AM

I know how tough it is. I sold my home last month and I have friends selling theirs. We're not in FL but the market is slow pretty much everywhere.

My approach was a little different, before I put the house on the market, I extensively talked with my agent about price, we looked at all comparable homes and recent sales. Per his advice, I really needed to make sure I priced the house correctly since the beginning. I wasn't too happy with the price we came up with, I guess it's true that most home owners are emotionally attached to their homes and have unrealistic expectations of their house value. Anyway.. We put the house on the market for what we thought was the right price after all the exaustive research and the house sold after 1 month for 98% asking price. I'm happy. I guess the bottom line is - demand is low, inventory is high, so the only way you can sell it quick is to price the home correctly. That might not the price you want or the amount of money you need. It's the price buyers are willing to pay.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:00 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
I disagree with some of your statements. Well, I actually agree with "Zillow is not accurate". However it has been very close on everything I lookup, with only a few exceptions.

As far as the open house issue, your agent might have a point. Too many open houses is not helpful, it can actually have a negative impact. Just imagine your neighboor having an open house every weekend for the past 2 months. I think you get the idea.
a problem with zillow that i have seen is it only uses house area. it doesnt take condition into account or certain extras. a house at say 1600 sf may show 270k and have trashy bathrooms and cabinets and counters, etc and a house right next door at 1600 sf may show 270k but it has maybe granite counters and tiled baths with jacuzzi tubs, etc.,, a appraiser will add this in but not zillow.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 AM

145 posts, read 849,609 times
Just a thought,
It may be helpful if you advertise in the NE area.[ NJ,NY, Philly area]
There are many people who will be moving down to FL and the Carolinas now and over the next several years.
Also, is your realtor being truthful with you about feedback from potential buyers.
Mine was not, and finally a friend suggested I get rid of all my "person stuff"
like pictures off the fridge, clear everything off kitchen counters, etc.
She explained people get distracted looking at these things and cannot picture themselves living there.
She was correct, as I sold shortly after that for 5k below asking price.
Just trying to share my experience in the same situation.
Good Luck

Old 06-16-2006, 10:33 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiv
Just a thought,
It may be helpful if you advertise in the NE area.[ NJ,NY, Philly area]
There are many people who will be moving down to FL and the Carolinas now and over the next several years.
Also, is your realtor being truthful with you about feedback from potential buyers.
Mine was not, and finally a friend suggested I get rid of all my "person stuff"
like pictures off the fridge, clear everything off kitchen counters, etc.
She explained people get distracted looking at these things and cannot picture themselves living there.
She was correct, as I sold shortly after that for 5k below asking price.
Just trying to share my experience in the same situation.
Good Luck
Exactly...keep your personal effects packed away. Put up different pictures instead of pictures of your family. You can pick up some cheap ones.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 AM

pattiv that's definitely true.

And here is one more advice from a potential buyer (not necessarily in FL): Please *don't* stay in your house during a showing. I calculate that 20% of the houses I looked at had their owners *in* the house when I visited it with my agent. They were not sale-by-owners properties so there's no reason at all for the owners to be there. At least to me this is a HUGE turn off.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
pattiv that's definitely true.

And here is one more advice from a potential buyer (not necessarily in FL): Please *don't* stay in your house during a showing. I calculate that 20% of the houses I looked at had their owners *in* the house when I visited it with my agent. They were not sale-by-owners properties so there's no reason at all for the owners to be there. At least to me this is a HUGE turn off.
EXACTLY! I have no idea how many times I've upset the homeowners with comments like 'I'd rip out the landscaping' or 'I'd rip this wallpaper down'. I do stuff like open and close each cupboards, turn the water on to see what the pressure is like, jump up and down on the deck to make sure it's sturdy. Homeowners for some reasons do not like to see that!

Those people are still emotionally attached to their homes.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 AM

145 posts, read 849,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla
EXACTLY! I have no idea how many times I've upset the homeowners with comments like 'I'd rip out the landscaping' or 'I'd rip this wallpaper down'. I do stuff like open and close each cupboards, turn the water on to see what the pressure is like, jump up and down on the deck to make sure it's sturdy. Homeowners for some reasons do not like to see that!

Those people are still emotionally attached to their homes.
Yes! I forgot that part. By all means get out of the house.
People do not feel comfortable if you are there.
They want to open kitchen cabinets, check out closets[ make sure they look good- not over stuffed.]

One buyer came in while I was cooking dinner and he spent the whole time talking with me about food in the kitchen. Not a good thing.

Make sure your Realtor gives you notice, so you can be prepared.
Make sure your Realtor gives you notice

Old 06-16-2006, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,279 times
here's a viewpoint from a buyer. I am currently in the Philly area and will be moving to Jax/St. Aug in a couple of weeks. My wife and I have looked at homes in South Jax/St. Aug on two separate occasions in the past three weeks and here are a few of our observations. Please keep in mind that this is our opinion only.

1. sellers are expecting too much return on their houses, especially the newer homes. We looked at one home that was very nice and we were interested in it. The asking price was $387,000 and the home was only six months old. The sellers bought the house for $330,000 only six months ago and they are expecting a profit return of close to $10,000/month. Not my money i tell you!! We are running into this all over the area. Inventory in N.E. Fl. is at an all-time high and sellers need to be more realistic about value. I don't mind spending money, what i mind is not getting value. The Jax/St. Aug area just doesn't merit the kind of home prices that people are asking for. Not to impugn your fine home.

2. most homes in this region are right next to one another and on really small properties. my current home is on .24 acres which is really small for my area. this about largest lot i have been able to find in my search. Coming from the N.E. of the country it is taking me a lot of adjusting to come to terms with a place that doesn't give you any property with the homes built one on top of the next and the home isn't any nicer than what i am coming from but people are asking the same or more for the house.

3. in newer home neighborhoods for example in the N.W. part of St. Johns county, they are building so fast that the infrastructure is not yet in place to sustain the homes they are building. There are few access roads completed, few shopping centers for basic needs, and i'm told access to 95 in the morning is hellish because none of the access roads are completed yet.

4. properties that are closer to the beach or downtown St. Aug. not withstanding the million dollar mansions on the beach, are usually quite small and not updated with new bathrooms, kitchens, etc. I would love to live closer to the beach or downtown but i can't see spending 3-400K on a house built in the 50's or 60's that i not will not be able to make capital improvements on either because i sunk all the money into buying the home or the property is so small that i can't expand.

Anyway, i hope this gives you an idea of what goes through a buyers head when they are looking at properties. My head anyway. I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida